Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Catalina on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - CLOVER & OC

That's the outcome of my testing... Something that you won't have to do. ;)
Working perfect, thank you!

I actually think this is a mistake which was leftover from a previous config that I should be correcting. Thanks for pointing this out. Actually it seems to autocorrect:

View attachment 496999

Edit: And thanks to you pointing it out, I have now patched my connectors and have all 3 DP functioning! Thank you!

Could you please paste this part of the confguration?

First of all thanks for all your fantastic work.

rafale77, I'm starting a new hackintosh with G5, are you using OC or CLOVER?

Working perfect, thank you!

Could you please paste this part of the confguration?

This is the patch generated by hackintool for our machine. I replaced the content of the entire device properties/add section with it. It is valid for units with 3 DP connectors.

Attachments

• config.plist
    1.3 KB · Views: 52
First of all thanks for all your fantastic work.

rafale77, I'm starting a new hackintosh with G5, are you using OC or CLOVER?

Welcome!
We are stepping on shoulders of giants... I am using OC after using clover for years without ever really knowing what I was doing. I am only now digging deeper. I am highly recommending getting a 600 or 800 as the 400 actually use a different chipset (Q370 vs H360) and NIC (intel i219 vs Realtek).

Additional findings... The BIOS shows a microphone which apparently does not exist. I chased down the author of commit for Apple ALC layout 20 for our machines, asking for him to enable this microphone but even windows does see it and neither do I see it in the specifications. One less thing that I thought wasn't working.

I have been chasing the watch unlock issue and dug deeper into the brcmrampatch. As it turns out, it is necessary for my DW1830 to work. What is odd is that the firmware gets loaded into the BT chip RAM and retains it even after a cold boot. It only gets wiped out if you unplug power from the PC.
I looked all over for the latest available firmware and got to the same version as the one in the kext even on much newer windows driver packages (12.0.1.1105)
Turning on the console to monitor the activity from the auto unlock process didn't get me closer to resolving the problem. I can see the hack find the watch, figure out that it is unlocked and then sending it a picture for authentication, which is successful and then send an unlock prompt to the watch which gives me an error with no information. I can only see from my growl monitor that the BT connection is not established unlike the cases when the unlock is successful and doesn't appear to be true since I see all the BT traffic. Such a very weird problem.

Thanks, thanks, thanks for you fast answer. I'm going to do it on a Elitedesk 800 Mini G5, i5 8500, 16Gb RAM, NVME and single DP monitor. Regarding sound i still have from my pre historic hackintosh a Creative USB sounbcard. I'll post all my feedback here. Going to Catalina!

Additional findings... The BIOS shows a microphone which apparently does not exist. I chased down the author of commit for Apple ALC layout 20 for our machines, asking for him to enable this microphone but even windows does see it and neither do I see it in the specifications. One less thing that I thought wasn't working.
@Delek first reported here that microphone works if we use VoodooHDA.kext instead of AppleALC.kext. I have confirmed this here. Note that my VoodooHDA.kext installation method works only for CLOVER (where kexts can be installed in /S/L/E because SIP is disabled). The "classic" VoodooHDA.kext installation method probably doesn't work with OpenCore unless we partially or fully disable SIP.

There are two EFIs floating around in this thread: one for CLOVER and one for Open Core. The CLOVER EFI is contained in the "HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini.zip" archive attached to Post #1 in this Catalina thread. Look for and replace "XX-MASKED-XX" in the CLOVER EFI.

The latest Open Core EFI is attached to Post #1 in the Big Sur thread. Look for and replace "***REPLACE***" in the Open Core EFI.

Decide whether you want to use CLOVER (which, in this thread, supports Catalina and not Big Sur) or Open Core which supports Catalina and Big Sur. My current baseline is Catalina 10.15.7 with CLOVER r5122 and the CLOVER EFI. I am still experimenting/testing with Open Core.

If you decide to use CLOVER / Catalina: Use CLOVER r5122 (the EFI in this thread has been designed and tested with CLOVER r5122). Replace the "XX-MASKED-XX" values RtVariables:MLB, SMBIOS:BoardSerialNumber, SMBIOS:SerialNumber, SMBIOS:SmUUID, SystemParameters:CustomUUID.

If you decide to use Open Core / Catalina or Big Sur: Use Open Core 0.6.3 (the EFI in the Big Sur thread is designed and tested with OC 0.6.3). Replace the "***REPLACE*** values PlatformInfo:Generic:MLB, PlatformInfo:Generic:SystemSerialNumber, PlatformInfo:Generic:SystemUUID.
I was looking at the wrong file to edit, the instructions said to edit the conflig.plist in EFI/CLOVER and it was actually the config.plist in EFI/ that I needed to edit.

But on to the next issue (I love Hackintosh's). Booted the installer; wiped the drive and formatted it as APFS and Scheme GUID Partition Map, run the installer, it does the first set and then reboots, but Clover does not see the partial install on the drive when I boot from the USB stick. No option "Boot macOS Install", only shows the USB stick.

I swapped drives, made a new USB stick, double-checked the BIOS configuration and the clover configuration. Wiped the drives from the installer / disk utilitiy and did the install about 5 times, Clover still doesn't see it.

I was looking at the wrong file to edit, the instructions said to edit the conflig.plist in EFI/CLOVER and it was actually the config.plist in EFI/ that I needed to edit.

But on to the next issue (I love Hackintosh's). Booted the installer; wiped the drive and formatted it as APFS and Scheme GUID Partition Map, run the installer, it does the first set and then reboots, but Clover does not see the partial install on the drive when I boot from the USB stick. No option "Boot macOS Install", only shows the USB stick.

I swapped drives, made a new USB stick, double-checked the BIOS configuration and the clover configuration. Wiped the drives from the installer / disk utilitiy and did the install about 5 times, Clover still doesn't see it.
You have found a "bug" in my CLOVER EFI attached to Post #1 in this Catalina thread. The way I posted the CLOVER EFI in the EFI folder is confusing for anyone new to CLOVER. When you install CLOVER r5122, the folder structure is EFI/CLOVER and within EFI/CLOVER are config.plist, ACPI folder, kexts folder, drivers folder, etc. The EFI I posted is not the structure of the actual CLOVER install. You should install CLOVER r5122 and then copy / replace the folders from my posted CLOVER EFI to their correct locations. I will make this change in my next EFI update.

Bottom line: EFI/CLOVER/config.plist should be the final installation.

You have found a "bug" in my CLOVER EFI attached to Post #1 in this Catalina thread. The way I posted the CLOVER EFI in the EFI folder is confusing for anyone new to CLOVER. When you install CLOVER r5122, the folder structure is EFI/CLOVER and within EFI/CLOVER are config.plist, ACPI folder, kexts folder, drivers folder, etc. The EFI I posted is not the structure of the actual CLOVER install. You should install CLOVER r5122 and then copy / replace the folders from my posted CLOVER EFI to their correct locations. I will make this change in my next EFI update.

Bottom line: EFI/CLOVER/config.plist should be the final installation.
Could this be why Clover is not seeing the partial install after the first reboot?

Or should I dump Clover and go with OC?

@Delek first reported here that microphone works if we use VoodooHDA.kext instead of AppleALC.kext. I have confirmed this here. Note that my VoodooHDA.kext installation method works only for CLOVER (where kexts can be installed in /S/L/E because SIP is disabled). The "classic" VoodooHDA.kext installation method probably doesn't work with OpenCore unless we partially or fully disable SIP.
We are not talking about the same microphone. I was chasing an onboard microphone thinking that there was one (like a laptop would). Does the microphone jack not work with AppleALC layout 20? I thought that's why it was created but I have not tested it.

Back