Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Catalina on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - CLOVER & OC

Yes, without touching anything from your stock EFI, it works flawless (also with the bad values of framebuffer, dind’t touch any of them and it works). The kernel panic appears only if I change SMBIOS to iMac19,1. I am going to change the connection type now to see if it works.

@chanquete69, What result are you expecting from changing the SMBIOS to the iMac19,1?
I have done so on mine and saw no benefit to doing it. The CPU support for the gen9 is not improved as it still uses the same gen8 CPU driver but it expects a built in screen and a dGPU which our machines don't have. The iMac uses the dGPU for display and the iGPU for computation. You can patch the the framebuffer to make it work as I did but... I saw no benefit. If you really want to do this, I will share the EFI I used which includes most of what @deeveedee discussed.

That was exactly what I wanted to try, if CPU PM was better using iMac19,1 SMBIOS. If you have tried it and there are not benefits, I will stuck with Macmini8,1. Thank you very much for your opinion @rafale77!

The only thing I would like to test is boot chime using the internal speaker and this EFI will be perfect! :D

That was exactly what I wanted to try, if CPU PM was better using iMac19,1 SMBIOS. If you have tried it and there are not benefits, I will stuck with Macmini8,1. Thank you very much for your opinion @rafale77!

The only thing I would like to test is boot chime using the internal speaker and this EFI will be perfect! :D
Alright try this out, it has the chime enabled and no voice assistance. I can add the voice assistance if needed:

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23 MB · Views: 76
Thank you very much! Output 2 is the internal speaker?

That's the outcome of my testing... Something that you won't have to do. ;)

Great guide and very detailed. I'm trying to follow it with a 800 G5, but I'm not getting any further than the initial Clover boot screen.

Specs:
  • CPU: Core i5-9500T
  • GPU: Intel UHD 630
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400MHz
  • Motherboard/Laptop model: HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Desktop Mini (7YX38PA)
  • BIOS: 02.07.01 Rev.A (That's all HP had on their site)
  • Audio Codec: Conexant CX20632
  • Ethernet Card: Intel i219-LM
  • Wifi/BT Card: None

I used my real MacMini to make the Catalina boot stick (following the instructions linked), downloaded Clover (R5122), installed it to the flash stick following the instructions on topic 1 (the option for ApfsDriverLoader was missing), copied over the EFI file (merged, did not prompt to replace files), copied over the kexts from the LE folder. I looked inside the config.plist and there was no spot for me to replace "XX-MASKED-XX", so skipped it.

I set the BIOS settings with what was recommended, restarted a bunch of times applying those changes.

Booted from the flash stick. I get the clover menu, click on 'Boot macOS Install' and I get an offset Apple logo, no errors or anything, and it doesn't move forward.

I used a different flash stick, followed the instructions again and created a new one just for giggles, same result.

No idea what to do at this point cause there aren't any logs or errors showing when trying to boot into the installed. I went into the Clover settings and I have absolutely no idea what to select or even try. It didn't save any log files to the USB stick either.

And as an extra bonus cause I wasn't paying attention, installed Clover on accident on my real Mac, which I guess completely screws the boot - I haven't rebooted yet to see what happens, but I'm sure that's going to be fun when that happens.

I looked inside the config.plist and there was no spot for me to replace "XX-MASKED-XX", so skipped it.
There are two EFIs floating around in this thread: one for CLOVER and one for Open Core. The CLOVER EFI is contained in the "HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini.zip" archive attached to Post #1 in this Catalina thread. Look for and replace "XX-MASKED-XX" in the CLOVER EFI.

The latest Open Core EFI is attached to Post #1 in the Big Sur thread. Look for and replace "***REPLACE***" in the Open Core EFI.

Decide whether you want to use CLOVER (which, in this thread, supports Catalina and not Big Sur) or Open Core which supports Catalina and Big Sur. My current baseline is Catalina 10.15.7 with CLOVER r5122 and the CLOVER EFI. I am still experimenting/testing with Open Core.

If you decide to use CLOVER / Catalina: Use CLOVER r5122 (the EFI in this thread has been designed and tested with CLOVER r5122). Replace the "XX-MASKED-XX" values RtVariables:MLB, SMBIOS:BoardSerialNumber, SMBIOS:SerialNumber, SMBIOS:SmUUID, SystemParameters:CustomUUID.

If you decide to use Open Core / Catalina or Big Sur: Use Open Core 0.6.3 (the EFI in the Big Sur thread is designed and tested with OC 0.6.3). Replace the "***REPLACE*** values PlatformInfo:Generic:MLB, PlatformInfo:Generic:SystemSerialNumber, PlatformInfo:Generic:SystemUUID.

Last edited:
Alright try this out, it has the chime enabled and no voice assistance. I can add the voice assistance if needed:
I just noticed something in your graphics Device Properties: you are using busID 0x01 with type 0x0400 (DP) and that is working for you. That contradicts this guide which says that busID 0x01 is not valid for DP. I think you may have discovered something.

I just noticed something in your graphics Device Properties: you are using busID 0x01 with type 0x0400 (DP) and that is working for you. That contradicts this guide which says that busID 0x01 is not valid for DP. I think you may have discovered something.
I actually think this is a mistake which was leftover from a previous config that I should be correcting. Thanks for pointing this out. Actually it seems to autocorrect:

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 18.54.18.png

Edit: And thanks to you pointing it out, I have now patched my connectors and have all 3 DP functioning! Thank you!

Last edited:
Back