Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated build looks great, if I hadn't just completed a z370/8700K build, I'd get pretty much this. Just one remark, you can probably get Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 for only a little bit more money. 3200 Mhz RAM is the price/performance sweetspot.

I was thinking of using this one Finnish company to build it for me. My friends have also used their services and are happy with the results. I order the parts through them and they put everything together, update the BIOS + test that everything works (RAM etc). It costs about ~70€ and has a two year warranty for the whole build on top of the warranties for the individual parts. The bad part is that they dont do water cooling. Do you think that the water cooling would be good choice for the build?

I think air cooling should be good (but again, I have not yet build a computer myself). I will go for a water cooling variant because it is more quiet, and if I ever want to do a tiny bit of overclocking I guess a beefy cooling can't hurt.

It's nice they build the computer for you. But the building part is absolutely the most easy part ;-)

Concerning extra fans: you can always easily add them later to have more airflow inside your case, but I doubt it's necessary.

The Native Komplete is an USB interface so as long as you have a working USB port you should be good to go. I use the Apogee Quartet and I see no reason why these devices shouldn't work on a Hackintosh.

I think air cooling should be good (but again, I have not yet build a computer myself). I will go for a water cooling variant because it is more quiet, and if I ever want to do a tiny bit of overclocking I guess a beefy cooling can't hurt.

It's nice they build the computer for you. But the building part is absolutely the most easy part ;-)

Concerning extra fans: you can always easily add them later to have more airflow inside your case, but I doubt it's necessary.

The Native Komplete is an USB interface so as long as you have a working USB port you should be good to go. I use the Apogee Quartet and I see no reason why these devices shouldn't work on a Hackintosh.

Yeah Im pretty sure that the cooling will be handled just fine by the fans that come with the case. The airflow should be quite good in the case because its Fractal Design and the build is quite modular. The extra fans cost pennies though, so if they dont create too much extra noise, I just might throw a couple of them in there just in case. I need to sleep on that.

I also stumbled on a youtube video, where someone built and configured a working iHack Pro with exactly the same specs:

Check it out.

Have seen the videos (or parts of it... was a bit long)

Here are some Z390 build threads:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...i9-9900k-z390-aorus-pro-dual-vega-64s.264948/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...gabyte-z390-i-aorus-pro-wifi-i9-9900k.267897/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...390-thunderbolt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...pro-macos-mojave-sapphire-rx580-nitro.267090/

Tons of usefull info there. You have probably already read them.

If you can make a nice build report and be the guinea pig ;-) I will wait a few weeks before building the same. The whole post installation part with clover is a bit unclear to me.

Gotcha. I will probably get the build in february as I will be on the road now for a while. I will definitely make a build report later.

For an audio workstation you're way overspending on the graphics card. On my Pro-Tools rig, which I also run Logic, I have a Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 (8GB) running at 2560x1440 which is more than enough horsepower for 1/3 the price. I guess maybe if you do video production there might be a need, but certainly not for audio production. FYI, for audio I'm using an RME RayDAT interface with SSL XLogic Alpha-Link converters.

Last edited:
Hey! Thank you all for the tips and help. Really appreciated! :)

I updated the build with your recommendations in mind and I think im still inside the budget. The system is a beast while costing more or less the same as a basic iMac variant (Finnish prices).

Here is the updated build and I have to say im pretty happy about it. I threw more money at the PSU, upgrading it to 750W Platinum standard. After doing more research, I decided to put more money into a top of the line SSD.

My optimized build:
  1. Intel Coffee Lake i9-9900K, LGA1151, 3.6 GHz, 16MB
  2. Sapphire RX Vega 64 NITRO+, 8GB
  3. Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE, ATX
  4. Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) Vengeance LPX Red, DDR4 2666MHz, CL16, 1.2V
  5. Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 2280, PCIe 3.0 x4, NVMe, 3400/2500 MB/s

6. Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C - Blackout, E-ATX
  7. be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
  8. be quiet! 750W Dark Power Pro 11, modular ATX, 80 Plus Platinum
  9. TP-Link Archer T9E Wireless Dual Band
  10. ADDITIONAL: Komplete Audio 6 external audio interface

Is the 750W Dark Power Pro 11 enough for the Vega 64 NITRO+ and i9-9900K? Do I need some additional fans for the Define R6 case to help with the heat generation etc?

Thank you so much for all the help :)
You have two major problems and they have nothing to do with your computer. Komplete Audio 6 is garbage - don't waste your money. In fact, if you have it, sell it. Get yourself a UAD Apollo Twin MK2 or Metric Halo ULN-2, trust me. And your second issue - Pro Tools? Come on! SMDH. Unless you actually edit audio, Pro Tools is trash and has been trash for a very long time. Non-creative professionals and mixers use it because they have to not because they want to. If you're actually going to compose music, just use Logic Pro X. That's all you'll ever need and for $200 you can't beat the value.

If you really wanted to take it to the next level, de-lid your CPU, and replace your coolers with this guy:

Noctua NH-D15S Processor Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608072

Replace all of your stock Fractal fans with Noctua fans. I've done exactly what I say above, overclocked to 5Ghz and quieter and cooler than my iPhone. :lol:

Spend some time reading @pastrychef builds. He knows what he's doing. My idle temps are 26-28c and I'm moving a lot more air through my Fractal R5.

You have two major problems and they have nothing to do with your computer. Komplete Audio 6 is garbage - don't waste your money. In fact, if you have it, sell it. Get yourself a UAD Apollo Twin MK2 or Metric Halo ULN-2, trust me. And your second issue - Pro Tools? Come on! SMDH. Unless you actually edit audio, Pro Tools is trash and has been trash for a very long time. Non-creative professionals and mixers use it because they have to not because they want to. If you're actually going to compose music, just use Logic Pro X. That's all you'll ever need and for $200 you can't beat the value.

If you really wanted to take it to the next level, de-lid your CPU, and replace your coolers with this guy:

Noctua NH-D15S Processor Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608072

Replace all of your stock Fractal fans with Noctua fans. I've done exactly what I say above, overclocked to 5Ghz and quieter and cooler than my iPhone. :lol:

Spend some time reading @pastrychef builds. He knows what he's doing. My idle temps are 26-28c and I'm moving a lot more air through my Fractal R5.

Yeah I have already the KA6. I have enjoyed it and might one day upgrade, but for now im content with it.

I think I should definitely change the fans too. The Noctua fans seem to be of higher quality :) Thanks!

Last edited:
+1 for UAD2... used since their earliest cards... best plugins on the market.

As far as Pro Tools... its definitely an acquired taste. Most powerful / flexible / configurable / stable / interoperable / supported DAW out there. Unfortunately its also the least friendly / most resource-intensive / non-intuitive / expensive / not-the-latest-bells-and-whistles DAW out there. If you’re a performer/engineer without a specific reason to use PT, there are definitely better choices - as said by others. On the Mac, logic is a great choice.

-Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back