Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Shiloh,

I 'think' I've done this right. Please let me know if this is what you were expecting (or not).

http://www.dropbox.com/s/u9vr6z5akvu3whv/ACPI.zip

It's sort of been a comedy of errors so far building this thing. I'm a pure Mac head, so even simple stuff like getting all of the MB power connections working, etc has been a bit of a learning process. The documentation for the R4BE is not completely geared towards full blown PC noobs like me. ;-)

Clover wasn't getting too far past the MacOS boot screen (would drop to black after 5-10secs); but now I swapped out the config.plist file for the new one you posted, and that has gotten me to the MacOS install page, whoop! Going to try installing it and will report back.

Cheers, -Chad

Hey,

I would like to team up with you to figure out the Install for the Asus Rampage IV BE, you said you have been wanting to figure it out, I have it and am willing to be your guinea pig. Just let me know what to do. I will attach my current build.

Xeon E5-2680 V2

Corsair H100i

Rampage IV Black Edition
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB (4x8gb) DDR3-2133 Memory
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" SSD

Connected to intel x79 serial ata 6.0gb/s connector Partitioned 128gb for mac install, 128gb exfat for mutal storage between windows and mac.
Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" SSD

Connected to intel x79 serial ata 6.0gb/s connector, Installed Windows 8.1Hitachi Deskstar NAS 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (x2)
Connected to intel x79 serial ata 3.0 gb/s connector
MSI GeForce GTX 780 6gb TwinFrozr Video Card (x2)
Decklink Mini Studio Monitor

the farthest I ever got using your guide was to the Clover GUI, when I ran install nothing ever happened.
Like Chad When I used the new config list It got to the install screen and ran the install, but after the reset wouldnt boot into the OS.
Thanks!

Hey Discoman,

I think I've gotten a bit farther along...I was able to get to the installer, formatted my two SSD's as a Raid-0 in Disk Utility, then installed Mavericks as expected. It sat there for a very long time at the end with 'Seconds' remaining, then it finally rebooted back to Clover. From there I booted again to the Install Mavericks USB drive and the MacOS installer ran another time automatically (no prompts at all, just went right to installing). After that finished and rebooted again to Clover, I was able to select the SSD Raid as a bootable disk and it took me to the usual MacOS 'Choose Your Language' and account setup screens.

I think I still have some Nvidia drivers to install and also need to get the Clover stuff set up on the SSD Raid I believe...but so far so good.

Good luck to both of us!

Thanks chadfx & Discomandavis. Those were the ACPI files I needed.

I'm going to go through the guide tonight and do a fresh install of 10.9.4 and see if I can iron out all the new wrinkles you guys are running into. Sorry I've haven't had much time lately and sorry the installs haven't gone smoothly for you.

Now that I have a virgin DSDT I can start a basic revision of the R4BE DSDT patch list. I still need a ioreg file from ioregistry explorer or iojones. It would also be very helpful to figure out what all the PCI slot addresses are. To do this i need some one who has a small 1x pci card like a firewire card to boot and save a ioreg after switching the card to each pci slot. Of course we need to get you booted first.

Hey,
Xeon E5-2680 V2
The CPU may require customizing the SSDT command.
MSI GeForce GTX 780 6gb TwinFrozr Video Card (x2)
You need to switch off (MoBo PCI switches) or remove one of your GPUs until you use ACPI (DSDT/SSDT) or EFI string to inject the cards as parent and child. Also you need to boot with nv_disable=1 until you have the web drivers installed.

Not sure if Parent/Child injection is needed or even works on 780. Won't work on 980s. They work without it.

Okay, I will try this when I get off work and let you know how it goes.

Hey Shiloh, no worries at all...it's been great to have the guide to get us this far.

The build basically works for me at the moment. I can start up via the SSD Raid/Clover without the USB stick now. Just want to back it up first before I continue tweaking (had gotten it to a bad state and had to redo the 10.9.4 install earlier...ugh). Lots of stuff not working yet (no audio/wifi), other items not hooked up yet. But it sees all of the RAM, both 780 cards, etc.

I didn't follow your guide all the way through. With my friend we just referred to the guide here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...-gtx-780-ti-dual-classified-hydro-copper.html

Essentially a Clover install, then Multibeast to install the packages that were closest to this list. We didn't tweak the config.plist.

I've updated the R4BE bios to v0701 (the current one). I've updated the Nvidia Mac web driver to the latest version for Mavericks 334.01.02f02. I can't get the driver to remain enabled over the MacOS driver, though. It says it needs a restart for the driver switch to happen, but after restarting it reverts back to the MacOS driver. Not quite sure how to get past that issue.

All very much a WIP, still need to also try migration assistant and see if all of my stuff works over on this beast. But overall it's a number of steps forward from my starting point of zero... ;-)

Cheers, -C

Hey Salderos, any luck with the last ssdts I posted?

YUP! Everything appears perfect in my system profile. I have CS6 and Final Cut up and running, and will get CC going soon, but I'm noticing I can't 'hack' the 770 to utilize CUDA? Any idea why? Is it only with CC that I can add the 770 to the list?

your thoughts? Shall I update to the web drivers that can be found in the OP?
UPDATE: I don't see CUDA in the my system preferences, and I'm uncertain if I need to update my drivers?

This is the information i receive about my GPU
--- GPU Computation Info ---
Found 1 devices supporting GPU computation.
OpenCL Device 0 -
Name: GeForce GTX 770
Capability: 1.2
Driver: 1.2
Total Video Memory: 4096MB
Not chosen because it did not match the named list of cards

UPDATE: Will I create problems if I install this? http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-6.0.51-driver.html

UPDATE: I installed the web driver and the CUDA driver from the link above. I followed your guide in installing the NVIDIA web drivers and it isn't letting me switch to the web driver. Every time I select it and reboot, it goes back to the MAC OS driver. When I look in my system profile this is what appears.
Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 3.39.32 PM.png

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a major overhaul for the guide. Sorry to keep y'all waiting just wanted to test everything first. Completed a fresh install of 10.9.4 last night and will hopefully update the guide tonight or in the next couple days. For now, to boot the installer, select MacPro5,1 from the options/smbios section of the clover GUI and add nv_disable=1 to the boot args section. Install kexts and the nvidia web driver (I recomend reading all the way through guide and download everything you'll need and put it in a folder on your flash drive for offline install). Looks like everyone will need the multibeast AppleHDA kext in 10.9.4 but I may find a workaround for the interim ivybridge AppleHDA that I've been using soon.

I am trying to find a tutorial on how to inject the cards as parent and child but am coming up dry, maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back