Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this is even the right place to be asking this, but I'm wanna follow this exact build but instead I was thinking about using crucial m550 SSD's for the boot drive. Would that work? I'm a complete hackintosh novice
Should work. Make sure it has TRIM support or you'll want to remove the auto TRIM patch from the config.plist.

Hi Shilohh,

Thanks for that - changed those Sata ports and fixed issue with drawer. Also - USBs seem to be working perfectly now.

However - pardon my lack of knowledege - I didn't quite understand what you meant about the CPU power step. I had a look at your requirements in the link and I think I get the idea but I was just wondering do I need to complete all the steps 1 - 5 including the SMBios. When I did the initial install I did SMBios as part of the recommended install - do I need to do it again or is it just a case of uploading the kext? Apologies if this is a silly question.

Also just noticed that the sound is not working on the system but had applied all recommended Kexts - any ideas? And one last question - I notice that the machine is very slow when I try to download anything... speed-test is grand but downloading a kext file or anything else is very laboured. Wondering was there something I needed to do?

Thank you so much for all your help, By the way do you have a paypal account where someone could donate a cup of coffee or two for all the inspiration and help?

@Patjamz,
SpeedStep allows the CPU to reach different power states depending on CPU load. It will clock down to 1.2GHz at idle and up to 3.2GHz or your maximum turbo speed at full load, if turbo is enabled.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/127574-guide-asus-x79-os-x-controlled-speedstep.html
since you've already done this guide, just do step 4.

For sound, there are 3 working stereo outputs to choose from on the back panel. Make sure that you choose the output in system preferences > audio > outputs that matches the one that you are plugged into. You may have to cycle through them to figure out what port you are plugged into. It's also possible that you applied the wrong DSDT patch list as I've made 2 available. I updated the the DSDT guide and patch lists last night so you may want to re-do your DSDT anyway.

For your Internet speed, check to see if your BIOS has NIC options. My fist build doesn't but Eric's does (They must have updated some hardware on the board since I bought my first one). Make sure you set it correctly then match the BIOS settings in the network section of system preferences. If you don't have a NIC section, just set your network connection properly in system prefs.

No I don't have a PayPal account but thanks for the thought. If you're ever in Austin Texas, PM me and you can buy me that cup of coffee.

Ok. Shilohh you convinced me.

Bought the parts and they come tomorrow. Going to do this fantastic build of yours!

Hope it goes well! :)

@TurbineSeaplane,
Well, my intent isn't to sell anyone anything. I can only express my own opinions based on my needs and wants. You may have the ocassional issue that you wouldn't find on a Mac but if your primary use is video post production, you won't be disappointed.

Did I somehow get things reversed?

Followed directions to put Mavericks installed on USB, then did the clover install you specified to that USB drive.

Your instructions seemed to say the opposite?

Sorry for the dumb questions already.

Clarification: I was following the Install Clover instructions here on the site

This is the guide I was following:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-how-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.html

Did I somehow get things reversed?
Followed directions to put Mavericks installed on USB, then did the clover install you specified to that USB drive.
Your instructions seemed to say the opposite?
I don't think it really matters. I'm pretty sure the only thing the Clover installer modifies is the EFI partition.

If the installer boots, you're fine.

Thank you for such an amazing guide! I was wondering if i7 4820k should also work following what you did, because they're both Ivy Bridge E socket 2011?

so this guy can afford to pay at least 4k for a computer and spend at least another 2k on periferals,
but can't afford a desk or any time to spend on wire management? This photo cracks me up. I have 3 thunderbolt devices and 3 USB devices on my Mac Pro and with 20mins of wire management and some zip ties and you can't see a single wire. And really how much internal expansion are you really going to do on your hack anyway?? A few ssd drives and perhaps a new graphics card?i don't see why people are diggin so much on the Mac Pro really I don't. It's different , yes and it really sucks that almost all the expansion is outside the box but who cares? It's still a power house that can be upgraded. I use mine only for audio so it suits my needs just fine. To each their own. I'd way rather have this than a huge ugly loud tower that is more high maintenance than a French supermodel any day of the week.and let's face it, 90% of the cases on the market are gawd awful looking and they all have wires coming out the back just like the Mac Pro .

so this guy can afford to pay at least 4k for a computer and spend at least another 2k on periferals,
but can't afford a desk or any time to spend on wire management? This photo cracks me up. I have 3 thunderbolt devices and 3 USB devices on my Mac Pro and with 20mins of wire management and some zip ties and you can't see a single wire. And really how much internal expansion are you really going to do on your hack anyway?? A few ssd drives and perhaps a new graphics card?i don't see why people are diggin so much on the Mac Pro really I don't. It's different , yes and it really sucks that almost all the expansion is outside the box but who cares? It's still a power house that can be upgraded. I use mine only for audio so it suits my needs just fine. To each their own. I'd way rather have this than a huge ugly loud tower that is more high maintenance than a French supermodel any day of the week.and let's face it, 90% of the cases on the market are gawd awful looking and they all have wires coming out the back just like the Mac Pro .

Oh and let's see what happens to a pc when you try and hook up all that stuff to it.if anything it's a testament to how badass the thing really is!!'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back