Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

I don't think it will. It has more to do with what Apple has done since Mojave with macOS. When you use any monitor that is less than Retina quality with Mojave or Catalina the fonts can look jagged and blurry. What is your monitor's resolution ? Try loading up High Sierra and compare how sharp the fonts look on the same monitor you're using now.

Thanks for the reply. Both of my monitors are 1920x1080 (both 1080p), different brands though. I also tried to use just one monitor. No dice. I tried all those command line smoothing options as well, nothing makes it better. btw, big sur beta had the same font rendering as catalina

Thanks for the reply. Both of my monitors are 1920x1080 (both 1080p), different brands though. I also tried to use just one monitor. No dice. I tried all those command line smoothing options as well, nothing makes it better. btw, big sur beta had the same font rendering as catalina
Even 2 of the 3 lowly 21.5" iMacs now have 4K Retina displays, a true 4K 4096 x 2304 P3 display which is a higher resolution than all 4K TVs have, 3840 x 2160. So it seems that Apple doesn't seem to care about people that still use 1080p displays. The best looking fonts on a hackintosh seem to require at least a 4K monitor that can scale down to a Retina like resolution. The LG 4K is one example. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGL2WVS/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 Not nearly as cheap as a 27" 1080p display. May be a good investment if you read text all day long. Your GT 710 would only give you a 30Hz refresh rate though. The lowest cost LG Ultrafine that Apple endorses costs $700 to get true 4K Retina on a standalone monitor.

Screen Shot 13.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Can't spend that kind of money. Seems tinker tool's font smoothing option set to light and uncheck old font smoothing makes things a little better or maybe I just want to see that it looks better :D

Is it better or similar to Catalina (if you have such info)?
Since Catalina has been overwritten by Big Sur, now there is no Catalina left, I will attach an image in Japanese display.
スクリーンショット 2020-07-16 14.25.24.png

Does it look better to you on big sur? I don't necessarily trust screenshots because they smooth out details that we are trying to distinguish.

Does it look better to you on big sur? I don't necessarily trust screenshots because they smooth out details that we are trying to distinguish.
Regarding font display, there is no particular change when comparing Catalina and Big Sur.
I don't know what "font rendering" means, so I think it's easier to understand with an image.

Hey guys, sorry for missing out there.

Im installing Big Sur right now on my HP Elite 8300 SFF using MacPro6,1 SMBIOS.

Once installer finishes, will do all the checks and cleanups and prepare the EFI and guide for OpenCore.

I will make sure to make everything work including FileVault.

As for Graphics Cards, i only have the Intel HD 4000 so AMD and Nvidia Users will have to handle the GPU side on their own.
I do have the MSI Geforce GTX1650 4GB Low Profile but that is not supported.

Reason i choosed MacPro6,1 is because it's the only last supported Ivy Bridge Architecture therefore Power Management and other things should match and work better.

Reactions: GTG
All checks have been passed.

OpenCore 0.6.0 - August Kexts from Acidanthera.

• Graphics works
  • Audio works
  • Trim works
  • Lan works
  • OpenCanopy (OpenCore GUI) works
  • Power Management works
  • USB Ports works
  • Sleep/wake works
  • FileVault works
  • everything seems to be working perfect as far as i have tested

Back