Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Shilohh, Hi Swamyg1, Hi Everybody,

Sorry I haven't been around for a while. I am thinking about doing a from-scratch re-install of my trusty 10.8.5 machine to bring it to Yosemite:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...page-iv-extreme-core-i7-3930k-successful.html

Shilohh: Would using your guide (this one) work as-is knowing that I have the 3930 and GTX 680?

Treat me like a hackintosh noob; it has been so long that I don't remember much. I know way back we were having problems with install differences between the 3930 and 4930 (different BIOS needed?). I don't really want to switch processors as I don't need the extra 5% or whatever it would be; and knowing that my CPU is historically rock solid is more important for me.

This machine is still going great after 3 years. I had to purchase a Mac Pro trashcan (the $4K 6-core model) for a work related project; and now that is done so I'm selling it. No urge at all to switch from my machine. It is still better all around even 3 years later.

Anyway; thanks for any help. And thanks for carrying the torch! I'm going to read this whole thread now to catch up

P.S. Does Messages work in Yosemite with this build?

Hi MK500 and welcome back! I recently returned as well and have been facing the memory canyon of death.

I run the RIVE + 3930k with Yosemite(10.10.2 plus all security patches) and used Shilohh's guide to assist me when I made the switch to Clover and a complete UEFI boot. The only issue I'm really facing at the moment is some strange problem with the Nvidia web drivers and my GTX 970 while using the MacPro6,1 SMBIOS (which gives me the best speedstepping). Booting with MacPro6,1, the web drivers, and my 970 results in a boot loop if i have both of my monitors connected. My alternative at the moment is to use MacPro5,1 which only gives me 2 states, or connect the 2nd monitor after I boot into OSX. If you're not using or plan on using a Maxwell card, you should be good to go with this guide.

Messages should work using this guide and clover as long as your UUID remains the same(i suspect it will change though). When I upgraded to Clover and started using MacPro6,1 OSX locked me out of Messages and my Cloud account. In order to fix it, I had to call Apple and ask them to reset my stuff. There's a pretty extensive guide on it somewhere around here.

MK500, welcome back...we missed you. :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words. I missed you all too!

Hi MK500 and welcome back! I recently returned as well and have been facing the memory canyon of death.

LOL, nice. That's exactly what it is :) Good to know I'm not alone in feeling the memory canyon of death.

I run the RIVE + 3930k with Yosemite(10.10.2 plus all security patches) and used Shilohh's guide to assist me when I made the switch to Clover and a complete UEFI boot. The only issue I'm really facing at the moment is some strange problem with the Nvidia web drivers and my GTX 970...If you're not using or plan on using a Maxwell card, you should be good to go with this guide.

Awesome; that's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks for this.

Messages should work using this guide and clover as long as your UUID remains the same(i suspect it will change though). When I upgraded to Clover and started using MacPro6,1 OSX locked me out of Messages and my Cloud account. In order to fix it, I had to call Apple and ask them to reset my stuff. There's a pretty extensive guide on it somewhere around here.

I'm thinking you mean this:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html

Looks like I'm in for lots of reading on this part. Maybe I'll just keep my iPhone handy and give up. I have a feeling I would have to call Apple...and I dread having all my actual apple devices have issues when I do that. I have a bunch.

OK, well, maybe this weekend I will take the plunge. I'm a little scared ;)

Hi Shilohh, Hi Swamyg1, Hi Everybody,

Sorry I haven't been around for a while. I am thinking about doing a from-scratch re-install of my trusty 10.8.5 machine to bring it to Yosemite:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...page-iv-extreme-core-i7-3930k-successful.html

Shilohh: Would using your guide (this one) work as-is knowing that I have the 3930 and GTX 680?

Treat me like a hackintosh noob; it has been so long that I don't remember much. I know way back we were having problems with install differences between the 3930 and 4930 (different BIOS needed?). I don't really want to switch processors as I don't need the extra 5% or whatever it would be; and knowing that my CPU is historically rock solid is more important for me.

This machine is still going great after 3 years. I had to purchase a Mac Pro trashcan (the $4K 6-core model) for a work related project; and now that is done so I'm selling it. No urge at all to switch from my machine. It is still better all around even 3 years later.

Anyway; thanks for any help. And thanks for carrying the torch! I'm going to read this whole thread now to catch up

P.S. Does Messages work in Yosemite with this build?
Hi MK. It's great to see you back. You don't need to change your cpu. I just changed mine because I was so impressed with Eric's 4930K. Youll want to use the patched 4206 I provided at my speed step guide but you should also be able to use any of the newer ones including 4901. If it were me, I'd use the patched 4206. You'll need to add an extra step to get OS X controlled speedstep working. You'll want to add stinga11's kext patch to the clover config.plist (see my speedstep guide) [clover can automatically patch a kext's binary at every boot. I have it set to auto enable SSD TRIM.]. Alternatively you can just have the BIOS switch you between your lowest and highest multiplier but that will give you just 2 power states. OS X control gives you 6 states. The biggest difference between your guide and this one is clover vs chamelon. With chamelon you have the "/Extra" folder wich contains all your config files and patched acpi files and any modules you want. Clover EFI wants everything on the boot drive's hidden EFI partition. Everything from the org.chameleon.plist (chameleon's config file) and the SMBIOS.plist (system and hardware ID) is set in clover's config.plist. Clover can also perform automated ACPI injection (DSDT/SSDT) at boot time but I find this to be a little flakey so I still do it manually (My DSDT guide). Basically everything in clover is set in the config.plist. If you have patched acpi files, they are placed in the appropriate foleder on the EFI partition.

I don't really use Messages but I have gone through the process of resetting the apple user account while helping friends to get theirs working. If messages is working for you now, record your UUID and add it to the config.plist (see zetam's clover wiki). When the UUID changes on a device, is what causes the account lock. If you keep the same UUID, you should be fine. If you do get your apple account locked, just call apple and give them the info from one of your actual apple devices to unlock it.

You might want to see if you can find a UEFI compatable vbios from the manufacturer for your 680. That way you can disable the BIOS's compatability support module and boot faster. Oh, actually, you might still need the CPM to boot with your PCIE SSD. Not sure about that.

Hi MK. It's great to see you back.

Thanks!

You don't need to change your cpu. I just changed mine because I was so impressed with Eric's 4930K. Youll want to use the patched 4206 I provided at my speed step guide but you should also be able to use any of the newer ones including 4901. If it were me, I'd use the patched 4206.

Perfect. I'm already on 4206 since forever...so using your patched one should be really painless for me.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be starting my install soon.

So far, so good with my install. Here is how my PCIe is configured:

PCIE_X16_1 = GTX 680
PCIE_X8_2A = Blocked by video card
PCIE_X8_2B = OWC Mercury Accelsior (Marvell RAID) 120GB SSD X2 (this is PCIe 2.0 x2 card)
PCIE_X16/8_3 =
PCIEX1_1 =
PCIE_X8_4 = Intel Dual GB Server Card (SmallTree)

Here are my closed/open issues;

1) (closed) Had to change this step:

6d) Navigate to “Boot\ CSM (Computability Support Module) >”. If you have a UEFI compliant video card (GTX 7xx), set “Launch CSM” to “Disabled”. If you have an older non-UEFI graphics card (GTX 4xx, 5xx or 6xx), set “Launch CSM” to “Enabled”, “Boot Device Control” to “UEFI Only”, “Boot from Network Devices” to “Ignore”, “Boot from Storage Devices” to “Ignore” and “Boot from PCIe Expansion Devices” to “Legacy OpROM First”.

Change: “Boot from Storage Devices” to “Legacy OpROM First”.

This was to support my OWC Accelsior PCIe boot drive.

I also disabled onboard Ethernet and Bluetooth in BIOS.

2) (closed) 8d chameleon wizard link is broken.

No problem...I just searched.

3) (closed) Step 9d no longer works because version of OS X that is currently downloaded in installer is 10.10.2. There is a specific NVidia driver for this; and the other won't install. However, the specific driver wants you to have installed the updater to 10.10.2 (security update) before it will install. It wants version 10.10.2 (14C1514) and the current installer does 10.10.2 (14C109).

I just installed the Nvidia driver after updating Yosemite to 14C109; but I am assuming this will cause problems for anyone who MUST have this driver to boot (for the 680 it is optional).

4) (OPEN) had problems making DSDT; see screenshot. Could not compile and save. Maybe this is because of my Ethernet weirdness (having built-in disabled and using a PCIe Small Tree pro board).

Since I don't have a custom DSDT built yet, I have no audio. I also need to set up speedstep as it's just sitting at 3.2Ghz. But so far I'm making good progress!

Shilohh: If you have any ideas on the DSDT; let me know; see enclosure (this is after attempted patch...problems started at line 3136 and go through 47 I believe).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 9.34.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 9.34.35 PM.png
    162.9 KB · Views: 111
  • System DSDT.dsl.zip
    25.2 KB · Views: 56
had problems making DSDT; see screenshot. Could not compile and save. Maybe this is because of my Ethernet weirdness (having built-in disabled and using a PCIe Small Tree pro board). [/B]

Since I don't have a custom DSDT built yet, I have no audio. I also need to set up speedstep as it's just sitting at 3.2Ghz. But so far I'm making good progress!

Shilohh: If you have any ideas on the DSDT; let me know; see enclosure (this is after attempted patch...problems started at line 3136 and go through 47 I believe).

Well; I'm still stumped on this one. I can't seem to get a DSDT built. I tried turning bluetooth and ethernet on to see if that would let it compile...but that just made my system KP. I could pull the ethernet card...but i would like to get a DSDT built with my proper hardware. Hmmm...wish I was better at this DSDT stuff :(

Reading DSDT thread again now...

Hey, MK500.The missing objects referenced in your pic are the cpu cores. There must be a problem with the patch list and 4206 or it could be that you already have the ssdt loaded (MacIASL pulls the dsdt from ioreg and it's possible that the patched SSDT is contaminating it).

Please try using clover to extract the dsdt. Pressing F4 at the Clover bootloader screen dumps native ACPI files to EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin. Mount your EFI partition and open and apply the patch list to the dsdt from the origin folder. If it compiles, save it to the patched folder.

If that doesn't let you compile, please post your virgin dsdt and I'll take a look when I get home.

I just remembered that they changed the cpu naming between the IvyB E and SandyB E BIOSs. You'll need to make your own SSDT as well. See the speedstep guide.

Hey, MK500.The missing objects referenced in your pic are the cpu cores. There must be a problem with the patch list and 4206 or it could be that you already have the ssdt loaded

Thanks Shilohh! I finally got time today to continue to debug. I did F4 at Clover boot menu. At first I assumed I was doing something wrong because there was no feedback. But after boot there were indeed a bunch of DSDT files with today's date where you specified. I was about to start IASL when the new NVidia driver dialog popped. 01f01 is out today. In a moment of stupidity I just installed it and rebooted. Now I have to debug the problem with the new NVidia driver (black screen) before I can proceed with DSDT editing. Sometimes I am my own worst enemy :|

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/160819-new-nvidia-web-driver-346-01-01f01.html

Anyway; I may do a fresh install. Still deciding. I will keep you posted once I'm back to editing the DSDT.

Boot with f8 and choose the usb installer. When you reach the clover GUI choose your boot drive. Once booted terminal: sudo nvram -c
then uninstall the web driver. You don't need it with the 680 and the newest versions will cause more trouble than they are worth. Reboot without caches.

No need to do a fresh install if you kernel panic after that. Just put the downloaded install yosemite app in your applications folder and run it over the top of your current install. Your clover files and user account will remain in tact and any web driver funkiness will be wiped out. You will need to reinstall the patched applehda kext for audio though.

the reason to boot from the USB is because it has the nv_disable=1 boot argument in the clover config.plist which disables the loading of any of the NVIDIA drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back