Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience, power management with Fermi is exactly the issue. With my GTX570 HD, I always had the sleep/wake problems noted in this thread if AGPM was loaded. Regardless of edits; none fix it. Same issues with Lion and Mountain Lion.

When I installed Mountain Lion, I did a fresh install on a new, empty Samsung 830 256G SSD. I used the MacPro 3,1 system definition to avoid AGPM. With no overclocking, I have no issues whatsoever with Mountain Lion. Sleep/wake works every time, whether it's automatic, from the Apple menu, or via the power button. 30 seconds to 12 hours of sleep, it always works. That's never been true for me when AGPM is loaded.

I suspect many of you would see your problems disappear by using a system definition that doesn't load AGPM. I'd start with MacPro 3,1. And I think it would be very helpful to say whether or not you're loading AGPM when posting in this thread.

i already have tried MacPro3.1 my standard, and MacPro5.1 with no luck.
i also have nothing in console by entering "agpm" so i thought would give a try with the agpm edit guide. with no luck.

My System Specs:
Bootloader: - Chimera v1.11.0
CPU: - Intel i7 960 (3.2 GHz Quad-Core)
MB: - Gigabyte x58a-ud3r rev.2
RAM: - 6GB Corsair
Video: - nVidia GeForce GTS 450 (1GB)
Audio: - External - M-Audio FireWire 410

I am also experiencing the freeze.

Thinkpad W520 with a Quadro 1000m card. On my Lion build, I could sleep without issues. Now on ML, I get the same NVDA errors as all of you upon Wake-up. Tried changing screen resolution and also got stuck on the blue screen. When I wake from sleep, the mouse is not frozen, but everything else is frozen and the dock is corrupted.

I am using AGPM, but I'm not sure if I patched it appropriately as I'm not seeing any state switch in the console:

2012-08-05 11:06:40.000 PM kernel[0]: [AGPM Controller] build GPUDict by Vendor10deDevice0dfa

This is the only log I get relating to AGPM in my console.

Still no fix? Sleep is the last major thing I need to fix before having a perfect Thinkbook Pro.

but you got: "2012-08-05 11:06:40.000 PM kernel[0]: [AGPM Controller] build GPUDict by Vendor10deDevice0dfa"

i'm not even get this after patching. i got only PM kernel[0]: [AGPM Controller] unknown bla bla bla bla......
But otherwise, yes, i have exact the same issue with graphics. sometimes Blue Screen sometimes White Screen sometimes Glitches etc...

to me it looks like it's a issue with Video Clock?

if i repair permissions in Disk Utility i got this: see Attached File. something about "GPURestartReporter" maybe something that can help, don't know.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2012-08-05 um 11.33.54.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-08-05 um 11.33.54.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 377
Not really a solution but my EVGA GTX 550 TI wouldn't allow me to use Mountain Lion. I switched to Asus 210 Silent and it works flawlessly. Even dual monitor (HDMI + DVI) works. This very cheap card can be a nice alternative to 550 TI until a fix for it is out.

In my experience, power management with Fermi is exactly the issue. With my GTX570 HD, I always had the sleep/wake problems noted in this thread if AGPM was loaded. Regardless of edits; none fix it. Same issues with Lion and Mountain Lion.

When I installed Mountain Lion, I did a fresh install on a new, empty Samsung 830 256G SSD. I used the MacPro 3,1 system definition to avoid AGPM. With no overclocking, I have no issues whatsoever with Mountain Lion. Sleep/wake works every time, whether it's automatic, from the Apple menu, or via the power button. 30 seconds to 12 hours of sleep, it always works. That's never been true for me when AGPM is loaded.

I suspect many of you would see your problems disappear by using a system definition that doesn't load AGPM. I'd start with MacPro 3,1. And I think it would be very helpful to say whether or not you're loading AGPM when posting in this thread.

I know about the AGPM errors, but this time this is not the case. As I stated before, I've did a fresh install and use a MacPro 3.1 smbios. AGPM does not load but the graphic problem appears even at first restart. I even change my smbios to MacPro 5.1, iMac 11.2, iMac 12.1 and back to MacPro 5.1. AGPM does not load on any of this. Then I edited AGPM using the method I described on this same post, and now AGPM loads correctly and change states, but the problem is still there, with the only difference that now the GPU runs cooler than before.

So, regardless of sleep/wake problem, we have other problems like connecting a second screen, power off and then back on the screen, change resolution, going fullscreen on certain apps and games (or exiting fullscreen), that appears not to be related with AGPM because it does not change anything if AGPM loads or not, except for the fact that if it loads and recognize the card the system runs better.

this Picture is not from me, but i want to say that i have everything Enabled (only intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech. i have set to AUTO) and i get a nice Geekbench score to.

And i know that it's not a Hardware compatibelity issue, as everything (SleepEnabler etc..) was running nice on Lion 10.7.4

hope this helps a bit.

Attachments

• bios_advanced_cpu.jpg
    bios_advanced_cpu.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 382
My apologies. I assumed the problems you all were pointing out were the same as those I had with the GTX570 HD because the symptoms are all the same. Sounds like there's something special about the 550Ti.

MacPro 3,1 will not load AGPM. MacPro 5,1 will load it, as will many others.

With my GTX570 HD, if I use any system definition that loads AGPM (with or without edits in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist), I get the symptoms in this thread. In my case, I don't need to look at the system logs and I don't actually care if it logs anything or not. kextstat | grep AGPM is all I need to see to know if I'm going to have wake from sleep issues or monitor power off/on issues (blue screen after wake, garbage blocks on screen after wake, password text box in wrong position with blinking cursor but doesn't echo input after wake, and of course no recovery other than a reboot). If AGPM is loaded, I have the issues. If it's not, everything works. With Lion, AGPM caused trouble much less frequently than it did in Mountain Lion (usually didn't happen if sleep was short, say a few minutes), but it still happened often enough for me to decide I didn't ever want it to load (roughly one out of every 2 or 3 overnight sleeps).

Wish I could be more help. I'll step out of the way and best of luck finding a resolution!

i already have tried MacPro3.1 my standard, and MacPro5.1 with no luck.
i also have nothing in console by entering "agpm" so i thought would give a try with the agpm edit guide. with no luck.

My System Specs:
Bootloader: - Chimera v1.11.0
CPU: - Intel i7 960 (3.2 GHz Quad-Core)
MB: - Gigabyte x58a-ud3r rev.2
RAM: - 6GB Corsair
Video: - nVidia GeForce GTS 450 (1GB)
Audio: - External - M-Audio FireWire 410

It has nothing to do with AGPM, because it never was loaded up and don't show up in my console app. but the issue with the graphics are here. at least for me.

i would say, maybe i'm wrong.

Any modifications for ML needed? I thinking about buying a GT 640 if its easy to install.

PNY GT640 worked with no modifications. Just turned GraphicsEnabler off. I also ended up editing my AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext, but it works without that. That's just to keep the temps and power bill down.

Edit: If you've installed all the SMC plugins, you'll have nvclockx.kext in /s/l/e or in your /extra folder. You'll have to delete it, it doesn't support kepler GPUs yet.

Guys ...

We all talk about a symptom that thse system Freezes after the wake from sleep. This is NOT true.
I'll setup a ping test between a Wake From Sleep affected Hackintosh and a windows system. The endless ping (ping -t from windows)
will stop when the hack enters sleep mode. Pressing the power button again starts to wake up the system. Artefacts on screen
as seen by you all folks, but guess wahat the ping session will resume (the hack is replying) to the ping...

Now I started to Install VNC on it ... Because the system is still alive I try to see whats happening when the system is
waked with artefacts but what is the screen when accessing it remote by VNC ... Well after waking Up I can access
the system by VNC but no screen information is there anymore just black also no remote mouse movements are vissible.

Conclusion : Still some parts in the system are alive.

In the past I saw something in a Bios, something like "reposting / resetting videocard after suspend"
It looks that the original video information, which should be into the Vram, is gone after a wake up causing artefacts ?

From my experience with my 560Ti like you say the problem is the display (or all of the display except the mouse) is freezing. When my system "froze" it was halfway through an app installation, but after a reboot it was completely installed! I turned off computer sleep but I was still getting problems. Only after turning off screen sleep has it failed to repeat...yet...

If I manually sleep sometimes it recovers and sometimes it doesn't. Will have a look at the logs tonight but doubt I will be able to make anything of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back