Contribute
Register

iTunes 11.1.3 Video not playing (SD/HD/DRM Content) - solved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is this the end of the hackintosh hobby? No fixes for this 'black screen' problem on Haswell and presumably in future Intel CPUs must mean more and more will move to Windows PCs or buy 'real Macs'
Yes it was fun while it lasted, but I think no working video on iTunes must be a deal breaker for a large part of the community :(

There's just as much that's broken as what there is that works. Between the iMessage unique hardware ID's being used to login and the App store DRM based on the same system I see this as pretty much the end of the whole proposition of building a hackintosh. The bottom line is that if you want a working OS X environment you have to get a genuine Mac. Broken iTunes, App Store, and iMessage means you could just as well run a Linux distro and do more with it than you can with a Hack.

On Linux you get vastly superior OpenGL performance and all the apps are built to work in an environment with multiple hardware configurations, not to mention you don't have to hassle with an incomplete ACPI system. There no longer exists a nice little package of software that just makes a Hack work. The whole thing just pretty much sucks now.

Wow so what your basically saying is that the only purpose to having a hackintosh is iMessage and playing iTunes DRM. If thats all you want from your hack then ya your better off with a real Mac, the rest of us will still enjoy our hacks for years to come :D

As of right now, for anyone who cares, my Z68 (ASUS P8Z68-V)/2600K combo still plays HD itunes rentals/purchases just fine with either a GTX 680 or AMD 7750 as the video card. I was never able to get the integrated hd3000 to work with itunes videos, and a newer 290x wouldnt work with it either. Thats with the latest itunes and Yosemite.

Yeah, just wanted to let people know that if they were still interested in getting itunes to work, this combo still works with the latest itunes/yosemite. Maybe pick these things up cheap from ebay or whatever.

Something to check - HDCP Compliant Hardware. Built SandyBridge i7 2600K on GA H67A and iTunes 12 (64bit) worked playing purchased TV and Movies on my wife's desktop computer.

I built Haswell system on a GA Z97 board using a different monitor and iTunes 12 (64Bit) would not play purchased TV or movies.

I Purchased a 2012 Quad core i7 Mac Mini and it would not play HD video content. I discovered that my monitor was NOT HDCP compliant and is at least part of the problem.

I purchased a new HDCP compliant monitor and the Mini now plays HD video content. I connect two computers via a Gefen DVI Switch supporting KVM and audio with HDCP Pass Through. Apparently your computer, monitor and connecting cable have to support HDCP compliance or pass through to enable handshaking between the CPU and the Monitor.

The SandyBridge system above had a monitor that had a HDCP compliant DVI interface.

Food for thought. I will be re-approaching my Haswell GA Z97 Mackintosh and report back if the NEW HDCP monitor did the trick. I had everything working except iMessages and iTunes Protected video content.

Update - Using new HDCP compliant monitor on GA Z97 Haswell i7-4790k & Mac OS X Yosemite with onboard Intel Graphics. Have a GA Geforce 980 w/4GB video ram and couldn't get install to boot with Geforce card installed. I suspect booting with Intel Graphics and installation of the Nvidia web driver, then and only then installing Geforce 980 might work but Time is Money!

I am suspending Hackintosh work until a fix appears for the myriad of problems. I have several Genuine Macs and really enjoy the stability of OS X on these systems. I do not like being forced to buy apple hardware, nor being unable to install OS X (full working install) on essentially the same hardware Apple sells. I do not like how Apple is completely removing the user's ability to add system ram, a non apple SSD, swap CPUs or customize Mac Systems. Sadly if you want a Mac, buy one, stuff it at purchase with all the possible upgrades as that is the only opportunity you will have, to upgrade your mac. :(

Last edited:
I purchased a new HDCP compliant monitor and the Mini now plays HD video content. I connect two computers via a Gefen DVI Switch supporting KVM and audio with HDCP Pass Through. Apparently your computer, monitor and connecting cable have to support HDCP compliance or pass through to enable handshaking between the CPU and the Monitor.

I have an HDCP compliant monitor (connected to my Nvidia 660 GTX card through the HDMI connection and iTunes still doesn't play videos. Just black screen. Quicktime is giving me an error trying to play anything downloaded from iTunes.

(My system is Asrock mb
i5 Haswell 4670K
8GB RAM
Nvidia 660 GTX
HP Pavilion 25xi monitor)

This is the second time actually, that iTunes messes me up. Before that, I rented a movie through my desktop PC (Windows 7) and I couldn't watch it on my Apple TV.

I couldn't find it on my Apple TV, there was no record of me renting anything. So I ended up watching it on my desktop, which wasn't my intention.
I learned my lesson though. If iTunes wants to play so safe, that it begins limiting its own customers, then to hell with them.
I'm renting and buying through Amazon and other places. Actually I'm at the point, that my Apple TV is going to be removed and I'm getting a Roku 3 anyway, since Apple TV lacks in so many areas, including apps to watch various streaming networks. ]
After fiddling around with Roku 3 at my brother's house, I really thought, that that's the real Apple TV, disguised as another device, while mine is some Microsoft hack or RadioShack brand cheap box.

Yeah, back to the topic. I can't watch iTunes movies and tv shows on my Hackintosh anymore and yes, this is a deal breaker, just like my Apple TV's limited functionality and seriously lacking service and obsolete feel to it. So, while my hack will remain hampered, my Apple TV also gonna hit either eBay or go as a gift to someone, and my digital purchases will be from other providers.

Anyone but apple iTunes.

Back to Windows 8.1 for me.

funny thing is ever since I've changed to Clover i can seem to play iTunes movies TV Shows etc also Apple Music Videos and this is on a ivy bridge machine Z77-DS3H Core i7 3770 GTX760 but baring in mind i do have my integrated graphics HD4000 disabled

Attachments

• 11698825_944699545576626_7549782744250504770_n.jpg
    11698825_944699545576626_7549782744250504770_n.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 133
You sure your actually playing paid iTunes DRM content not some media from your local drive?

BTW for anyone who doesn't know, this issues is only with Clover/Chameleon/Chimera, Ozmosis works fine with all DRM content.

yeah movies I've dowloaded from iTunes store and them music videos in Apple Music plays fine never use to until now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back