Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

Thanks @jaymonkey for this guide! How can I check if my IGPU is it working?
Before injecting the platform id, just with INTEL INJECT, I saw both displays, HD4600 and GTX 1080 under system preferences/graphics displays. Now I only see the gtx 1080.
Thanks!
Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 18.05.05.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-06 at 18.05.42.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-06 at 18.06.30.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-06 at 18.06.42.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.3 MB · Views: 82
How can I check if my IGPU is it working? .. before injecting the platform id, just with INTEL INJECT, I saw both displays, HD4600 and GTX 1080 under system preferences/graphics displays. Now I only see the gtx 1080.

@nyoussefian,

You are using a headless IGPU PlatfromID (0x0412000B) so it is correct that the IGPU does not show up in System Information ->Graphics ... this is one of the ways you can tell that a headless PlatfromID has taken.

Your screen shots shows that Hackintool also confirms correct headless IGPU configuration.

As detailed in Note-5 of the section titled Headless IGPU Configuration in Chapter 4 you can look in your IOREG to ensure that the IGPU device tree is present .. but i think Hackintool uses this info as-well so i would say your good to go.

If you want to test IQS is woking on the IGPU then simply try viewing some JPG's directly in finder ...
If it works without any errors then it's a good indication that the headless IGPU is working correctly.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@nyoussefian,

You are using a headless IGPU PlatfromID (0x0412000B) so it is correct that the IGPU does not show up in System Information ->Graphics ... this is one of the ways you can tell that a headless PlatfromID has taken.

Your screen shots shows that Hackintool also confirms correct headless IGPU configuration.

As detailed in Note-5 of the section titled Headless IGPU Configuration in Chapter 4 you can look in your IOREG to ensure that the IGPU device tree is present .. but i think Hackintool uses this info as-well so i would say your good to go.

If you want to test IQS is woking on the IGPU then simply try viewing some JPG's directly in finder ...
If it works without any errors then it's a good indication that the headless IGPU is working correctly.

Cheers
Jay
THANKS SO MUCH!

jaymonkey

Hi,

I pointed out the edid in the message, it didn't help.
Then I checked it and found one error, one digit was missed, with the re-corrected edid the problem persists.

I think that the edid directive does not solve the problem.

I pointed out the edid in the message, it didn't help.
Then I checked it and found one error, one digit was missed, with the re-corrected edid the problem persists.

I think that the edid directive does not solve the problem.

@toshax,

I still believe that the issue is related to monitor timings...
Have you tried SwitchResX again, this time with the injected EDID ?

If your monitor has a input info option on the built-in on-screen-display try comparing the input values in windows to what you see in MacOS ... it might give you a clue ...

Other than the above i'm out of idea's ..

Cheers
Jay

I have enabled IGPU in BIOS and using a RX 570 in a headless way with SMBIOS 19,1. Everything works like mp4 (264/265) and jpeg play in finder activity monitor for GPU History shows activity but the IGPU intel 630 is not used, it is not shown in this GPU history window. videoproc enables only HEVC but not 264 hardware acceleration. What is happening? When I had no rx 570 and only using IGPU everything thing worked without any problem.

I have enabled IGPU in BIOS and using a RX 570 in a headless way with SMBIOS 19,1. Everything works like mp4 (264/265) and jpeg play in finder activity monitor for GPU History shows activity but the IGPU intel 630 is not used, it is not shown in this GPU history window. videoproc enables only HEVC but not 264 hardware acceleration. What is happening? When I had no rx 570 and only using IGPU everything thing worked without any problem.

@Rajkhand,

Thats quite normal, when IGPU is configured as headless it will not show up in System Info - Graphics and can no longer be monitored by Activity Monitor -> GPU History.

VideoProc is not a good tool to use to diagnose encode/decode features .. it's a bit random in its reporting features especially in a dual GPU system, has been for a long time now, i don't know why so many people think otherwise.

As long as IGPU shows up in the IOREG (can also be confirmed by Hackintool -> Info -> System -> IGPU) then everything should be good. IQS function can be confirmed by playing video and viewing jpgs in Finder if it works with error then your good to go.

The only tool i've found that shows activity on the IGPU is iStat Menus, which will show memory utilisation when it's active.
In most headless configurations IGPU frequency will be pegged at max clock rate ... again this is normal.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey

Thanks for your comprehensive work with the plug-ins. Hard for me to get my head around the new plug-ins and kexts — the last time I attempted a Hackintosh was with Snow Leopard on a 2500k, and I still was confused at points.

I'm wrestling with a fresh Catalina install and I'm going to attempt a fresh install later this weekend, but I wanted to clarify something before I do. Hackintool is new to me — does it replace the former MultiBeast process? And how does config editing fit with this process?

I wanted to clarify something before I do. Hackintool is new to me — does it replace the former MultiBeast process? And how does config editing fit with this process?

@itswillo,

Hackintool is a post install utility that can help with a number of things such as creating IGPU and Codec patches which can then be used in conjunction with Lilu plugs-ins, it can also help with USB port patching and can display low level information about your system which can help in debugging, it is not a replacement for Multibeast.

I not a fan of Multibeast as in my experience it causes more harm than good, multibeats is really just a bunch of 3rd party kexts and patches in a package installer ... i prefer to download kexts directly from a developers repo and install/configure them myself. Hackintool can automate the downloading of source code and compiling of 3rd party kexts which can help those people who have not worked with xcode but who want to use the very latest kexts when no binary yet exists.

Config editing is the process of configuring the boot loader (Clover or OpenCore) ... Clover has been around for quite a long time, is stable and well understood where as OpenCore is the new kid on the boot loader block but promises to simplify things in the long run. Hackintool can help with applying specific patches to the config file as long as your system meets some basic requirements, personally i like to edit the config file directly rather than using 3rd party tools, that way your in control of the code changes.

If your new to all of this then there are well written guides on TMx86 which you should read (more than once in some cases) so you get a good understanding of the various methods before diving in at the deep end.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey, I noticed in this thread "SBUS" being used. In the hunt for getting my name changes down to zero I've been trying out this (attached) AML that's supposed to do it. With the name change I get SATA in IOReg and with the SSDT I get SBUS. SBUS is already there.

EDIT: Actually it seems as if SBUS appears below and the two SATA drives are under PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/pci8086,a282@17.

Is this how it should be?

Attachments

• SSDT-SATA.aml
    167 bytes · Views: 109
  • Michael’s iMac.ioreg
    7 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Back