Contribute
Register

Mac Startup Chime V2 - Using Arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may disprove the old adage "there are no stupid questions" but can I get the 5V and gnd from an unused USB header on my mobo?

tried that myself, it works once, but doesnt work again. have to plug it into another usb port

[..] only 'issue' is that it chimes when waking from sleep.

Hi there,
this is my first posting at tonymacx86. Only reading the forum for quite some time, I now have an idea for this topic:

Using Arduino already, wouldn't it be smart, to let the Arduino detect the BIOS-beep at the spaeaker on bootup and use this as a trigger to start the startup chime? This would give a more Mac-like boot (and wake with no chime).
I fear the detection must have some "cleverness" to detect the beep by a certain frequency (range) an length of the beep.

I'm totally helpless in programming for Arduino, but maybe it's something a skilled member of this fantastic forum could do easily?

What do you think?

hi,
the good thing about this board is that no programming is needed. its an addon for the arduino, but can be used standalone like we are using it.
maybe it could be used with the bios beep, hooked up to the play button.
ill have to try that, thanks

wouldn't it be smart, to let the Arduino detect the BIOS-beep at the spaeaker on bootup and use this as a trigger to start the startup chime? This would give a more Mac-like boot (and wake with no chime).
I fear the detection must have some "cleverness" to detect the beep by a certain frequency (range) an length of the beep.

What do you think?
I had considered this previously, based on a small circuit using a 555 timer configured as a "Missing Pulse Detector". This circuit normally triggers when it doesn't receive a pulse within a certain amount of time of receiving a previous pulse.

If you invert this logic, than actually it detects when a signal contains pulses at a certain frequency, which would solve the problem converting a signal from a speak (a tone at a certain frequency) into a single pulse.

http://pcbheaven.com/wikipages/555_Circuits/

I hadn't had time to follow this up. The issue is designing the circuit that correctly interfaces to the speaker, which has an output that is probably not a standard logic level outputs.

I had considered this previously, based on a small circuit using a 555 timer configured as a "Missing Pulse Detector". This circuit normally triggers when it doesn't receive a pulse within a certain amount of time of receiving a previous pulse.

If you invert this logic, than actually it detects when a signal contains pulses at a certain frequency, which would solve the problem converting a signal from a speak (a tone at a certain frequency) into a single pulse.

Sounds like a good idea! I'm able to solder some parts, but sadly I can't design electronic circuits ...
I'm not sure, if it's so easy to "invert" the logic", but maybe this could be done, if pushing the start button sends the "start" pulse to get the 555 in "listening" mode and if there is the bios beep within the specified time, the chime gets triggered ...

Is there somebody more experienced?

I've made a new apple chime PCB

I use an Arduino ISD 1820. From Dealextreame:
http://dx.com/p/isd1820-sound-voice-recording-and-playback-module-board-3-5v-152951

The chime plays when power is on.
I short the play button.

I use the original speaker of the G5.

Preview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD7ZGh20Czo&feature=share&list=UUSZSrjcos7mh_XAM3G12wwA

hi, sorry for my poor english

can you help with step by step tutorial how you upload the chime sound to this Arduino hardware?

thanks roman from slovakia

Hi cumik2,

I've made a diagram:
attachment.php

Attachments

• diagram apple sound.png
    diagram apple sound.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,912
Last edited by a moderator:
I have thought of a simple circuit to trigger the ISD 1820 from the internal speaker. Basically using a small transformer, and rectifier, to isolate and convert the speaker signal to a DC signal, also using a small capacitor and resistor to filter the output. See attachment. Note: This is untested, just an idea that this time.

Attachments

• simpletrigger.png
    simpletrigger.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 399
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back