i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Not all audio interfaces seem to be able to hotplug on hacks with method 1. My MOTU interfaces for example.

But I do have both ports working so I believe there is something fishy with your card.

Very interesting. Have you had any luck with the other methods in getting hotplug to work with your interface?

Definitely good to know about both ports working on your card. I hate to send it back, but if there is something going on with it, I'm going to need to. I could see only one port working on OSX, but I find it hard to believe that only one port would work under Windows, so I'm strongly suspecting something is going on with the card too. I should have just opted for the new one from the get-go, but...it was hard to pass up the price of the used card. Live and learn I guess. Hopefully, they'll take it back and can get another one out.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Nope. It feels like it has something to do with driver/app or the hardware itself. I've seen other interfaces that have the same problem.
Hmm. Unfortunate.

Part of me still feels that the DSDT isn't perfect for all devices, and that's where the issue lies. When I experimented with Methods 1, 2, and 3 that I found here, it was showing my device as a "Media Card" and giving me a 'eject media card' icon in the upper right hand tray area.

It wasn't until I started messing around with the DSDT that I was able to get that to go away, and was finally able to get OSX to properly list my Focusrite Clarett under the System Report. It feels one step closer, but obviously not perfect yet. Sadly, I have no idea what I'm really doing with the DSDT edits and am more or less randomly throwing darts at a target hoping for something to hit.

I suspect that this device (as well as others) don't properly conform 100% to the DSDT's that are listed here, while some obviously do. I can't help but feel that the evidence of my device not being properly recognized more or less supports that theory, and going along with that - I suspect the reason hotplug isn't working for my device (and likely others) is simply that those methods for getting hotplug support to work, aren't properly tied to the device and what it needs. I wish I had a better understanding of it so that I could work on trying to get everything to play nicely.

In either case - I'm still waiting for my new Alpine Ridge card to get here so that I have a card where both Port 1 and 2 work - that may shed some additional light on getting this to work properly, or... my card right now may have something else broken in it too. Who knows.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Z370-A Prime II
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Running into a weird issue, this is my first TB3 build.

So didn't' mess around with hot swap or anything, but I am using the Asus extension card on my Asus Prime Z370-A.

I did get the thunderbolt to recognize in OSX, but when I plug in my Vega 56, whenever there is a thunderbolt device attached, OSX is booting to a black screen.

When I remove the thunderbolt device, OSX loads up perfectly fine. Not sure if there is some Thunderbolt setting messing up the boot. I did turn off internal graphics.
I solved that by disabling USB in the Thunderbolt settings in bios. Let me know if it works for you.

Motherboard
Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Allright! Thanks again! My TB3 working perfectly! Hotswap is working! Thanks for your help! I can share my files here:

This is with the latest bios for my MB.

I practically have the same setup as you except that I'm running an RX 580. Hopefully this will solve my problem and I'll be able to hot plug devices and not have to boot into windows anymore with my Apollo on first before switching to OSX.

Motherboard
Asus Z370-A Prime II
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I practically have the same setup as you except that I'm running an RX 580. Hopefully this will solve my problem and I'll be able to hot plug devices and not have to boot into windows anymore with my Apollo on first before switching to OSX.

If you don't reach that goal, you don't have to boot into windows when TB stops working. I just unplug for :30, turn on Apollo, boot, restart, back in action.

Motherboard
Thinkpad X240
CPU
i5-4300U
Graphics
HD4400
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Had anyone tried TB on PCH with GC-TITAN RIDGE? It seems like this card does better with hot-plug.
KGP has already used it in X299 build and it works in Mojave, just curious about Z3XX platform now.

Motherboard
ASUS WS C422 FW PRO/SE
CPU
W-2175
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Can confirm that GC-TitanRidge is working flawlessly OOB on my rig with attached SSDT.

The only hiccup for me is that I need to eject connected THB and USB-C-disks before sleep otherwise my rig will wake up to a black screen.

As I understand this is a "normal" behaviour for everybody with a connected GC-Titan ridge card

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml
    6.3 KB · Views: 107
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. Quadra
  7. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is really nice! Can someone help me to change my DSDT? Because i have the thunderbolt patches did there, but i want to change it to this method 2 because i have switched TB Card to GB Alpine. Thanks! :)

Z370 AORUS GAMING 7

-- UPDATE!

I got it working now! i Can boot without my Apollo 8 on. When i turn it on it shows up! But i have connected my Apollo Twin And UAD Satelite to the Apollo 8, they are not regonized. Only if i boot with all the devices on!.. I have updated my DSDT. Maybe there is someting wrong there?

Hi Jaco,

Similar setup over here, but I have not yet applied any patch. I'm not totally clear on which one is safe for my build. Advice on which one for the GA-Z370 with the GC-Alpine Ridge?

IMy hack has to be powered off and the Apollo 8 Quad powered up in order to work. Firewire hotplug for the Digidesign 003R is spotty as well. One of the issues I have which may provide some clues to this topic is that my Blackmagic Design Multidock 2 (single-space rackmounted 4x SSDs) "hangs onto" whatever computer last used it. It has no power switch and the only way of freeing up this device is to power off everything. It's akin to the process of resetting the SMC/PRAM but only with power sources and actually unplugging the TB cables and dongles: I think that there's some sort of persistent memory of the device in the electronics of these Apple cables. Definitely some secret sauce going on in those connector ends. If I unplug all Thunderbolt devices from the hack and back into my Mini 2012 QC 6,2 -everything works as if by magic. I'm using all Apple TB cables and dongles. FWIW, everything is hot-plug friendly in Windows 10.

Please and thank you for guidance...

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Jaco,

Similar setup over here, but I have not yet applied any patch. I'm not totally clear on which one is safe for my build. Advice on which one for the GA-Z370 with the GC-Alpine Ridge?

IMy hack has to be powered off and the Apollo 8 Quad powered up in order to work. Firewire hotplug for the Digidesign 003R is spotty as well. One of the issues I have which may provide some clues to this topic is that my Blackmagic Design Multidock 2 (single-space rackmounted 4x SSDs) "hangs onto" whatever computer last used it. It has no power switch and the only way of freeing up this device is to power off everything. It's akin to the process of resetting the SMC/PRAM but only with power sources and actually unplugging the TB cables and dongles: I think that there's some sort of persistent memory of the device in the electronics of these Apple cables. Definitely some secret sauce going on in those connector ends. If I unplug all Thunderbolt devices from the hack and back into my Mini 2012 QC 6,2 -everything works as if by magic. I'm using all Apple TB cables and dongles. FWIW, everything is hot-plug friendly in Windows 10.

Please and thank you for guidance...

I've got the exact same card and motherboard, and also am still trying to get thunderbolt hotplug working. I've not had any success so far. Just like you, everything works perfect under Windows 10. I can manage to get everything but hotplug working on OSX. Would love to button this up.