Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Intel SSD 750 PCI Express Cards works with the macvideocards driver. I have the latest BIOS installed that suggests Shilooh.
What i did:
- Put nvme driver into the clover directory (in my case it is on a pen drive, without this step you wont be able to boot!)
- Switch off PC and unplug power,
- put PCI Express Card into slot 3 (i think) / I have a double slot graphic card on slot 1, then 1 empty double space slot and then the pci e from intel in slot 3, and then in slot 4 a wifi card.
- Switch on PC
- Restart the PC with control alt DEL from the clover menu
- Enter BIOS
- Move with the keypad arrows to the right where the pci intel should show up if it is not there in the bios there is something wrong (it should have its own PAGE like the intel ethernet)
- enable only EFI settings and set security setting to OS OTHER -> save
- Boot from pendrive into clover
- Select the intel ssd or boot into your installer to install the os x unto the intel ssd
Be blessed in Jesus name guys!
I'm not using USB to boot just using my UEFI partition. The trick was to get the driver from the USB stick and put it in the UEFI partition. Because only BiosBlockIO from clover installer will install the efi driver for some reason its not a option for EFI only during the clover installer. Here is a copy of paste of a old post from another thread.

Yes I used a cheap PCIE 3.0 adapter. Getting advertised speeds on my 256gb 950 pro, which is a little slower than 512gb. But I'm confident you will get full speeds with RIVE and proper PCIE adapter even if you get 512GB drive. Here is my speeds for 256GB drive.

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 9.17.53 PM.png

If you get 512gb you should get 1500 write 2300 read.

-------------- This is what I did -------------

Got my Samsung 950 pro. Install went well just updated clover. Then threw in NvmExpressDxe-64.efi into the 'drivers64UEFI' folder (even though the installer doesn't allow that, had to install it on a USB stick with BiosblockIO then get the driver NvmExpressDxe-64.efi and throw it in 'drivers64UEFI' folder). After that I threw the NVMeGeneric.kext into Kext folder for clover. Booted to a OS X installer USB stick used restore option with Disk utility to copy me oldssd install and booted up 950 pro just fine from the EFI boot loader on OldSSD. Then installed clover with EFI on the 950 pro, transferred over all my files from my clover folder under EFI partition from old SSD to 950 pro EFI partition. Now booting with just 950 pro with EFI.

I'm very surprised EFI boot works with my old board with no bios update. I still have my same 4.6ghz overclock running a much older 4205 bios version on Rampage IV Extreme x79 with 3930K (Sandybridge-E). This was not support to be possible. I see threads were people are having issues with it showing up as EFI drive. Other people says it shows up as PATA. But not mine it showed as EFI drive. Again this was with no bios mods, or bios updates, just same old bios been using for years. Clover EFI doing all the work
smile.png

My speeds on old SSD were around 480 read and 410 write. Now doing 2050 Read and 880 write. I believe I'm getting these speeds only because the Rampage Extreme board is capable of PCIE 3.0. Not all boards will have the PCIE 3.0 but some of the higher end ones will for Sandy and Ivy.

What I find most impressive here is no bios update is needed if you have clover,
NvmExpressDxe-64.efi in 'drivers64UEFI' folder with NVMeGeneric.kext in your Clover/Kext/10.x.x folder.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

This might not be the most clear post but I can answer questions if need any. I think the major Bios setting that you might have different is CSM needs to be disabled.

I also just bought the cheap Red PCB adapter with two M.2 ports and SATA on back. That adapter is $24 on amazon or $8 on eBay slow shipping from china took 7 days.

@UNOE - This is great news. I thought about picking-up one of these when they first released but didn't want to be the guinea pig. Definitely reconsidering after reading your post.

@UNOE - Before I pull the trigger on one I'm wondering about setting the drive as the boot drive. I get what the kext does, but you're saying that putting NvmExpressDxe-64.efi in the EFI of your 950 enables bios to see it so you can set it as boot? I run multiple drives so would need it to be visible, either as the boot drive or by pressing F8.

Edit: I think I found the answer to my question by reading Audiocream's details again.

Last edited:
@UNOE - Before I pull the trigger on one I'm wondering about setting the drive as the boot drive. I get what the kext does, but you're saying that putting NvmExpressDxe-64.efi in the EFI of your 950 enables bios to see it so you can set it as boot? I run multiple drives so would need it to be visible, either as the boot drive or by pressing F8.

Edit: I think I found the answer to my question by reading Audiocream's details again.

If your able to boot OS X currently with UEFI you can boot 950 with UEFI. It shows up in bios yes.

Found this clip on YouTube illustrating the performance difference between the various SSD drives, i.e. pcie vs m2 vs SSD. The choice is obvious.

[video=youtube_share;70hvGe3WylA]http://youtu.be/70hvGe3WylA[/video]

Found this clip on YouTube illustrating the performance difference between the various SSD drives, i.e. pcie vs m2 vs SSD. The choice is obvious.

Just to be clear though the Samsung 950 pro is M.2 but NVMe and works at PCIe 3.0 speeds. This video may make that confusing. The 950 pro is very close to Intel drive in the video, when using PCIe 3.0 adapter. The M.2 drive in the video would not work at PCIe 3.0 speeds in the same adapter.

@shilohh - I can't respond to your PM because I have less than 75 post it says I can't send PM's even replies haha.

@shilohh - Just a few things that are beyond my scope.

1- Following your method(DSDT w/patches and your SSDTs) none of my Intel connected drives show up. I run OSX off the ASMEDIA Controller. System report shows no Intel controller. That SSDT shows all my drives correctly. I'll attach an IOreg.

2 - No matter what method of USB I use, I can't seem to get rid of GenericUSBXHCI::CreateRootHubDevice Bus 14 already taken. I've tried everything I can think of including removing all USB devices but it's always there. USB3 devices seem to run at 3.0 speeds, but they don't always connect at first. Sometimes I need to insert and remove them several times for them to mount.

Attachments

• NoIntel.iojones.zip
    562.8 KB · Views: 52
@shilohh - Just a few things that are beyond my scope.

1- Following your method(DSDT w/patches and your SSDTs) none of my Intel connected drives show up. I run OSX off the ASMEDIA Controller. System report shows no Intel controller. Andrew's SSDT shows all my drives correctly. I'll attach an IOreg.

2 - No matter what method of USB I use, I can't seem to get rid of GenericUSBXHCI::CreateRootHubDevice Bus 14 already taken. I've tried everything I can think of including removing all USB devices but it's always there. USB3 devices seem to run at 3.0 speeds, but they don't always connect at first. Sometimes I need to insert and remove them several times for them to mount.
What BIOS are you on? Can you post your "patched" folder please.

NOTE: If you delete the DSDT, your intel ports should come back. The patch list is not compatible with older BIOS's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back