Contribute
Register

Mac Startup Chime V2 - Using Arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi kiwisincebirth,

this looks like a very simple solution. But to be honest, I don't understand how the detection of the BIOS-beep should be build (what parts are necessary?).

Could you explain this? I'm very interested in this solution!

Heiko

Hi kiwisincebirth,

this looks like a very simple solution. But to be honest, I don't understand how the detection of the BIOS-beep should be build (what parts are necessary?).

Could you explain this? I'm very interested in this solution!

Heiko
Hi

The circuit I showed in my post is an idea, and is based on an assumption that the input signal (from speaker) is 12V AC, if this assumption is correct then the circuit should work, if not then the circuit will have to be re-designed.

To build it is just a matter of buying the components and assembling (soldering) them, but not something I am going to progress in the short term.

Kiwi

nice, just what i wanted :) i dont know if i got a faulty board before but i just seem to get a hot chip and no sound lol.

i have ordered another anyways and will use this tutorial.

Hi nickjf20,
I just read your post about the mac startup chime and I was wondering if you could clarify a little more what you said in your insanely mac post about being able to wire in the sleep LED?
I am about to perform this mod and I would like for the hack not to chime when waking from sleep.
If I understand correctly, I connect Play L to BIOS +ve and a USB header GND?
How do I go about connecting to sleep LED to prevent chime on wake? Which connections would I have to make exactly?
Thanks!

This may disprove the old adage "there are no stupid questions" but can I get the 5V and gnd from an unused USB header on my mobo?

Yes, but with my motherboard an Asus H97M-E the board keeps the USB 5v supply on all of the time.

Like others I shorted my Play-e button so that as soon as the board sees 5v on start-up it chimes but as the 5v is still live when the machine is shut down it does not chime on subsequent re-starts unless I remove the power cord. I don't know if this is the same on all motherboards or if it has something to do with USB device charging (which I may be able to turn off in the BIOS) but it's something to think about when looking for a 5v power source for the Arduino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back