Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Airdrop Ok - Handoff Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
@UtterDisbelief So, my IORegistry was somehow damaged, but I still had IOJones from way back:

Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 4.43.20 PM.png

Looks like it's not being recognized. :( Could that be related to the cable problem?

@UtterDisbelief So, my IORegistry was somehow damaged, but I still had IOJones from way back:

View attachment 559550

Looks like it's not being recognized. :( Could that be related to the cable problem?

Yes, it might be. I just edited my post above to take into account that fly-lead on the M.2 adapter. The Plex server in your screengrab is certainly NOT the Bluetooth.

I think it might be a good idea to take the side off the PC and check where that fly-lead goes to. It is probably a header along the bottom edge of the motherboard.

... I say the above because I was in error earlier. My own Broadcom wireless card fits into an adapter for the motherboard slot, that incorporates the necessary USB connection without a fly-lead. I'm not using it currently for my build but have it in my parts box. At the point of my advice I didn't realise the kind of adapter you were using. Sorry.

... I say the above because I was in error earlier. My own Broadcom wireless card fits into an adapter for the motherboard slot, that incorporates the necessary USB connection without a fly-lead. I'm not using it currently for my build but have it in my parts box. At the point of my advice I didn't realise the kind of adapter you were using. Sorry.
Yeah, my FIL seemed unsure of exactly where to plug up... I think he thinks it was a power cable. I need to locate exactly where the USB header connection is on the MB, so I can plug it up in the proper place (if, indeed, that is what I am supposed to do).

Thanks!

The twin USB 2 Header is located on the right hand side of your motherboard in line with the PCIe x16 slot. You will probably have to remove the RX 580 to attach the 9-pin cable plug to the header. See page 4 of the motherboard manual linked below.

Question. Is the M.2 connector you have used for the WiFi/BT adapter and card the correct type for this card?

If it is a connector for an M.2 drive this might also be part of the issue.

Your small format motherboard is unlikely to contain 2 x M.2 connectors suitable for WiFi/BT cards. The exposed M.2 connector is likely to be. ‘Socket 3’ connector that is meant for use with an OS/Data drive. While the covered/hidden CNVI connector holding the Intel card is likely to be a ‘Socket 1’ type connector, which is used for WiFi/BT cards etc. See the guide below for a fuller explanation of the three different (main) M.2 socket types.

You seem to be using a 2280 style adapter, so which slot is it in? My guess is the front one, so ...

You need to check SATA allocation too. See page 17 of the manual because the front-side m.2 socket has shared bandwidth with the SATA3,1 socket. So make sure the SATA port is empty if using that one.

Last edited:
The twin USB 2 Header is located on the right hand side of your motherboard in line with the PCIe x16 slot. You will probably have to remove the RX 580 to attach the 9-pin cable plug to the header. See page 4 of the motherboard manual linked below.

Question. Is the M.2 connector you have used for the WiFi/BT adapter and card the correct type for this card?

If it is a connector for an M.2 drive this might also be part of the issue.

Your small format motherboard is unlikely to contain 2 x M.2 connectors suitable for WiFi/BT cards. The exposed M.2 connector is likely to be. ‘Socket 3’ connector that is meant for use with an OS/Data drive. While the covered/hidden CNVI connector holding the Intel card is likely to be a ‘Socket 1’ type connector, which is used for WiFi/BT cards etc. See the guide below for a fuller explanation of the three different (main) M.2 socket types.

@Edhawk @UtterDisbelief Thanks, as always, guys. I'm going to open up the box later today, but given the location of the USB header, I'm pretty sure my FIL got it right. The adapter I bought was listed on eBay as specifically for the BCM94360, so I'm pretty sure I got that much right. But, yes, I went back to the manual and confirmed the open M.2 slot is, indeed, Socket 3, so — I'm probably S*** out of luck.

UttterDisbelief said:
You seem to be using a 2280 style adapter, so which slot is it in? My guess is the front one, so ...

You need to check SATA allocation too. See page 17 of the manual because the front-side m.2 socket has shared bandwidth with the SATA3,1 socket. So make sure the SATA port is empty if using that one.

I am, indeed, using the front M.2 (the only one open at this point), so there may be something to that, but with three internal drives, I'm pretty sure I'm using every available SATA port. But, like I said, I'll triple check that when I open it up after lunch.

I really appreciate all of the assistance you've provided. Assuming the issue is the incompatibility of the slot/socket, I'll just throw BlueToolFixup.kext back in and take the win with Airdrop — for now, anyway. That's the feature I was really missing. Handoff and Continuity are nice, but having to email photos and files to myself every time was becoming a pain. Taking apart the entire computer just to get that encased WiFi card out is not a project I'm feeling very festive about at this time... LOL!

I'll let you know.

Last edited:
@Edhawk @UtterDisbelief

Well, I should've left well enough alone, but I got greedy. Airpdrop was working fine. Then I had to go and fiddle. So, here's the deal: the cable from the adapter was NOT hooked to the USB header, which I located easily enough thanks your assistance. The bad news is that the connector that came with the adapter was just slightly too large for the header. Just wouldn't go on... it was over stressing the side clips.

Do you guys know if there is an adapter or anything I could get to get it to connect? I can't believe there isn't a standard for this sort of thing. Wait. Yes, I can.

In any case, I then tried popping BlueToolFixup.kext back in to get back to where I was before, but on reboot, nothing. Bluetooth still showing null. So, I opened it back up, pulled out the card/adapter combo altogether, put the three original kexts back in, deleted the Networkinterfaces.plist, added the WiFi Service back in, and deleted 10/100/1000 LAN WiFi, rebooted, and now I'm back to where I started before I tried to install the Broadcom. Sigh.

The good news is I really believe I legit have the most accurate USB Map possible, so that's a positive. But I'm really hoping there may be an adapter to Connect the Broadcom to the USB header? Or a different cable? I'm not even sure that would help, though, because I forgot about my. Windows drive (hey, it happens), so I've got 4 internal drives, so all the SATA ports are in use. Photos below.

Thanks again for all of your help, I greatly appreciate it.

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

@Edhawk @UtterDisbelief

Well, I should've left well enough alone, but I got greedy. Airpdrop was working fine. Then I had to go and fiddle. So, here's the deal: the cable from the adapter was NOT hooked to the USB header, which I located easily enough thanks your assistance. The bad news is that the connector that came with the adapter was just slightly too large for the header. Just wouldn't go on... it was over stressing the side clips.

Do you guys know if there is an adapter or anything I could get to get it to connect? I can't believe there isn't a standard for this sort of thing. Wait. Yes, I can.

In any case, I then tried popping BlueToolFixup.kext back in to get back to where I was before, but on reboot, nothing. Bluetooth still showing null. So, I opened it back up, pulled out the card/adapter combo altogether, put the three original kexts back in, deleted the Networkinterfaces.plist, added the WiFi Service back in, and deleted 10/100/1000 LAN WiFi, rebooted, and now I'm back to where I started before I tried to install the Broadcom. Sigh.

The good news is I really believe I legit have the most accurate USB Map possible, so that's a positive. But I'm really hoping there may be an adapter to Connect the Broadcom to the USB header? Or a different cable? I'm not even sure that would help, though, because I forgot about my. Windows drive (hey, it happens), so I've got 4 internal drives, so all the SATA ports are in use. Photos below.

Thanks again for all of your help, I greatly appreciate it.

View attachment 559805
View attachment 559806

View attachment 559808
View attachment 559809

Hi there.

Right ... That forward-facing connector is non-standard. It carries 4x USB2 ports on a "hub". I'm not sure that the plug you have connected to it is even electrically compatible.

Even with the "Y"-shaped adapter included by Gigabyte in the box, this is not a recommended place to connect a BT cable to. In theory you can connect to one of the four ports but the reality is that sleep would never work properly. Even if you disable the other 3x ports with your USBPorts.kext, the "hub" will still be active and interfere.

So where to connect the 9-pin BT socket? Well these ITX motherboards are tricky. As explained the hub carries 4x USB2 ports. There's also a 20-pin USB3 header for 2x front-case USB3 ports and a single USB-C 3.2 header with a new-style connector. Those are the only choices ... unless you take a lead out the back of the case and into one of the USB2 back-panel ports.

Too much hassle. That's why I agree it's a better idea to go back to the Intel chip which at least interfaces with it's own internal USB port for BT use.

My opinion only, of course. Go with what you're happiest with. :thumbup:

…unless you take a lead out the back of the case and into one of the USB2 back-panel ports.
That would work? I’m not opposed to this. For what kind of cable would I need to search?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back