Contribute
Register

10.8.3: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx Graphics Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Wundorn, for the great response. I'm going to work through everything you suggested and post back my findings. I REALLY appreciate the thought you put into this.

Did you ever get a chance to try any of the things I suggested? http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...xx-graphics-testing-thread-27.html#post580654

How about anyone else? Got output from fb-rotate -i? Tried a resolution change instead of rotation to fix the white screen? Had trouble with the plist and looked at debug output?

If my code change works, it should save time on the rotations when booting. Anyone have a dev environment who's willing to try this?

I can't help with this if nobody's willing to test...

In this case I would recommend the following:

1) Boot up using Unibeast as you have been able to.
2) Run Terminal from Unibeast. Then disable your 7000 driver on your hard drive. Assuming your hard drive is named OSX:

Code:
mkdir /Volumes/OSX/ati_backup
mv /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions/ATI7000Controller.kext /Volumes/OSX/ati_backup/

Make sure to swap out "OSX" with the real name of your hard drive if different. Hopefully there are no spaces in your drive name, as that will also cause problems with the commands I listed (so you may have to further adjust).

3) So now when you boot off your hard drive with the flags it should come up in VESA mode (low res graphics). You will need to use this boot flag to make sure it doesn't use the 7000 driver from your kextcache:

Code:
UseKernelCache=No

From here you can install whatever is necessary to get your particular motherboard to sleep. Or, if you already had sleep working, just make sure "Allow power button to put the computer to sleep" is checked in Energy Saver. I had to install a DSDT for my motherboard with sleep tweaks in place and also install the SleepEnabler kext linked to in my build.

4) Now you need to re-enable your 7000 driver by doing this:

Code:
cp -r /ati_backup/ATI7000Controller.kext ~/Desktop/

5) Run Kextbeast

6) Reboot and when it comes to the white or black screen, hit the power button and wait for it to go to sleep. It may take up to 2 minutes. Then hit the power button again to wake it up.

If above process doesn't work, it means your sleep is not working. Go back to step 1 and start over; then figure out why sleep isn't working and complete process. Note that it may not sleep at all in VESA mode; so you can't really test it until you install the driver.

If you have a spare video card; get sleep working with that first, then swap cards.

got a little stuck again. i can boot and get to the os in VESA mode. when i test sleep it works as it should and is enabled in the energy saver. but it wont work when booting with the ati7000controller at the white screen, i have tried installing sleepenabler.kext which has made no difference, any ideas what to try to get this working?dsdt edit?

got a little stuck again. i can boot and get to the os in VESA mode. when i test sleep it works as it should and is enabled in the energy saver. but it wont work when booting with the ati7000controller at the white screen, i have tried installing sleepenabler.kext which has made no difference, any ideas what to try to get this working?dsdt edit?

When you hit the power button, does it go to sleep but not wake? Does it just not go to sleep?

On thing to note: It can take like 2 or 3 minutes sometimes to go to sleep...so be patient after hitting the power button. Early in my testing I didn't realize this and probably thought it had failed when it did not. Wake is fast...and sleep once fully running is fast. It's just that first sleep that can be slow.

Did you ever get a chance to try any of the things I suggested? http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...xx-graphics-testing-thread-27.html#post580654

How about anyone else? Got output from fb-rotate -i? Tried a resolution change instead of rotation to fix the white screen? Had trouble with the plist and looked at debug output?

If my code change works, it should save time on the rotations when booting. Anyone have a dev environment who's willing to try this?

I can't help with this if nobody's willing to test...

Sorry Wundorn! I haven't forgotten you. I've been experimenting with different procedures based on what you outlined. The difficulty for me is the point in the boot process where it "stops" varies depending on configuration. So sometimes it never gets to the "login" part of the boot. Which means I don't believe it will ever run the startup scripts.

I would definitely prefer to have a method that doesn't involve sleep; as sleep can be tricky (and slow at times). So your method is the best; but I can't get it to work consistently. I haven't given up yet. When I have more time I'll likely post more on this.

When you hit the power button, does it go to sleep but not wake? Does it just not go to sleep?

On thing to note: It can take like 2 or 3 minutes sometimes to go to sleep...so be patient after hitting the power button. Early in my testing I didn't realize this and probably thought it had failed when it did not. Wake is fast...and sleep once fully running is fast. It's just that first sleep that can be slow.

regarding first sleep taking long, does the Power LED go OFF when the Hackintosh sleeps?? I'm experiencing the same problem with my sapphire 7950. The computer would goto sleep with HDD LED flickering for 10-20 seconds but power LED stays lit. I've waited more than 5-7 mins but my Hack won't WAKE back.

i have hit the power button and waited for about 15mins and nothing, a couple of times it went to a black screen but in never went completly to sleep and wouldnt wake at all. it works fine when logged in following your steps to get in vesa mode

Are any of you having sleep problems running the new Chimera with FileNVRAM.dylib in /Extra/modules?

If so, this can cause this sort of problem with sleep. Move that file out of there and reboot. It is needed for authenticating Messages; but once you have authenticated once it seems to work for a while before you need to again.

Also, make sure you have everything installed that others with your same motherboard need to sleep. Like the sleepenabler kext and DSDT mods if necessary.

Hey guys!

I'm running a 7950 with a Gigabyte UP5-TH. Everything works awesome (thanks in large part to MK500's guide). HOWEVER, my one issue is when I boot up, after the chimera boot screen, I get stuck at a white screen. Putting my tower to sleep with the power button and then waking it up will present me at the login prompt screen, however I'd like to just boot directly from chimera to the login screen - is there any known fix for this need to sleep before getting to the login menu?

Thanks!

Hey guys!

I'm running a 7950 with a Gigabyte UP5-TH. Everything works awesome (thanks in large part to MK500's guide). HOWEVER, my one issue is when I boot up, after the chimera boot screen, I get stuck at a white screen. Putting my tower to sleep with the power button and then waking it up will present me at the login prompt screen, however I'd like to just boot directly from chimera to the login screen - is there any known fix for this need to sleep before getting to the login menu?

Thanks!

seems only the fb- rotate script some people have working, havent myself. its just a script the runs and rotates your screen 90degs and back 90degs has the same effect as the sleep trick. im sure people on here are working on a better solution, just have to be patient

i wish mine would sleep and wake again!!!LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back