Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I missed this, but is this guide applicable to a clean High Sierra install as well? I was planning on using the guide by @trs96 but sounds like this guide might be the more stable way to go? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or if there's no benefit from using one over the other!
You can use this guide for HS install. Both guides work. This one uses UEFI hot patching and SSDTs to fix problems with the DSDT. My High Sierra guide uses DSDT patching, it's probably somewhat easier to just use the SSDT method here since all the work is done already, just put them in the right place. Don't mix parts of one guide with the other as that will lead to confusion. You can use my BIOS flashing section of the Sierra guide which goes into great detail on how to do that.

Would you post the exact one you've used so others can learn from this and avoid the same problem ?

Note that you can buy a replacement motherboard on Ebay for a very small amount of money and get your 6300 Pro working again.
Sorry took so long

SG$ 9.33 | ATX 24pin to Motherboard 2-port 6pin adapter Power supply cable Cord for HP Z220 Z230 SFF Mainboard server Workstation 30cm

Thats the cable that i bought. I still have an i5 3470. Im considering getting a 8300 mobo for it. My z68 GA mobo gave out, would just keep on rebooting. Apparently a known issue for this mobo.

This + aftermarket PSU + full size rx570/580 would be good combo
I don't think so. You'll likely get the same issues again as you have to use a 24 pin to 6 pin adapter with any aftermarket PSU. Also they're charging double the normal price for that 8300 MT motherboard. Look at them on Ebay.com. You could buy the Dell Optiplex 9010 which can use a standard ATX PSU without any adapter. The 9010 Boards are also Q77 based and work with your i5-3470. I've written a fully detailed guide with all kexts, SSDTs and a config.plist specifically for the Dell 9010. Sniki actually created the SSDTs and config.plist so the Dell Optiplex guide is very similar to this one for the HP models.

You can also buy just a Dell 9010 MT motherboard on Ebay and install it in your existing case. One problem is that the power switch is also proprietary so you'd need to buy a Dell refurb of that to use in your case. Here's a link to one you can get on Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiP...rstClass!53590!US!-1:rk:4:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Second problem is that the motherboard fan headers are 5 pin and need adpaters to connect 4 pin fans to them. Why Dell did this, I have no idea. Maybe to sell more of their fans ? Adapters for these can also be found on Ebay.

Last edited:
Has anyone installed the Supplemental Update? I tried yesterday, but it froze in the boot process after I selected boot from Mac OS Install. I was able to boot from the regular system volume fine.

Has anyone installed the Supplemental Update? I tried yesterday, but it froze in the boot process after I selected boot from Mac OS Install. I was able to boot from the regular system volume fine.
I would just wait until the .4 update which will include it. If you're worried about Facetime bugs it might be worth getting now but it's not essential.

I'm not worried/in a hurry in the least. My Mojave SSD is still very much just in "get things working/transferred in my spare time" mode. Just was curious. I'll wait for .4, and for others to successfully install.

I installed the Supplemental Update without problems in three 8300s.
The machine reboots in the middle of the install and you have to select
the correct option in the reboot.

How long did the install take after you selected "Boot from Mac OS Install" in Clover? Mine got to about 10-20% of the boot status bar then froze. I tried twice, the first for about 10-20 minutes, the second longer, before I gave up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back