Contribute
Register
Running into a weird issue, this is my first TB3 build.

So didn't' mess around with hot swap or anything, but I am using the Asus extension card on my Asus Prime Z370-A.

I did get the thunderbolt to recognize in OSX, but when I plug in my Vega 56, whenever there is a thunderbolt device attached, OSX is booting to a black screen.

When I remove the thunderbolt device, OSX loads up perfectly fine. Not sure if there is some Thunderbolt setting messing up the boot. I did turn off internal graphics.
I solved that by disabling USB in the Thunderbolt settings in bios. Let me know if it works for you.

Allright! Thanks again! My TB3 working perfectly! Hotswap is working! Thanks for your help! I can share my files here:

This is with the latest bios for my MB.

I practically have the same setup as you except that I'm running an RX 580. Hopefully this will solve my problem and I'll be able to hot plug devices and not have to boot into windows anymore with my Apollo on first before switching to OSX.

I practically have the same setup as you except that I'm running an RX 580. Hopefully this will solve my problem and I'll be able to hot plug devices and not have to boot into windows anymore with my Apollo on first before switching to OSX.

If you don't reach that goal, you don't have to boot into windows when TB stops working. I just unplug for :30, turn on Apollo, boot, restart, back in action.

Had anyone tried TB on PCH with GC-TITAN RIDGE? It seems like this card does better with hot-plug.
KGP has already used it in X299 build and it works in Mojave, just curious about Z3XX platform now.

Can confirm that GC-TitanRidge is working flawlessly OOB on my rig with attached SSDT.

The only hiccup for me is that I need to eject connected THB and USB-C-disks before sleep otherwise my rig will wake up to a black screen.

As I understand this is a "normal" behaviour for everybody with a connected GC-Titan ridge card

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml
    6.3 KB · Views: 152
This is really nice! Can someone help me to change my DSDT? Because i have the thunderbolt patches did there, but i want to change it to this method 2 because i have switched TB Card to GB Alpine. Thanks! :)

Z370 AORUS GAMING 7

-- UPDATE!

I got it working now! i Can boot without my Apollo 8 on. When i turn it on it shows up! But i have connected my Apollo Twin And UAD Satelite to the Apollo 8, they are not regonized. Only if i boot with all the devices on!.. I have updated my DSDT. Maybe there is someting wrong there?

Hi Jaco,

Similar setup over here, but I have not yet applied any patch. I'm not totally clear on which one is safe for my build. Advice on which one for the GA-Z370 with the GC-Alpine Ridge?

IMy hack has to be powered off and the Apollo 8 Quad powered up in order to work. Firewire hotplug for the Digidesign 003R is spotty as well. One of the issues I have which may provide some clues to this topic is that my Blackmagic Design Multidock 2 (single-space rackmounted 4x SSDs) "hangs onto" whatever computer last used it. It has no power switch and the only way of freeing up this device is to power off everything. It's akin to the process of resetting the SMC/PRAM but only with power sources and actually unplugging the TB cables and dongles: I think that there's some sort of persistent memory of the device in the electronics of these Apple cables. Definitely some secret sauce going on in those connector ends. If I unplug all Thunderbolt devices from the hack and back into my Mini 2012 QC 6,2 -everything works as if by magic. I'm using all Apple TB cables and dongles. FWIW, everything is hot-plug friendly in Windows 10.

Please and thank you for guidance...

Hi Jaco,

Similar setup over here, but I have not yet applied any patch. I'm not totally clear on which one is safe for my build. Advice on which one for the GA-Z370 with the GC-Alpine Ridge?

IMy hack has to be powered off and the Apollo 8 Quad powered up in order to work. Firewire hotplug for the Digidesign 003R is spotty as well. One of the issues I have which may provide some clues to this topic is that my Blackmagic Design Multidock 2 (single-space rackmounted 4x SSDs) "hangs onto" whatever computer last used it. It has no power switch and the only way of freeing up this device is to power off everything. It's akin to the process of resetting the SMC/PRAM but only with power sources and actually unplugging the TB cables and dongles: I think that there's some sort of persistent memory of the device in the electronics of these Apple cables. Definitely some secret sauce going on in those connector ends. If I unplug all Thunderbolt devices from the hack and back into my Mini 2012 QC 6,2 -everything works as if by magic. I'm using all Apple TB cables and dongles. FWIW, everything is hot-plug friendly in Windows 10.

Please and thank you for guidance...

I've got the exact same card and motherboard, and also am still trying to get thunderbolt hotplug working. I've not had any success so far. Just like you, everything works perfect under Windows 10. I can manage to get everything but hotplug working on OSX. Would love to button this up.

Yeah, before the Hack, I was just running this machine as a Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 server with Windows 10 Pro.
I'm not a fan of shutting down my computer every time I want to use the Apollo. I'm not sure of the "commercial-grade" ruggedness of UAD's DAW products, so I'm hesitant to leave the Apollo on 24/7. -I did that with the Apogee Duet 2 USB without a problem. I'd trust the 003R 24/7, but it simply isn't as good as the UAD and it too isn't playing nice with the Hack.
I'll run a few more tests, but it's not looking promising for my needs. I would say that if one was building a Hack for a DAW, I'd stick with native USB stuff and skip Thunderbolt and Firewire. Again, I'll check those patches and test. Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, before the Hack, I was just running this machine as a Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 server with Windows 10 Pro.
I'm not a fan of shutting down my computer every time I want to use the Apollo. I'm not sure of the "commercial-grade" ruggedness of UAD's DAW products, so I'm hesitant to leave the Apollo on 24/7. -I did that with the Apogee Duet 2 USB without a problem. I'd trust the 003R 24/7, but it simply isn't as good as the UAD and it too isn't playing nice with the Hack.
I'll run a few more tests, but it's not looking promising for my needs. I would say that if one was building a Hack for a DAW, I'd stick with native USB stuff and skip Thunderbolt and Firewire. Again, I'll check those patches and test. Thanks for the reply!
I had some major problems this go around with USB. I kept getting random audio overload issues which were causing dropouts and the entire audio subsystem would reload for some reason. It only happened under Ableton for some reason. Could never figure out what was causing the issue. It wasn't the projects as they worked fine on a real mac and the same audio interface. I tried 3 different usb interfaces and they all exhibited the same issue. I even swapped out to a completely different motherboard thinking there was something going on. No dice. I can only conclude that there's some issue with this z370 chipset, or the USB subsystem of the Hackintosh on this chipset, or perhaps something to do with the Hackintosh config that was causing my issue. I found a few references to others having the same issue, but none of their fixes worked for me.

I ended up finally giving in and deciding to go Thunderbolt or Firewire. I had used Thunderbolt UAD in the past, and loved the lower latency, and after reading the issues with Firewire often killing sleep, I decided to go Thunderbolt. Now, I leave the computer, and the new Focusrite Clarett 8Pre on 24/7. Really sucks doing that too, as I also hate turning the computer on and off. I use it so randomly throughout the day it just doesn't make sense to turn it off. I don't care about the lack of sleep. The water cooler keeps the system plenty cold, but I'd really like to be able to turn the audio interface on and off. Doesn't look like that's going to happen though.

It's too late for me to revert without sinking a ton of additional money into trying a Firewire interface now, and it'd certainly be a step backward in latency/input, but I'm still left wondering if a Firewire interface would have at least allowed me to turn it on and off. Seems there's mixed results with that too.

I've had no luck with "hotplug" on/off for the 003R with the latest drivers, so I've removed the Firewire card to free up SATA port 3. When running Pro Tools 2018.7, my Intel Power Gadget reports my CPU jumping from 1 GHz to 4-4.7GHz with temps between 36°C and 46°C. PT is using all 12, but mostly threads 6 and 7 for a total CPU load of 12%-14% with a buffer of 128 samples 24/44.1KHz System Delay is 1.75ms -the same performance/demand as the 2012 Mac Mini QC 2.6GHz 6,2.

Yeah, the UAD (not counting the plugins) cost quite a bit more than my Hack build. The studio pulls very little juice -shockingly little compared to running 3 or 4 Mac Mini's. I really expected this PC to suck down the power -even though I've disabled a lot of the throttling settings in the BIOS that causes problems for Pro Tools. (I know, still...)

I may just run this as a headless VSL/VEP slave after all. But it is very nice for a photo/video machine. Sorry if it's a little OT. Do we need to start a new DAW thread?

Back