Contribute
Register
@LeleTuratti

I am going to buy an
Asus Prime X299-A soon, and atm i have a satellite but is planning to buy an apollo duo as well.

Wonder if you have had any luck on getting hot plug to work on both units yet?

If you use the titan ridge, shouldn’t it work by connecting the 2 units to 2 separate thunderboltports? Without chain.

Thanks in advance
[/QUOTE]

I think you need to go from from one TB port on the computer and then chain the Apollo units to each other. It's probably a sync thing. Probably luck since IDK of anybody getting two TB ports going at once using an add-in card on a hack. UAD just released some new models. If you wait a little, people will be unloading tons of perfectly fine interfaces at your local giant music dealership.

I haven't seen anything in Titan Ridge that bowls me over. It still has to talk to the MOBO and the OS. If you're getting an X299 soon, consider the fancy one with 2 onboard Thunderbolt ports. The add-in cards are a PITA, overall. YMMV.

I think you need to go from from one TB port on the computer and then chain the Apollo units to each other. It's probably a sync thing. Probably luck since IDK of anybody getting two TB ports going at once using an add-in card on a hack. UAD just released some new models. If you wait a little, people will be unloading tons of perfectly fine interfaces at your local giant music dealership.

I haven't seen anything in Titan Ridge that bowls me over. It still has to talk to the MOBO and the OS. If you're getting an X299 soon, consider the fancy one with 2 onboard Thunderbolt ports. The add-in cards are a PITA, overall. YMMV.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but the onboard thunderbolt ports doesn’t play well with the hot plug, does it?

I haven't seen anything in Titan Ridge that bowls me over. It still has to talk to the MOBO and the OS. If you're getting an X299 soon, consider the fancy one with 2 onboard Thunderbolt ports. The add-in cards are a PITA, overall. YMMV.

Yeah but the onboard thunderbolt ports doesn’t play well with the hot plug, does it?[/QUOTE]
Damn I didn't realize they had a board with onboard TB3. Can anyone confirm that's any easier to get up and running than the card?

As for the card there was just so much to tinker with. Im sure I could do a faster install on a fresh build now but it definitely sucked up a couple days.

Im doubtful it would mirror it Jiffyslot but to be fair I haven't tried it. On the build as a whole the only tinkering that got me was iMessage and TB. Hacks aren't scary at all.

I only got mine working recently. I built the machine in late June and it's been a VSL/VEP6 slave running Windows. It's a real <blank> scratcher, because if it works in the BIOS setup and in Windows 10 (both ports + hotplug) it seems that it should work. For me, I'd never buy another Thunderbolt interface because of this hassle, but I would buy a PCIe-based Lynx or SSL if I could make use of the power switch on the converters. Something's definitely throttling bandwidth with my bank of SSDs via the Thunderbolt 2 BMD Multidock. Even the internal SSD on my Mini 6,2 is testing faster. Not a lot, but enough to know that even daisy-chained –Computer ➡︎ Multidock 2 ➡︎ Apollo 8– the Thunderbolt 2 bus (TB 2 because of the dongles) should not be saturated: The SSD speed should be identical because it's all SATA6. Odd.

What adapter did you use to connect your UAD devices to Gigabyte Alpine Ridge?

I read this article: https://www.studiocare.com/blog/uad-thunderbolt-interfaces-now-compatible-with-windows-10-systems/
where it seems most TH UAD devices are not compatible with Apple TH3 to TH2 adapter when it has used on Windows (PCs) machines. Probably you can go and give a try with the suggested adapters in the article.

The Apple TB3 to TB2 dongles and Apple TB2 cables work fine with the UAD Apollo 8 in Windows 10, Hack, and Mac. It could be that many people were having problems with the Dell notebooks that have Thunderbolt 3. It could be the reason why UAD is a cable-blamer. That said, Thunderbolt 3 has been a mess made worse by a variety of connectors, dongles, and cables that say one thing but have a spec for something else.

did you also update the Alpine Ridge's fw to the last version?

In Windows, where the firmware can be seen easily, it was last updated ~ April 2017, IIRCC. I haven't checked lately because as soon as the new card was released, development for the GC AIC was likely dropped like a steaming hot dongle. :roll2: I'll check back via Windows when I get some free time.

Same problem! I tried this setting two days ago and now the TB card has disappeared from the bios.
I have already contacted Gigabyte support but I have not had an answer yet.
I thought it was my problem, or a manufacturing defect, but I see that it happens to other people too.
I do not recommend everyone to try these settings!

I killed my first GC Alpine Ridge TB3 card with that BIOS update. There should be a notice: Pull your Thunderbolt AIC before updating the BIOS. Until I saw this tonight, I forgot about it. There have been so may configurations, I may have done it again had I not read this. When I started my build, I just assumed everything that worked in Windows 10 on my rig would work on a Hack. -That's the main reason I skipped the fancy Asus Designaire X299 with the onboard dual TB3. I've been confusing "license/royalty-free" Thunderbolt with the term Open Source. Frustrating stuff.

Ok I just discovered something...
Booting OSX with all thunderbolt powered on. APR>TBdock>Motu interface. And also an USB-stick attached to TBdock.

Power down Motu interface makes even the TBdock and attached USBstick disappear!?
Power the Motu interface on again = Nothing happens.
Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 12.36.48.png
Physically remove and reconnect the TB cable to dock = Even more stuff disappear and don't come back.
Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 12.47.15.png
Attach Motu Interface directly to AlpineR port = Nothing.

Any thoughts?

Ok I just discovered something...
Booting OSX with all thunderbolt powered on. APR>TBdock>Motu interface. And also an USB-stick attached to TBdock.

Power down Motu interface makes even the TBdock and attached USBstick disappear!?
Power the Motu interface on again = Nothing happens.
View attachment 362148
Physically remove and reconnect the TB cable to dock = Even more stuff disappear and don't come back.
View attachment 362149
Attach Motu Interface directly to AlpineR port = Nothing.

Any thoughts?
It's normal, simply because the hotplug does not work.
Connect the THB_C cable, then try to update the bios to the latest version and add the SSDT of method 2 (adapted to your ACPI table, of course)
Then let us know if anything changes

Back