Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might try the reboot in verbose mode, and it may overcome a video initialization problem
or show how it is hanging up. The update reboot took less than 20 minutes with an SSD drive
but might take longer with a hard drive install.

I installed the Supplemental Update without problems in three 8300s.
The machine reboots in the middle of the install and you have to select
the correct option in the reboot.
I haven't had a chance to try this again, but was wondering; did you update any of the kexts or Clover before you updated, or are you still using the versions from the guide?

Hi everyone,

I successfully installed the Mac startup boot chime in my 8300 with Clover r4871.
It took me a few tries to consolidate info from a number of postings, and to get
the 48,000 sample per second version (thanks mm2margaret!). I've reposted the
various working files here in a zip that emulates the EFI file structure that is needed.

As shown in the zipped file, mount your EFI partition and install:

(1) bootchime.wav in your EFI folder
(2) AudioDxe-64.efi and BootChimeDxe.efi in your EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI folder
(3) BootChimeCfg.efi and HdaCodecDump.efi in your EFI/Clover/Tools folder

I did not need to make any changes to my config.plist file. Reboot. Wait until the Clover
boot screen appears. The chime occurs after you select the MacOS, and increases the
delay before booting by about two seconds.

By default, my machines ignored my Sound Preferences settings and played the Bootchime
from the internal speaker. If yours doesn't, you may have a bad NVRAM setting, which you
can clear by hitting F11 at the Clover Boot Screen. To change the default, or manually set
up the internal speaker, go to the Start UEFI Shell 64 at the Clover Boot Screen. After a small
delay, you get the Shell> prompt. You first have to select the correct file system. On my
machines, the EFI resides on disk0s1 and I select filesystem FS0 and show I'm in the correct
filesystem as follows:

Shell> FS0:
FS0:\> dir
FS0:\> EFI

I then change to the tools directory
FS0:\> cd EFI/Clover/Tools

and run the configuration utility
FS0:\> BootChimeCfg

There you can list the available outputs (L), select a particular output (S), adjust the volume (V),
test playing the chime (T), clear the NVRAM variables (X), and quit (Q). On my machines, I am able
to play the Bootchime over the line out jack, the headphone jack, or internal speaker, but my HDMI
output through the MSI RX 560 graphics card does not work. I could not hear the chime over the jacks
at low volume settings, and ended up with line out at 82 volume.

After the quit BootChimeCfg, Exit the Shell and feel silly and happy when you hear your Mac chime
with extra boot delay. If you later reset the NVRAM variables, you have to reconfigure the bootchime.

I hope this is helpful and not too pedantic.

Attachments

• Bootchime.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 195
I haven't had a chance to try this again, but was wondering; did you update any of the kexts or Clover before you updated, or are you still using the versions from the guide?

I'm using the latest versions of the kexts and the latest stable Clover. As opposed to the guide, I only install FakeSMC
in Clover/kexts/other and install FakeSMC and all other kexts in Library/Extensions.

How long did the install take after you selected "Boot from Mac OS Install" in Clover? Mine got to about 10-20% of the boot status bar then froze. I tried twice, the first for about 10-20 minutes, the second longer, before I gave up.
Mine hung there too for a bit and then I gave up. Seems to be something with "kextd stall AppleACPICPU"

I'm not an expert in debugging your upgrade, and you need to post debug files for real help.

It turns out that the Clover Audio tools will also play a sound.wav in your theme folder
when clover starts. Here's a zipped Intel theme sound file that works for me.

Attachments

• sound.wav.zip
    372 KB · Views: 76
I'm not an expert in debugging your upgrade, and you need to post debug files for real help.

When booting in verbose mode, do you see a
"Waiting for DSMOS" without a corresponding "DSMOS has arrived" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back