Contribute
Register

10.8.3: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx Graphics Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what is the workaround to boot without MBR Stick ?
Thats my result with the 7970 ghz

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2013-03-17 um 17.36.45.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2013-03-17 um 17.36.45.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 525
Hello,
Im using sapphire HD7770 ghz edition without problem. My steps are>

unibeast osx 10.8 USB - Graphicsenabler=no
combo 10.8.3
multi beast 5.2.1
chimera 2.01

My bios is patched and using DSDT/SSDT. Boot with Graphicsenabler=no AtiConfig=Chutoro and sleep trick to solve white screen. Everything work for now, final cut also. The only thing that bothers me is that I do not see the name of the frame buffer that is loaded. It is obvious that a framebuffer loaded but which one, is it true or not: D Can somebody please answer this question?

Attachments

• Untitled.tiff
    760.6 KB · Views: 857
  • fc rpo.tiff
    1.1 MB · Views: 632
So what is the workaround to boot without MBR Stick ?
Thats my result with the 7970 ghz
Set the Intel HD Graphics as the primary video device in your UEFI/BIOS, and boot with both the Radeon and the integrated cards enabled (unless you're on a Gigabyte board as per the OP--in this case you need to set the integrated to Disabled for some reason while keeping it set as primary). The mbr workaround only works if you can use both graphics options at once.

MBR works with this options set in EFI ( ga z77 ds3h) but only with GraphicsEnabler=No and the "sleep trick". Intel HD4000 won´t show up in Systempref, just the 7970, except the last time I booted with one monitor internal hdmi and the other one on the 7970.

it´s a sapphire vapor.x 7970 3gb

Could not use AntiAliasing with un. valley benchmark, got artefacts !?

edit.LuxMark v2
Scene Sala, GPU 1964
GPU+CPU(i7 [email protected] ghz) 2446

Hello,
Im using sapphire HD7770 ghz edition without problem. My steps are>

unibeast osx 10.8 USB - Graphicsenabler=no
combo 10.8.3
multi beast 5.2.1
chimera 2.01

My bios is patched and using DSDT/SSDT. Boot with Graphicsenabler=no AtiConfig=Chutoro and sleep trick to solve white screen. Everything work for now, final cut also. The only thing that bothers me is that I do not see the name of the frame buffer that is loaded. It is obvious that a framebuffer loaded but which one, is it true or not: D Can somebody please answer this question?
Your framebuffer looks to be the generic one (terminal says ATY,RadeonFrameBuffer, which is the generic one), meaning you probably aren't getting full QE/CI (is DVD Player crashing?). You aren't using Chutoro, so your AtiConfig line isn't doing anything. On the bright side, it means you could hack together a driver to make it work if none of the default framebuffers do it for you.

What model exactly is your 7770? As in, which sapphire ghz edition (since they have a few variations)?

MBR works with this options set in EFI ( ga z77 ds3h) but only with GraphicsEnabler=No and the "sleep trick". Intel HD4000 won´t show up in Systempref, just the 7970, except the last time I booted with one monitor internal hdmi and the other one on the 7970.

it´s a sapphire vapor.x 7970 3gb

Could not use AntiAliasing with un. valley benchmark, got artefacts !?

edit.LuxMark v2
Scene Sala, GPU 1964
GPU+CPU(i7 [email protected] ghz) 2446
The HD 4000 only shows up at all under OS X if it is set specifically as your primary video device in the UEFI/BIOS, and is also set to enabled (on non-gigabyte boards) or disabled (on gigabyte boards).

I'm not sure about the artifacts, but what is the device ID and vendor ID of your card?
I'd like to add it to the list of working cards in the second link of my signature, if that's alright by you.

Your framebuffer looks to be the generic one (terminal says ATY,RadeonFrameBuffer, which is the generic one), meaning you probably aren't getting full QE/CI (is DVD Player crashing?). You aren't using Chutoro, so your AtiConfig line isn't doing anything. On the bright side, it means you could hack together a driver to make it work if none of the default framebuffers do it for you.

What model exactly is your 7770? As in, which sapphire ghz edition (since they have a few variations)?

The HD 4000 only shows up at all under OS X if it is set specifically as your primary video device in the UEFI/BIOS, and is also set to enabled (on non-gigabyte boards) or disabled (on gigabyte boards).

I'm not sure about the artifacts, but what is the device ID and vendor ID of your card?
I'd like to add it to the list of working cards in the second link of my signature, if that's alright by you.

I don't have time to try to test my 7970 GHz, but is there a critical difference between his 3GB and my 6GB? I'm not too knowledgable about these types of things. I'll be sure to test mine soon though. I'll do it Tuesday night most likely and report back.

Potentially, yes. The 6GB model must have a modified PCB to fit the additional 3GB vRAM. Apple drivers historically favor true-to-AMD specification boards (the "reference boards"), so, in the case of 7970s and 7950s, for example, anything other than a card with 3GB vRAM, 2x MiniDisplayPorts, 1 HDMI port, and 1 DVI port is basically hit or miss. Clock speeds don't factor in at all, so they can be stock overclocked reference cards and still work. If your 6GB works, that would be phenomenal, but if it doesn't, there isn't much we can do unless you want to build your own driver from scratch.

On the other hand, even if it doesn't work, that's still one beast of a card you've got there. :D

Ah I could only hope it works. If not this would be my second crappy card in terms of hackintoshing. My first was the dreaded 5830. Other than it might not working in OS X it runs my 4800x1200 resolution phenomenally. Battlefield 3 across 3 screens is a piece of gaming heaven :D

If it doesn't work then I'll go ask on the Netkas forums and see if someone can throw together a modified driver. My hope is that it can easily be made to work if it doesn't. If not then I can go bother the Apple forums and email some engineers or something to add support.

Attachments

• HD7770.JPG
    HD7770.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 647
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back