Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

All checks have been passed.
One question, how did you get HD4000 to work when the 6,1 MP has no integrated graphics ? It's Xeon based and uses the AMD Firepro graphics.

One question, how did you get HD4000 to work when the 6,1 MP has no integrated graphics ? It's Xeon based and uses the AMD Firepro graphics.
Good question,
The Ivy Bridge architecture and drivers are still available on Big Sur thanks to MacPro6,1 as it’s the last Ivy Bridge supported.

They did not bother to tweak the driver and remove support for the rest and only leave the one for MacPro6,1 but they left the entire Ivy Bridge support.

MacPro6,1 serves us as a passport to Ivy Bridge and Big Sur.
Otherwise im still using same framebuffer i used on macmini6,1.
Same Power Management SSDT.aml works as well since ivy support is there.

As far as i have seen, all they did is just remove SMBIOS so you can’t continue installation if unsupported otherwise drivers are there untilMacPro6,1 gets dropped.

As far as i have seen, all they did is just remove SMBIOS so you can’t continue installation if unsupported otherwise drivers are there untilMacPro6,1 gets dropped.
So in theory wouldn't it be possible to use the -no_compat_check boot argument and keep using Mac Mini 6,1 instead ? Or is that flag not recognized by OpenCore ?

If that flag were to work then HP 8300 owners wouldn't have to change their Serials, UUID and re-register all of their software. That is the biggest hassle of changing SMBIOS.

Last edited:
They did not bother to tweak the driver and remove support for the rest and only leave the one for MacPro6,1 but they left the entire Ivy Bridge support.
I wonder if the HD4000 kext and drivers will be removed by the time Big Sur is out of beta later this fall ? Then you'd need to add them back to the OC EFI folder to make HD4000 work again.

Last edited:
So in theory wouldn't it be possible to use the -no_compat_check boot argument and keep using Mac Mini 6,1 instead ? Or is that flag not recognized by OpenCore ?
In theory and on practice sort of, "but" the problem is that if you attempt to download an application from the Mac App Store using -no_compat_check or something like that, it will give you the notification that it is not supported on this device, so it's more a No than a Yes.
Also Power Management may be affected as well and some other things under the hood as that SMBIOS isn't present on the system and it won't match/attach correctly to all drivers.
If that flag were to work then HP 8300 owners wouldn't have to change their Serials, UUID and re-register all of their software. That is the biggest hassle of changing SMBIOS.
MLB and ROM are the only two values that allow you to sign in to iMessage.

Personally my AppleID is newer and iMessage never worked on hackintosh until i borrowed a MLB and ROM from 2-3 abandoned devices, i did play around a lot with iMessage to make it work and for me it's only genuine MLB and ROM from an Apple Device. generate my own serial number and UUID and works perfect.

So as a note, you can keep those two and generate the rest as new, it should work.
I wonder if the HD4000 kext and drivers will be removed by the time Big Sur is out of beta later this fall ? Then you'd need to add them back to the OC EFI folder to make HD4000 work again.
They will stay on Big Sur as MacPro6,1 will remain supported for this macOS version, they don't want to waste time to tweak and remove device-id(s) and ig-platform-id(s) and their respective code for each GPU and CPU model.

They just removed the supported SMBIOS and left the drivers as they were before, why waste time when next major release they will simply remove them completely.

At least this is a good thing for us as it extends the lifespan of our HP machines for an additional year.

I never tried 6,1 on big sur, but 15,1 worked out of the box. I copied my ssdt from Catalina OC 0.6.0 imac 13,2, and got the cpu turbo boost working as well on the i5-3470 (hd2500) I have. Just two cents from my experience. I am not sure if cpu turbo boost working equals all cpu power management working.

I never tried 6,1 on big sur, but 15,1 worked out of the box. I copied my ssdt from Catalina OC 0.6.0 imac 13,2, and got the cpu turbo boost working as well on the i5-3470 (hd2500) I have. Just two cents from my experience. I am not sure if cpu turbo boost working equals all cpu power management working.
As long as it works, it doesn't matter. it's up to each and everyone(s) personal choice.

However i do believe that MacPro6,1 is the right choice because:
- It's Ivy Bridge architecture
- Uses drivers from same class/architecture which are still there
- Worked OOB for me as well, only changed the SMBIOS
- MacPro6,1 is more like a towerPC compared to an iMac, Dedicated GPU users may have better time with it "in theory".

As for Power Management, you can check using IORegistryExplorer:
Big Sur.png

As long as it works, it doesn't matter. it's up to each and everyone(s) personal choice.

- MacPro6,1 is more like a towerPC compared to an iMac, Dedicated GPU users may have better time with it "in theory".

According to everymac, imac 13,2 is i5-3470, exact processor as my hp8300, will that not be the better fit for the architecture and stuff?

Very nice, look forward to the guide, if you need testers, I am available.

Additionally, my IOregisteryExplorer looks like this iMac 15,1 but ssdt generated for iMac13,2 (from my OC 0.6.0 Catalina install)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 7.28.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 7.28.56 PM.png
    102 KB · Views: 64
Back