Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] RX 580 on Catalina and P55-USB3 board

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just ordered a Sapphire Pulse RX580 8gb, which seems to be highly rated on every guide out there.
After it's installed, I'll post my results.

Cheers.

I've just ordered a Sapphire Pulse RX580 8gb, which seems to be highly rated on every guide out there.
After it's installed, I'll post my results...

:thumbup:

Update: bought instead a Sapphire 5600XT and it works OOTB with the pikera bootarg, lilu + WEG.

Update: bought instead a Sapphire 5600XT and it works OOTB with the pikera bootarg, lilu + WEG.

Glad to read this. It is a card clearly superior to the RX 580 and more expensive. The Sapphire brand usually works well on macOS. For now I am going to keep my XFX RX 580 which works fine with Lilu and WEG. Enjoy your Hack!

Hello @miliuco

I have the same card (XFX RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB) and I'm not able to make it work with 10.15.7 using HDMI or DVI. (I don't have a DP cable / Monitor) Its stuck with black screen.

- Tried Lilu and Whatevergreen with no success.
- Disabled Whatevergreen and patched using Orinoco and 5 ports and still black screen.

Did you manage to make all 5 ports working?
I read this thread almost every day hahaha.

Thank you very much for your help.

My Build:
CPU: I7 3770
MB: ECS h77h2-em
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600mhz
Video: XFX RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB

Last edited:
Hello @miliuco

I have the same card (XFX RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB) and I'm not able to make it work with 10.15.7 using HDMI or DVI. (I don't have a DP cable / Monitor) Its stuck with black screen.

- Tried Lilu and Whatevergreen with no success.
- Disabled Whatevergreen and patched using Orinoco and 5 ports and still black screen.

Did you manage to make all 5 ports working?...
Good Morning. With Mojave and Catalina on my previous P55-USB3 motherboard, only the 2 DisplayPort ports far from the motherboard worked, the other DP, HDMI and DVI gave black screen.
With modifications proposed by @foxbox (inject a patch to Orinoco framebuffer from KextsToPatch + 3 changes in Graphics section: Orinoco in FB Name / Inject ATI / 5 in Video Ports) I got the 5 ports to work well, better with Lilu and WEG. But without @foxbox modifications, other outputs that were not those 2 DP that I have mentioned never worked.

However, with the new Z390 Aorus Elite board and Catalina or Big Sur surprisingly all 5 ports work well with Lilu and WEG (without WEG not all work) without having to do any other modifications.
If your monitor has a DP connector, the best solution is a DP to DP cable. If your monitor doesn't have DP, another solution is a DP to HDMI cable.

If you try the patch, all changes must go together:
- inject the patch to Orinoco framebuffer from KextsToPatch
- 3 changes in Graphics section of Clover: Orinoco in FB Name / Inject ATI / 5 in Video Ports
- try with and without Lilu and WEG.

Good Morning. With Mojave and Catalina on my previous P55-USB3 motherboard, only the 2 DisplayPort ports far from the motherboard worked, the other DP, HDMI and DVI gave black screen.
With modifications proposed by @foxbox (inject a patch to Orinoco framebuffer from KextsToPatch + 3 changes in Graphics section: Orinoco in FB Name / Inject ATI / 5 in Video Ports) I got the 5 ports to work well, better with Lilu and WEG. But without @foxbox modifications, other outputs that were not those 2 DP that I have mentioned never worked.

However, with the new Z390 Aorus Elite board and Catalina or Big Sur surprisingly all 5 ports work well with Lilu and WEG (without WEG not all work) without having to do any other modifications.
If your monitor has a DP connector, the best solution is a DP to DP cable. If your monitor doesn't have DP, another solution is a DP to HDMI cable.

If you try the patch, all changes must go together:
- inject the patch to Orinoco framebuffer from KextsToPatch
- 3 changes in Graphics section of Clover: Orinoco in FB Name / Inject ATI / 5 in Video Ports
- try with and without Lilu and WEG.
Hey @miliuco Thank you very much for your reply.

After a full week I made it work with DVI & HDMI. My Hack is running the latest update of Catalina 10.15.17 and only works with the latest Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts + @foxbox Orinoco Patch + @mattystonnie enhanced SSDT

For anyone having trouble or black screen with "XFX RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB" Cards. It runs with the following settings (For me at least).

With OS X 10.15.17 (19H2)
- Download and apply latest Lilu.kext / Whatevergreen.kext to your EFI Kexts folder
- Add Foxbox Orinoco patch to your Kernel Patches on Clover Configurator (With disabled "Inject ATi" because its not needed by Whatevergreen)
- Add "SSDT-RX580- Version 1.0.aml" from This Thread to your "EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched" folder

Note: my motherboard has Intel 4000 IGPU, even if I disable it I had to put the correct ig-platform-id on Graphics to make it work.

Cheers to everyone.

Last edited:
Hey @miliuco Thank you very much for your reply.

After a full week I made it work with DVI & HDMI. My Hack is running the latest update of Catalina 10.15.17 and only works with the latest Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts + @foxbox Orinoco Patch

For anyone having trouble or black screen with "XFX RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB" Cards. It runs with the following settings (For me at least).

With OS X 10.15.17
- Download and apply latest Lilu.kext / Whatevergreen.kext to your EFI Kexts folder
- Add Foxbox Orinoco patch to your Kernel Patches on Clover Configurator (With disabled "Inject ATi" because its not needed by Whatevergreen)

Cheers to everyone.
Annotated. I just add one detail: this is so using HDMI or DVI, right? I think that with DP there is probably no black screen without foxbox patch (with recent Lilu and WEG versions, of course) although without that patch all 5 ports of the card probably won't work either.
Thanks for the info.

Annotated. I just add one detail: this is so using HDMI or DVI, right? I think that with DP there is probably no black screen without foxbox patch (with recent Lilu and WEG versions, of course) although without that patch all 5 ports of the card probably won't work either.
Thanks for the info.
Yes exactly. This is using HDMI and DVI. Probably DP works as well but I'll get a cable to try soon.

UPDATE: this works with 10.15.17 (19H2). If you apply or install Supplemental Update 19H15 goes back to black screen. I believe I'll have to wait for newer versions of Lilu (Beyond 1.4.9) and Whatevergreen (Beyond 1.4.4)

:(

Yes exactly. This is using HDMI and DVI. Probably DP works as well but I'll get a cable to try soon.

UPDATE: this works with 10.15.17 (19H2). If you apply or install Supplemental Update 19H15 goes back to black screen. I believe I'll have to wait for newer versions of Lilu (Beyond 1.4.9) and Whatevergreen (Beyond 1.4.4)

:(
In the Supplemental Update there are new drivers for AMD, perhaps this influences that change you have observed. Not forgetting that foxbox patch was originally for 10.14 although it has continued working in 10.15 but something has changed in this Update.
When you test the DP cable, comment here if it works better with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back