Contribute
Register

10.8.3: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx Graphics Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use gigabyte HD 7950 (I think it is not reference design) and it works great so far as described. I can boot with ATI first and get the white screen or I boot with IGFX and have the problem to boot blind.
Because I use a dual boot system with Windows 8 for me it would be perfect if we can find a solution to boot without white screen AND also have a visible bootloader. But so far I found no solution for this.

Your framebuffer looks to be the generic one (terminal says ATY,RadeonFrameBuffer, which is the generic one), meaning you probably aren't getting full QE/CI (is DVD Player crashing?). You aren't using Chutoro, so your AtiConfig line isn't doing anything. On the bright side, it means you could hack together a driver to make it work if none of the default framebuffers do it for you.

What model exactly is your 7770? As in, which sapphire ghz edition (since they have a few variations)?

The HD 4000 only shows up at all under OS X if it is set specifically as your primary video device in the UEFI/BIOS, and is also set to enabled (on non-gigabyte boards) or disabled (on gigabyte boards).

I'm not sure about the artifacts, but what is the device ID and vendor ID of your card?
I'd like to add it to the list of working cards in the second link of my signature, if that's alright by you.

It´s a ATI (0x1002) ID:0x6789 <version id: 0x0000
gram 3027 mb, AMS Radeon HD 7xxx

that´s what is written in the systemprofiler under mac os.
Add it ! :)

I got strong artefacts in un. valley and heaven with anti aliasing activated, no game to test yet....
Also tried to add a second monitor, which worked, but then I synchronised those ( not same resolution) and now stuck there....should I reboot the cache ? ( would that effect my osx ?!)

My Sapphire HD7770 model is http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1159&pid=1452&psn=&lid=1&leg=0#

And yes, forgot about DVD player. Player work if I boot with Graphicsenabler=no, but if I add AtiConfig=Chutoro,Buri,Aji,Dashimaki not work. So as you said AtiConfig=Chutoro do nothing...
Thanks!
Chimera doesn't support the HD 7000 series, so just use GraphicsEnabler=No (a.k.a. you don't need a GraphicsEnabler line at all). Since it works with Graphicsenabler=No, that means OS X is running it natively. Sure it's using the generic FrameBuffer, but if you're able to open DVD Player without it crashing then you have a totally usable system.

The only thing that could happen in the future is that, if we eventually did need to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes, performance would go up. For the time being, though, just leave GraphicsEnabler=No alone, unless you need to use Intel HD Graphics. In this case, just use GraphicsEnabler=Yes without the AtiConfig line.

I use gigabyte HD 7950 (I think it is not reference design) and it works great so far as described. I can boot with ATI first and get the white screen or I boot with IGFX and have the problem to boot blind.
Because I use a dual boot system with Windows 8 for me it would be perfect if we can find a solution to boot without white screen AND also have a visible bootloader. But so far I found no solution for this.
Until Chameleon/Chimera totally supports the Radeon HD 7000 series, there won't really be a fix for this...
If you've got a second monitor you can use, plug it into the HD Graphics and you will have a boot screen with no white screen issue.

Also, could you kindly post your model of graphics card and its device IDs in the second link in my signature? I'm trying to keep a log of all working cards, and I don't have a gigabyte 7950 listed.

It´s a ATI (0x1002) ID:0x6789 <version id: 0x0000
gram 3027 mb, AMS Radeon HD 7xxx

that´s what is written in the systemprofiler under mac os.
Add it ! :)

I got strong artefacts in un. valley and heaven with anti aliasing activated, no game to test yet....
Also tried to add a second monitor, which worked, but then I synchronised those ( not same resolution) and now stuck there....should I reboot the cache ? ( would that effect my osx ?!)
Thanks!

Have you tried setting your monitors to extended mode (i.e. not mirrored mode) in System Preferences --> Displays?

Until Chameleon/Chimera totally supports the Radeon HD 7000 series, there won't really be a fix for this...
If you've got a second monitor you can use, plug it into the HD Graphics and you will have a boot screen with no white screen issue.

Also, could you kindly post your model of graphics card and its device IDs in the second link in my signature? I'm trying to keep a log of all working cards, and I don't have a gigabyte 7950 listed.

I added the Information to your list. Good idea by the way!
A secon monitor is no option for me. I think one 27" is enough ;-)
If you need more infos please ask.

Extended mode, no such option when there is just one monitor connected......
with the second one, can´t do nothing.

the 1. was on 2560x1440 and the second a full hd one....don´t need the 2. but I wanna fix this, cause it worked before.( tried DVI, HDMI and DP-dviadapter, both work but right now same problem )

Francesco85, check your PMs. I don't think this issue is related to getting HD 7000 series working on 10.8.3 anymore.

I'm using a MSI Z77A-GD65 with an XFX 7950 graphics card. I can't boot with Chimera because I get the boot0 screen, however, with clover I can. Switching to the clover bootloader allows me to get to the actual boot screen. I still can't seem to get to the desktop however (on the discrete card). If I enable both the discrete and integrated graphics, with the integrated set first, it only boots to the integrated graphics. If I disable integrated graphics, it boots but then goes to a full grey then black screen. If I enable both with the discrete set to boot first, the system doesn't boot and just hangs (nothing abnormal with -v). The computer seems to be picking up the graphics card:

AMD Radeon HD 7950 Series:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 7950 Series
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 3072 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x679a
Revision ID: 0x0000
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.3180

Are there any suggestions on what to do here?

Thanks,
Vince

Im running an intel DZ77GA-70k and an HD7770 and just managed tog et it working pretty great. The BIOS settings are different from the gigabyte boards so it took a lot of testing but holy ****. I cant believe I did it. Thank you guys for all your help. I wonder if its possible to Boot without two monitors?

I'm using a MSI Z77A-GD65 with an XFX 7950 graphics card. I can't boot with Chimera because I get the boot0 screen, however, with clover I can. Switching to the clover bootloader allows me to get to the actual boot screen. I still can't seem to get to the desktop however (on the discrete card). If I enable both the discrete and integrated graphics, with the integrated set first, it only boots to the integrated graphics. If I disable integrated graphics, it boots but then goes to a full grey then black screen. If I enable both with the discrete set to boot first, the system doesn't boot and just hangs (nothing abnormal with -v). The computer seems to be picking up the graphics card:

AMD Radeon HD 7950 Series:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 7950 Series
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 3072 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x679a
Revision ID: 0x0000
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.3180

Are there any suggestions on what to do here?

Thanks,
Vince
The boot0 screen is remedied simply by setting the integrated graphics as primary in your UEFI/BIOS settings, as well as "Enabled" somewhere in there, too (since you don't have a Gigabyte board).

When you are booting, it should only boot to the integrated graphics, so you should be seeing all the normal boot stuff on whatever display you have connected to the integrated GPU. The 7950 doesn't get detected/enabled until the login screen, and then it should work.

Im running an intel DZ77GA-70k and an HD7770 and just managed tog et it working pretty great. The BIOS settings are different from the gigabyte boards so it took a lot of testing but holy ****. I cant believe I did it. Thank you guys for all your help. I wonder if its possible to Boot without two monitors?

Hi there, fellow Intel DZ77GA-board based user! :thumbup: (I wish you'd mentioned that sooner; we have exactly the same UEFI/BIOS configuration!)

You can boot without 2 monitors just fine--just don't change the UEFI settings and simply unplug the HD Graphics monitor!

Could you post your graphics card model number and device ID in the second link in my signature (unless it's a Gigabyte card I've already listed)?

Just booted straight to my OSx without the use of intel HD4000, I expected not to see Chimaera but for some reason I couldn't see my bios either. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back