Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of this moment, I haven't bought a new video card, but I've got my eyes on this chipset because of the value proposition. I don't want to upgrade to a GTX 560 Ti or GTX 670 for twice the price (or more), and ZOTAC makes a GTX 550 Ti with DisplayPort (which is a requirement for me).

I also want something reasonably low-powered so I'm following this thread closely.

I just got my first ever Hackintosh working perfectly with Lion not too long ago, with an EVGA 550Ti, and I would hate to have to dump the card for something else -- I guess I could revert to HD4000 if I must -- or skip the ML upgrade altogether... I'm curious to know how some claim to have success with the 550Ti OOB (per at least comments on FB), while this thread proves the case to be quite the opposite.

I've got a EVGA 550 TI. Is it beyond hope at this point? Should I just sell it and use HD 3000?

To be clear, is this something that occurs when the whole computer sleeps or just the monitor? I'm considering building a server so it will essentially never sleep. However, the monitor would certainly go dark when not in use..

Both. It also occurs even if you turn off the power to the monitor and then turn in back on. What I have done is to disable Display sleeping, and simply use a black screensaver so it's not bright in my apartment all night. I know the monitor's still drawing power though, but it can't be helped until a solution to our problem is found.

I just got my first ever Hackintosh working perfectly with Lion not too long ago, with an EVGA 550Ti, and I would hate to have to dump the card for something else -- I guess I could revert to HD4000 if I must -- or skip the ML upgrade altogether... I'm curious to know how some claim to have success with the 550Ti OOB (per at least comments on FB), while this thread proves the case to be quite the opposite.

I originally thought the 550ti worked OOB in ML (full QE/CI, Chess, webgl in Chrome works fine), but after the display went to sleep, I used the OS for a few days, etc... I started noticing some problems. The card is fine for most daily use purposes, but you can't help but feel that something is seriously wrong...

These people probably had the same first impression I did: 550ti was working OOB

I originally thought the 550ti worked OOB in ML (full QE/CI, Chess, webgl in Chrome works fine), but after the display went to sleep, I used the OS for a few days, etc... I started noticing some problems. The card is fine for most daily use purposes, but you can't help but feel that something is seriously wrong...

These people probably had the same first impression I did: 550ti was working OOB

I've got it running so that it works, and I got about 48fps on Cinebench earlier, but then it locked up the system exiting a fullscreen youtube video. I thought I had it all working as it played fullscreen video in iTunes, which also crashed it yesterday, but no luck. I didn't even try sleep, because that's flakey enough already, so any problems there I wouldn't be able to attribute to the GPU.

At least it's a consistent problem so hopefully there will be a fix soon.

At least it's a consistent problem so hopefully there will be a fix soon.

Yeah, I think we've gotten some attention from the smart guys or will soon..

^
10.8 have the last nvidia Driver so dont install fremi
someone on insanelymac has fixed Dual monitor for gtx580 after upgrade to ML just with Natit kext

I have the exactly same problem with my ASUS GTX 550 Ti.

with GraphicsEnabler I can boot, but after resolution change I get a blue screen. It is really horrible.

I also have the exact same card and along with it the same problems everyone else is getting:
- after display sleep graphics glitched (in particular the desktop background) or blue screen
- after computer sleep can't get past login screen, its usually all black except for where you type your password in and that part flashes
- changing resolution results in a blue screen
- plugging in another display doesn't do anything, whereas in Lion is would auto detect and extend the desktop

I unfortunately tried rotating the display in System Preferences and even though it resulted in a blue screen, my display is now stuck 90 degrees rotated. Any attempt to changed the rotation now just ends up in a blue screen and after a forced reboot it won't budge from the rotated view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back