Contribute
Register

[Guide] ASUS Zenbook UX310UA (& UX310UQK) macOS Mojave / Catalina with Clover (& Big Sur / Monterey using OpenCore EFI) Installation Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update November 16th, 2021: Minor update. Updated to latest OC 0.7.5.

Friends,

First, my thanks to all for the knowledge shared in this thread. I've got my UX310UA (i3-6100U) up and running with OpenCore 0.7.5 and BigSur, and as far as I checked, all devices and ports work: I finally have a reliable Bluetooth (using a DW1560) which I never got working using Clover and High Sierra/Mojave.

There is however one thing that I could use some help with: external monitors over HDMI and DisplayPort (USB-C connector).

When I boot with two external monitors powered on and connected (HDMI and DP), the built-in screen shows the OpenCore picker and the Apple logo until the graphics subsystem is initialized. At that point the built-in screen goes black, and the DisplayPort monitor comes alive and shows the login screen. The HDMI monitor remains black, the built-in display also remains black.

The Display preferences pane only shows the DisplayPort and the built-in screen as connected displays. HDMI is not detected unless I disconnect the HDMI cable and then plug it back in. After that the graphics subsystem reinitializes and DisplayPort and HDMI work, but the built-in display still remains black.

I do have a procedure to get all three screens active:
  1. Boot with only the external DisplayPort monitor connected: the DisplayPort monitor will be active showing the login screen, the built-in display will be black.
  2. Log in and put the laptop to sleep from the Apple menu
  3. Wait until the computer is asleep (displays are black and the fan shuts down)
  4. Wake the computer up using the keyboard
  5. The DisplayPort monitor and the built-in display will wake up and both will be active.
  6. Log in and connect the HDMI monitor. The graphics subsystem re-initializes and all three display are active.
But this adds a minute or so and manual actions to booting up, so I was wondering how this can be fixed.

Does this ring a bell for anyone? Can I assume that the framebuffer configuration in OC/config.plist is correct if all three display can be made to be active this way? Is this an ACPI issue related to power management? What possible ACPI patches could I try?

EFI folder is attached. Device properties were generated using Hackintool.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    13.4 MB · Views: 81
Friends,

First, my thanks to all for the knowledge shared in this thread. I've got my UX310UA (i3-6100U) up and running with OpenCore 0.7.5 and BigSur, and as far as I checked, all devices and ports work: I finally have a reliable Bluetooth (using a DW1560) which I never got working using Clover and High Sierra/Mojave.

There is however one thing that I could use some help with: external monitors over HDMI and DisplayPort (USB-C connector).

When I boot with two external monitors powered on and connected (HDMI and DP), the built-in screen shows the OpenCore picker and the Apple logo until the graphics subsystem is initialized. At that point the built-in screen goes black, and the DisplayPort monitor comes alive and shows the login screen. The HDMI monitor remains black, the built-in display also remains black.

The Display preferences pane only shows the DisplayPort and the built-in screen as connected displays. HDMI is not detected unless I disconnect the HDMI cable and then plug it back in. After that the graphics subsystem reinitializes and DisplayPort and HDMI work, but the built-in display still remains black.

I do have a procedure to get all three screens active:
  1. Boot with only the external DisplayPort monitor connected: the DisplayPort monitor will be active showing the login screen, the built-in display will be black.
  2. Log in and put the laptop to sleep from the Apple menu
  3. Wait until the computer is asleep (displays are black and the fan shuts down)
  4. Wake the computer up using the keyboard
  5. The DisplayPort monitor and the built-in display will wake up and both will be active.
  6. Log in and connect the HDMI monitor. The graphics subsystem re-initializes and all three display are active.
But this adds a minute or so and manual actions to booting up, so I was wondering how this can be fixed.

Does this ring a bell for anyone? Can I assume that the framebuffer configuration in OC/config.plist is correct if all three display can be made to be active this way? Is this an ACPI issue related to power management? What possible ACPI patches could I try?

EFI folder is attached. Device properties were generated using Hackintool.
Hey! Glad to know this guide worked for you :)

As for your question, sadly I can't help for two reasons:

1. I started to use a MacBook Pro this year, so I moved out from the hackintosh world after several years.
2. I still have my hackintosh, and I guess I'll update this guide sometimes, but I don't have two monitors to test the connections. I've always used a single monitor connected to the DP and worked great.

HOWEVER, when I used the laptop connected to the external monitor over the USB-C port, I was always able to see both screens active, so that's a difference here. If I boot the hack connected to the monitor using usb-c, it's like what you've said: I can see the picker in the built-in screen, until I reach the login screen, that turns on the external monitor too (so in that screen, both screens are active for me). Same happens if I use the HDMI connection. But I never tried both connections at the same time.

This looks like an ACPI limitation of some sort, but it can also be something that might get solved with Framebuffer patches.

You'll have to read and try a few things. I recommend you to test using a USB Thumb Drive. Put a copy of your EFI there, do your modifications to that EFI, and boot using that drive. If something broke you can always restart and just boot normally from your boot disk.

Thanks for the updated EFI !! Did a clean install of Montery, and it worked perfect !
Even keyboard backlight works !

Hey! Glad to know this guide worked for you :)

[...]

This looks like an ACPI limitation of some sort, but it can also be something that might get solved with Framebuffer patches.

You'll have to read and try a few things. I recommend you to test using a USB Thumb Drive. Put a copy of your EFI there, do your modifications to that EFI, and boot using that drive. If something broke you can always restart and just boot normally from your boot disk.
Thanks for your response and advice. I've been following the OpenCore guides regarding framebuffer patching, and the WhateverGreen documentation. I've tried all the "AAPL,ig-platform-id" values that seem applicable to a HD520 (that is, the HD515, HD520 and HD540 variants), but either all screens stay black, or the screens behave as described. I'll keep experimenting until I decide that I'll just have to live with it...

I'm currently running the hackintosh completely of a USB attached SSD disk that I will eventually install inside the UX310UA. This is because I followed a slightly different install procedure using my late-2013 MacbookPro now that we can have fully vanilla installs of MacOS:
  1. Get an 2.5" SSD disk to install into the UX310UA, and a suitable USB3 enclosure or connector (or use a USB stick if you're not going to install it permanently into the laptop anyway)
  2. Download BigSur installer on the MacbookPro, attach the USB SSD disk and install BigSur onto that USB disk
  3. On the MacbookPro, download the EFI from this thread, of follow the OpenCore guide to create a suitable EFI content (my current EFI was built from scratch using OpenCore guides and cross checking with the example EFI from this thread because I wasn't sure where to make changes for my Skylake vs. your Kabylake)
  4. Put the EFI directory on the SSD. I also keep copies of the EFI on my MacbookPro to be able to track and revert changes (at some point I just might enable GIT or Hg on the EFI directory itself)
  5. Attach the USB3 SSD to the UX310UA and boot into BigSur
The fun thing is that I can boot the UX310UA and the MacbookPro from that same BigSur USB3 disk. That did help me in authenticating my iCloud account. That kept failing on the UX310UA, but succeeded when I booted the drive on the MacbookPro. After that the iCloud connection was automatic on the UX310UA.

A few days in I've noticed that the temporary freezes (one to two minutes, every now and then) of the touchpad are still happening. I'm not expecting that to be resolved and I'm mostly using a USB mouse anyways. Also, the fanspeeds are not reported and cannot be controlled. I guess that's just the current state of VirtualSMC and SMCSuperIO. Not sure if it's a good idea to try to revert to FakeSMC for this. And I'm still looking into the keyboard backlight which I had completely forgotten about.

On the other hand, following the OpenCore guide to enable FileVault worked perfectly on the first try and booting on the MacbookPro still works.

Again, thanks for all the good work. I'll keep trying things and I'll report any successes.

Good time of day.
I decided to post my EFI as I managed to get the keyboard backlight and the light sensor to work. The card reader is not started. F1, F2 does not work. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are native (Intel).This EFI works with Monterey.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    32.6 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Again, thanks for all the good work. I'll keep trying things and I'll report any successes.
Hi everyone,

A brief update on my struggle with the external HDMI and DisplayPort monitors. I tried switching them around (connected the HDMI monitor to the DP adapter, and vice versa) and that had the result that neither was working anymore and only the built-in display was operational. Switched them back, and they worked as described earlier (wake from sleep to enable built-in display and DP connected monitor, unplug HDMI and plug in again to get the HDMI monitor working).

This makes me think that this is not an issue with the OpenCore configuration, ACPI or Kexts. It's probably some compatibility issue of the connections and the monitors. For those who are curious, the monitors are old: a Samsung SyncMaster 215TW connected with an HDMI to DVI cable on the HDMI port, and a Philips 200WS using a no-brand USB-C dongle (USB 2.0 ports, ethernet and HDMI) on the USB-C port and an HDMI to DVI converter and DVI cable.

So, I should probably count myself lucky that anything works at all. I still have to try how it behaves with my TV. I'll get back on that.

And my thanks to Zoclee for posting the EFI, I'm going to look into the keyboard backlight and light sensor as well.

Great to hear! :D
I really appreciate your work on the UX310ua !
It runs so good, i am going to use my hackintosh for my new software development study !
(dualbooted with windows 11 to be safe)

@Shinji3rd perfect
IMG_20220223_202853__01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back