Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I will say about the Mac Pro is that I'm really impressed with the size/power aspect. It's hard to believe they made it all fit and run ultra quiet.I personally don't think the Mac Pro I bought is worth what I paid however in the years down the road when 12 core Xeons are cheap I'll be able to throw a new one in, put a new graphics card or two in a pci tb2 enclosure and basically have a brand new machine !!

Isn't one of the limitations of TB2 the fact that it still isn't fast enough to run a gpu in an enclosure?

(Thus the new tb3 recently announced for 2015-ish)

Sweet, thanks! Any thoughts about the RAM? I'm thinking of using 16gb instead of 32 because of the cost.
A case is a case. It will work as long as it will fit everything you want in it. Mine is actually a mid tower so that one should have more room.

If you're going to run after effects, 32-64GB of RAM will come in handy. It is NOT recommended to mix 2 kits of ram, even if they are the same. Read the forum post I linked to:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25510-Rampage-IV-Extreme-RAM-Guide

One thing I will say about the Mac Pro is that I'm really impressed with the size/power aspect. It's hard to believe they made it all fit and run ultra quiet.I personally don't think the Mac Pro I bought is worth what I paid however in the years down the road when 12 core Xeons are cheap I'll be able to throw a new one in, put a new graphics card or two in a pci tb2 enclosure and basically have a brand new machine !!
The design is elegant until you have to start adding external drives and expansion chassis. Then your desk will become a rat's nest and you'll appreciate the simplicity of a large case with lots of drive bays and a motherboard with PCI slots. The design is cool but not functional to me. Thunderbolt 2 has a equivalent throughput to 4 lanes of PCI 2.0. That would be a bottleneck on today's more powerful graphics cards not to even mention tomorrow's. The new Mac Pro is a really cool piece of engineering but IMHO it's a kludgey solution for a pro video work station.

Great points Shilohh.

With how small they made the Mac Pro, one wonders why they didn't split the difference a touch.

Could have been 25% larger and still looked cool but also had some expansion options, etc.

Great points Shilohh.

With how small they made the Mac Pro, one wonders why they didn't split the difference a touch.

Could have been 25% larger and still looked cool but also had some expansion options, etc.
but it does:
2013-Mac-Pro-power-580x580.jpg
LOL

Great build and not at least a great description
The USB 2/3 problem with sleep is solved by installing Jettison.
You can buy it from App Store (only 1.99 usd)

I don't know if this is even the right place to be asking this, but I'm wanna follow this exact build but instead I was thinking about using crucial m550 SSD's for the boot drive. Would that work? I'm a complete hackintosh novice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back