Contribute
Register

10.8.3: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx Graphics Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got things working on my friend's ASROCK Z77 Extreme4 and a Sapphire 7950 using the fb-rotate and adding the AtiConfig(futomaki) and AtiPort(4) settings to the the chameleon boot settings. Have to wait like 10-12 seconds before the login screen pops up but it works for now.

I used the Tonymac Unibeast ML guide in combination with

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3777028/2013 Hackintosh/v1.2.0.html

and

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-p67a-d3-b3-rev2-0-i5-3570-his-hd-7850-a.html

Does not go to sleep for some reason but it'll do for now. I'll keep an update if I make any changes.

@tubbies
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe GE=no means that your bootloader is not injecting graphics card info so the OSX is reading it by itself. There is no for sure guaranteed way to make it work without the sleeptrick. If FB rotate doesn't work then you may just have to live with the sleep trick. Somehow mine doesn't need the sleep trick if I enable IGFX and set it as primary in my bios although this is not what was recommended for gigabyte boards (which I have) that is what worked for me.
Thanks for the reply, studdmufin.
With GE=No I get no video acceleration.
Curiously, after some fiddling around trying to automate sleep-wake to no success, I can get boot straight into the system just by selecting the PCI card as first init display (which I couldn't previously) without the need of sleep/rotation trick.
But now everything runs rather slow. For example, things would stutter when bringing out Mission Control, which wasn't the case when using the sleep trick.
OSX still detects a secondary display even though I unplugged the display from the PCI card. I suspect this might be the cause of the slow down, but I have yet to find a solution to disable this, even after trying SwitchResX.

I, too, have a Gigabyte board, but it doesn't support UEFI and I don't have on board graphics on it, so the closest attempt is using an old PCI card.
But may I know the reason why such method isn't recommended? It seems to be the simplest work around.
Also, does your "secondary display" remain active in SysPref and mouse cursor could go offscreen?

Well I finally got booted into 10.8.4 and it recognizes both of my 7970s.

HOWEVER, this is only when I boot into the "Mountain Lion" part of my USB thumbdrive :(

If I try to boot into my SSD installation, I get the dreaded black screen with strange gibberish text. Can anybody help me here? I feel like I'm soooo close!

Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD5H
i5 3570K
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD

does anyone know how to keep my BIOS settings from changing after I restart my computer? I set them to the suggested AMD settings and after a restart they revert to defaults.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-10 at 7.38.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-10 at 7.38.14 PM.png
    128.7 KB · Views: 205
  • Screen Shot 2013-06-10 at 7.38.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-10 at 7.38.02 PM.png
    184.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
I got the solution that works for me.

First, my setup:
- Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH rev 1.0
- Intel Core i7 3770k
- 32 GB RAM DDR3 1600
- SSD Samsung 840 120 GB
- Gigabyte Radeon HD 7770 1 GB
- Apple Cinema Display LED 27"
- OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.4

I installed 10.8.3 using Unibeast and Multibeast standard options for HD4000. My 7770 was not installed. Updated to 10.8.4 via software update.

After that, installed Clover v2 r1835. Remember to boot from UEFI.

I could boot, but got the infamous white screen that needed the sleep trick.

Solution: changed the following BIOS setting:
BIOS Features->CSM Support: Never

I also disabled the internal HD 4000 graphics and set primary video to PCE.

During boot, I can't see Gigabyte's logo, but it boots straight to OS X, no sleep trick or white screen!

I hope it helps.

Wait, so when you installed Mountain Lion you used UEFI instead of Legacy? I've read several suggestions on here directly from Tonymac that OS X will not boot from a UEFI disk? Is this not true?

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, so when you installed Mountain Lion you used UEFI instead of Legacy? I've read several suggestions on here directly from Tonymac that OS X will not boot from a UEFI disk? Is this not true?

Exactly. I booted from a UEFI partition and no sleep trick or screen rotation were necessary. I even see a "disk" called EFI in Finder.

Just to make things clear: I installed using the usual Unibeast + Multibeast method. I installed Clover after the system was up and running with HD 4000 and my Radeon 7770 was unplugged. Only after the system was fully configured and stable I installed Clover and changed those settings that I mentioned at BIOS.

Benchmarks (i7 @ 4.9 GHz cooled by Corsair H110):

Cinebench:
- OpenGL: 65.49 fps
- CPU: 9.93 pt

Geekbench:

Idle temp:
- 30C

Max temp (Prime95):
- 89C

Exactly. I booted from a UEFI partition and no sleep trick or screen rotation were necessary. I even see a "disk" called EFI in Finder.

Because you boot with clover, in your config.plist set MountEFI=No if you don't want to see it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back