Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Catalina on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - CLOVER & OC

Motherboard
HP Elitedesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
And Big Sur update was successful here too!
It's pretty funny to see the machine boot into windows showing the circling dots with the apple logo on top. :)
Attached another good logo.

Attachments

• apple.jpg
    apple.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
i5-8500T
Graphics
UHD 630 + 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I don’t understand you installed Big Sur under Clover or OC?
If Clover what version?

p.s. I tested my wife's MacBook with Big Sur - strange feelings, I like the Catalina design more

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I don’t understand you installed Big Sur under Clover or OC?
If Clover what version?
I performed the BS update with OC using the EFI here. I am using a separate SSD for my OC / BS testing to keep my production drive (still booting CLOVER r5122 / 10.15.7) untouched. On my separate test SSD, I installed Catalina 10.15.7 (booting with OC 0.6.3), applied the Catalina Supplemental Update and then applied the BS update.

Based on macOS release history, I won't be switching to BS for production until incremental version 3 or 4. Catalina will remain my production macOS, so for now, this is just a fun exercise for me that is preparing for the future.

Motherboard
HP Elitedesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
There are enough fixes on Big Sur for me to switch out of Catalina. I had some weird problems on Safari14 with several of my server GUIs crashing (for example home assistant) which is fixed on 14.0.1. So far none of my "tweaks" broke and everything seems to be working a bit smoother. It was actually funny that the upgrade on my hack went smoother than the upgrade on my 12" macbook. And yes I too am using OC. I obsoleted Clover since I switched to the 800G5.

PS: Time to move this thread to the Big Sur section maybe?

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
i5-8500T
Graphics
UHD 630 + 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Then I will be like a test pilot) I make a copy of the working image and try to update on Clover.
I took out a 1TB hard drive from the warehouse that came with HP for tests.
Wait for news - I will update this post

1. Updated Clover to 5126, disabled driver AptioMemoryFix, enabled drivers OcQuirks and OpenRuntime. Catalina started, now try to update it.
2. Installed Big Sur - all is OK)

p.s. I leave this thread and go to Big Sur

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@Stork is there a way for this thread to appear in both the Catalina and Big Sur Desktop Forums, or do we need to create a new Big Sur thread. It would be ideal if we can create a "link" thread in the Big Sur Desktop Forum that points to this thread, since there will be overlap for a while.

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
A new thread dedicated to Big Sur on the HP EliteDesk 800 G4 / G5 Mini has been created here.

@Stork At the time that I created the Big Sur Thread, there was not a tag for "Big Sur"

Motherboard
HP Elitedesk G3 800 -
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
HD 530
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
does this tuto work with elitedesk 800 mini G3 version ?

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
does this tuto work with elitedesk 800 mini G3 version ?
I would recommend finding a thread on the G3 and post questions there, since our systems have fundamental differences that greatly affect how we patch for macOS. You will learn a lot by reading this thread (starting with the first post and paying attention to methodology and lessons learned), but your solution will be different and the solutions in this thread may lead you down the wrong path for your system.

The immediate differences that I see are your chipset (Q270 vs the G4 Q370) and generation of your CPU (6th or 7th gen vs 8th gen for G4 and 9th gen for G5). This may require different Quirks if you're using OC.

Also, your SMBIOS MacModel may be need to be different (for CPU and GPU power management) and you may need to spoof / fake a different CPU if your CPU is not "natively" supported by Apple. I don't know what "native" support Apple has that match your system specs.

Because your graphics are different (UHD 530 vs UHD 630), your WhateverGreen DeviceProperties will be different. You will need to read this.

@maclode1950 I happened to be looking at the specs for an EliteDesk 800 G3 Mini and see that Kabylake HD 630 Graphics are possible in your unit. I had stated 530 above. You'll still need to develop your own WEG patches, but I wanted to correct my statement. Good luck!

Last edited: