Contribute
Register

No Image on Laptop screen on wake but output on HDMI works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @NONITS :
Just something i stumbled upon and I wanted to let you know about it.
Modded my BIOS, was fairly easy following this Guide for the Razer Blade Advanced 2019 - its the same for our blade.
I can now allocate DVMT directly in the BIOS, deactivate the MX150 via BIOS as well as CFG Unlock (for native NVRAM) or even Undervolting directly via BIOS. Its Awesome! :)

But careful - there as a chance that you brick your blade!

cheers

Update - following benefits by using a modded BIOS so far:

- Native NVRAM. No need for RC Scripts / nvram.plist to have certain settings saved after reboot. Emuvariable is still needed to solve shutdown/reboot kernel panic --> CFG Lock= Disabled in modded BIOS
I guess that is somehow related too the same bug users of the z390 are having.
- External Display: I still have to put the Blade to sleep at least once after a boot to have the external Display function. But by allocating DVMT-PreAlloc to 64MB and DVMT Alloc to Max directly via modded BIOS, now 4K Resolution at 60Hz works, Yeah! No need for fbmem / stolenmem patch in Device/properties.
- No need anymore for dart=0 bootflag --> VT-d = disabled in modded BIOS

So far I am loving it, don't regret taking the risk.

Unfortunately the Overclocking / Undervolting Settings don't seem to be available in the bios. Would have been great to squeeze a little more power / battery life out of that little monster.

cheers

Update - following benefits by using a modded BIOS so far:

- Native NVRAM. No need for RC Scripts / nvram.plist to have certain settings saved after reboot. Emuvariable is still needed to solve shutdown/reboot kernel panic --> CFG Lock= Disabled in modded BIOS
I guess that is somehow related too the same bug users of the z390 are having.
- External Display: I still have to put the Blade to sleep at least once after a boot to have the external Display function. But by allocating DVMT-PreAlloc to 64MB and DVMT Alloc to Max directly via modded BIOS, now 4K Resolution at 60Hz works, Yeah! No need for fbmem / stolenmem patch in Device/properties.
- No need anymore for dart=0 bootflag --> VT-d = disabled in modded BIOS

So far I am loving it, don't regret taking the risk.

Unfortunately the Overclocking / Undervolting Settings don't seem to be available in the bios. Would have been great to squeeze a little more power / battery life out of that little monster.

cheers

I actually had my BIOS unlocked before I installed macOS but restored settings for more stability in Windows. I was not able to unlock the undervolt options on the BIOS for some reason. The menu options are available when looking at the directories but even if you set the permissions to “user” they wont appear on the bios after reboot.

I use voltage shift to keep my CPU and CPU cache undervolted by -50mv. I also undervolt my iGPU using voltage shift by -20mv. This coupled with CPU friend gives me 7-8 hours of battery life with moderate use.

And you're telling me about the BIOS modding just NOW?? Just kidding :)

I gotta correct my post unfortunately: Native NVRAM doesnt seem to be possible with our boards. I dont think you have it as well tbh - did you test your nvram by writing a test varible into it, reboot and check if it is there?

And about the Undervolting: I tried to unlock that menu as well in BIOS, did not work. Apparantly it is because of the fact that the "Overclocking Performance Menu" is not located under "Advanced" and therefore invisible in the Menu, meaning - it is kind of unlocked, but we dont have access to the main entry point to all the settings.

There is a possibility however, but it involves hex editing - and I am not sure i wanna take that road...

BTW - you said something about instability? So you are not using the modded bios anymore? What instabilities are we talking about here? Because I do not experience any up til now.

cheers

Instability issues - I had to have my initial stealth RMA'ed because of vertical lines on my display. according to the razer rep I was exchanging emails with changing the DVMT and other graphics related settings on the graphics section of the bios that would have been unavailable by default can cause the display to fail.

Not sure if you will buy that (I don't) but I'd rather err on the side of caution so I steer away from tampering with the BIOS if I can get away with using clover.

I also noticed screen flickering but that was with the old RMA'ed blade. Still I'd rather be safe than be without a laptop for 4 weeks.

Thanks for the reply and the answers.
I dont buy that explanation of the razer rep as well. Can't see how a dvmt change results in graphical / hardware issues.
I'll keep using that bios. If it results in hardware issues - fine. At least we'd know if the rep was right ;)

Btw: Did you solve the "External Display only working after putting the blade to sleep at least once" Issue?
Its not REALLY an issue, but nevertheless its somehow bothering me. Tried different Framebuffers etc., but no luck. Its also worth mentioning that the machinde does not have to be put to actual sleep. It is sufficient to click on sleep and then quickly pressing another button. So the display just goes dark for a second and after that, the external display works.

Wonder what method / ACPI Code is triggered to make the external display work after that.

Thanks for the reply and the answers.
I dont buy that explanation of the razer rep as well. Can't see how a dvmt change results in graphical / hardware issues.
I'll keep using that bios. If it results in hardware issues - fine. At least we'd know if the rep was right ;)

Btw: Did you solve the "External Display only working after putting the blade to sleep at least once" Issue?
Its not REALLY an issue, but nevertheless its somehow bothering me. Tried different Framebuffers etc., but no luck. Its also worth mentioning that the machinde does not have to be put to actual sleep. It is sufficient to click on sleep and then quickly pressing another button. So the display just goes dark for a second and after that, the external display works.

Wonder what method / ACPI Code is triggered to make the external display work after that.

I dont think its sleep but rather turning the display off. I think the issue is with how the framebuffer has the display ports mapped.

I have a hinch - could it be that the „disable/enable PEG Patch on PTS/WAK“ in DSDT has some method incorporated that triggers the external display functionality? That, after all, is a patch that gets activated after sleep.

Am not at home right now, so cant test it unfortunately.

Hi guys sorry to be third wheel but I have been lurking in this thread for a while. I too have a Razer Blade Stealth 13 (without Nvidia graphics). NONTIS I have downloaded your EFI - many thanks for sharing you guys. All is working well but I noticed that the trackpad and sound don't work by default, and also I am assuming you have changed out the wifi/bluetooth? Sorry for the newbie question - any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Hi guys sorry to be third wheel but I have been lurking in this thread for a while. I too have a Razer Blade Stealth 13 (without Nvidia graphics). NONTIS I have downloaded your EFI - many thanks for sharing you guys. All is working well but I noticed that the trackpad and sound don't work by default, and also I am assuming you have changed out the wifi/bluetooth? Sorry for the newbie question - any assistance would be greatly appreciated

No apologies needed, This forum was meant to get people help :)

Trackpad - You need to patch your dsdt and then install voodooI2C kexts. You can use my EFI but you will need to patch your DSDT as this varies per machine and configuration.

Sound - Mine did not work by installing AppleALC and Lilu + WEG alone. I needed to copy my AppleHDA kext from when I was on Mojave then paste it where I have all my third party kexts.

WIFI and Bluetooth - replaced - bought it from ebay for about 40$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back