Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea ive thought about it but OSx isnt my primary OS so i dont think for me its worth it. thank you for the link tho.
I'd try switching the location of the card to see if that has any effect. If it's an airflow issue, you could speed up your case fans. For me, if I bought 3 of the same card and one of them ran hot regardless of it's placement, I'd send it right back for RMA. If you mod the vbios to fix it, you wont have to run a custom curve in windows either.

I'd try switching the location of the card to see if that has any effect. If it's an airflow issue, you could speed up your case fans. For me, if I bought 3 of the same card and one of them ran hot regardless of it's placement, I'd send it right back for RMA. If you mod the vbios to fix it, you wont have to run a custom curve in windows either.
true it is an airflow issue there are three cards stacked right on top of each other and they are blower style coolers. I have 3 of the evga titans IMG_0002.JPG

I'd try zip tieing a case fan in front of those cards and see if it makes a big difference but first I'd swap the #1 & #3 cards to make sure it's airflow and not a wonky card.

I'd try zip tieing a case fan in front of those cards and see if it makes a big difference but first I'd swap the #1 & #3 cards to make sure it's airflow and not a wonky card.
i may give this bios mod a try. i really do like osx but i like to game from time to time also.

Honestly I don't think that any card should run at 80c idling. If moving it to the back of the line where it gets unimpeded airflow doesn't change idle temp drastically I'd send it back.

Honestly I don't think that any card should run at 80c idling. If moving it to the back of the line where it gets unimpeded airflow doesn't change idle temp drastically I'd send it back.
in windows it idles at 60c at idle but it has 2 other cards under it producing heat also so im sure they dont help. if i only had 2 cards im sure temps would be fine.

It could be as simple as iStat giving you false info but I really think you should swap it around to see. 82c is a good temp for slow cooking. LOL
i should also mention that i have 3 40 inch 4K displays hooked to the first card and 3 32 inch 1440 displays to the middle card so for temps there right where they should be as long as the fans ramp up. when the displays are off and the computer is idling in windows the top card sits at around 30-35c but as soon as the displays kick on they all jump up in temp. hard driving that many pixels.

i should also mention that i have 3 40 inch 4K displays hooked to the first card and 3 32 inch 1440 displays to the middle card so for temps there right where they should be as long as the fans ramp up. when the displays are off and the computer is idling in windows the top card sits at around 30-35c but as soon as the displays kick on they all jump up in temp. hard driving that many pixels.
Ah OK. That sounds more like it. A long time ago I was messing with the AppleGraphicsPowerManagent Kext (AGPM) to mess with the behavior of my 570 and 580. I would think that switching it to higher power modes would also kick the fans up but I'm not sure on that one. There was also a app called SMCfan or something like that that I used to use for my laptop but I don't think it had options for discrete GPUs. I think the VBIOS mod sounds like the most elegant solution if you're not scared of flashing. Placing a fan in front of that stack (to push cooler air between them) could also do the trick. Let us know what you figure out.

Ah OK. That sounds more like it. A long time ago I was messing with the AppleGraphicsPowerManagent Kext (AGPM) to mess with the behavior of my 570 and 580. I would think that switching it to higher power modes would also kick the fans up but I'm not sure on that one. There was also a app called SMCfan or something like that that I used to use for my laptop but I don't think it had options for discrete GPUs. I think the VBIOS mod sounds like the most elegant solution if you're not scared of flashing. Placing a fan in front of that stack (to push cooler air between them) could also do the trick. Let us know what you figure out.

Yea smcfan was one of the first things i tried and that didnt work. Doing more reading and its seems the bios flash is pretty easy to do just hard to flash the bios of such an expensive card lol. but i will report back after the flash and post my results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back