Contribute
Register

iTunes 11.1.3 Video not playing (SD/HD/DRM Content) - solved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So all of the research I have done, it seems that the hasewell cpu is the cause of this. However, It appears the apple is now using hasewell chips in there hardware so how can it be the cpu.

Well we're up to iTunes 12 now and still no difference.

To boil this problem down...

Clearly iTunes for Mac checks something iTunes for Windows doesn't.

In Windows our GPU isn't checked as long as it is certified for DRM use and they all are these days. I'm surprised OSX does because historically the Mac Pro line has allowed any compatible graphics card.

I do begin to wonder if this is a deliberate block imposed by the developers to specifically lock out OSX on a non-genuine hardware base. Perhaps we are seen as too small a group to worry about the loss of our income. I do believe the coders at HQ are able to do this.

For me playing genuinely bought-by-me DRM video worked one day and then not the next once I' d upgraded something. Not sure what that was. (The 32/64-bit thing never worked for me.)

It is pretty unfair to target one set of customers over another, especially preventing access to something they bought legitimately.

If it had simply been a kext or a script or a plist that needed tweaking I'm sure someone would have found it by now.

The problem is getting worse. Netflix no longer works with Safari on Yosemite because Apple built DRM into HTML 5 video support and Netflix uses that instead of Silverlight on Safari. I might actually end up ditching my Hackintosh because of this. There are far too many things that aren't working any more unlike a few years ago when I pretty much got a perfectly working Mac.

i have a core 2 quad build that plays DRM protected movies fine in iTunes and I'm using a GTX 8400GS also i do know Sandy Bridge hackintoshes will play fine but not Ivy or Haswel doesn't

Just bought an iMac Retina 5K! :)
That was my conclusion. My Hack is now the "second one"...
Following this thread in the future.

This also sent me to hackintosh heaven. I went to the dark side however. Have a windows PC now, can't say I am impressed with Windows 8.1. After OSX on a hack, it is like a kick in the teeth. But what can you do? I am not downgrading my computer to run videos, I use this as an HTPC. If only you could connect a keyboard through an appleTV.

On the upside, I now have GAMES!!!!! xbox360 controller too. How fun.

Still pining the intelligent design of OSX though. Hope one day it comes around again, it was fun while it lasted!

The problem is getting worse. Netflix no longer works with Safari on Yosemite because Apple built DRM into HTML 5 video support and Netflix uses that instead of Silverlight on Safari.

Yes this is getting worse. For now using Firefox with Silverlight still seems to work with Netflix. Wonder how long it will take for this option to disappear too. Making a HTPC Hack seems a lot less attractive.

So is this the end of the hackintosh hobby? No fixes for this 'black screen' problem on Haswell and presumably in future Intel CPUs must mean more and more will move to Windows PCs or buy 'real Macs'
Yes it was fun while it lasted, but I think no working video on iTunes must be a deal breaker for a large part of the community :(

Yes this is getting worse. For now using Firefox with Silverlight still seems to work with Netflix. Wonder how long it will take for this option to disappear too. Making a HTPC Hack seems a lot less attractive.

Netflix in Safari works. It asked me to install Silverlight and all is good ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back