Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

I am building a Mojave machine based on the b660 DS3H - the cheapest board with Titan Ridge support in europe. But i can't figure out the USB 3 functionality in 10.14 - this board has a very simple layout with 6 USB 2, 1 USB 3.2, a USB 3.0 header, 1 USB C onboard working at 3.2 and another one with header (my case is only 3.1 capable on this)

USB 3 and 3.2 ports work in Monterey, but not mojave. I tried the latest InjectAll 0.7.8 with xhciportlimit quirk enabled but all port just work at 2.0 speed

This is the efi folder i'm starting from - i have gone through a lot more iterations after it but still no success

Last edited:
BT and USB Audio problem: a work-around.

I recently noticed a BT-USB Audio problem with the Z690 ROG Maximus Extreme mobo. Maybe this is only applicable to the this mobo, but it could afflict other Z690s mobos.

There are 2 setups that will potentially create this problem: using a PCIe Wifi/BT AIC and using a USB audio device.

The issue was that when I used my Airbook laptop to share a file with the Z690 via AirDrop, the USB audio on the Z690 cut out. In fact, as soon as I opened the lid of the laptop, the audio on the Z690 cut out. Strange.

AirDrop requires BT and Wfi to work, so I began by turning off BT on the Z690. With BT off, when opening the laptop lid, audio did now, not cut out on the Z690. So BT was involved.

On looking at the USB map that I'd created, an answer was suggested: the SS02 USB device (shown in the image below), oddly powers both the internal USB-2 header (along with HS11), and many of the rear panel ports.

The problem arose, because I had by chance, plugged the USB audio device (in this case, an Antelope Zen Go USB audio interface) into one of the SS02 supplied ports. Once the USB audio interface USB cable was plugged into a non-SS02 supplied port, the whole problem went away and I could once more activate BT and use AirDrop without impacting audio.

If you've swapped the Wifi/BT card (it is only being supplied by HS14), or, you're not using a USB audio device, this whole BT-SS02 issue won't exist. But, there could be other non-audio USB problems arising from SS02 connections, so a heads-up.

There are still remaining questions: why is BT interacting through SS02 with other USB devices, and why is a USB-3 device connected to an internal USB-2 header?

ASUS-MaxExt-SS02-issues.png

Last edited:
I am building a Mojave machine based on the b660 DS3H - the cheapest board with Titan Ridge support in europe. But i can't figure out the USB 3 functionality in 10.14 - this board has a very simple layout with 6 USB 2, 1 USB 3.2, a USB 3.0 header, 1 USB C onboard working at 3.2 and another one with header (my case is only 3.1 capable on this)

USB 3 and 3.2 ports work in Monterey, but not mojave. I tried the latest InjectAll 0.7.8 with xhciportlimit quirk enabled but all port just work at 2.0 speed

This is the efi folder i'm starting from - i have gone through a lot more iterations after it but still no success

ASUS PRIME B660M-A WIFI D4 is better.

Hello,

Having now more than 10 years of Hackintosh, but today I am very desperate...

I built a Z690 AORUS MASTER computer with Core I7 12700K with GPU AMD RADEON RX580.
I always had Clover on the EFI with the old OSX but now with Monterey OPENCORE and more adapted.
I followed the OPENCORE guide to the letter but I still have the same Kernel panic.

If you can help me I will be very grateful, because I'm starting to accumulate a few sleepless nights for this problem...
Attached is my EFI and kernel panic.
Thank you very much.

Attachments

• PXL_20220422_210001727.jpg
    PXL_20220422_210001727.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • EFI.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 68
Hello,

I built a Z690 AORUS MASTER computer with Core I7 12700K with GPU AMD RADEON RX580.
I always had Clover on the EFI with the old OSX but now with Monterey OPENCORE and more adapted.
I followed the OPENCORE guide to the letter but I still have the same Kernel panic.

If you can help me I will be very grateful, because I'm starting to accumulate a few sleepless nights for this problem...
Thank you very much.
You need to add your Kext to your EFI. Its a bit of a change to get used to. If using OpenCore Configurator (some dont, I do myself) then you can drag and drop.

Also you might want to disable IOMapper for now. Hope that helps.

Lastly, add CPUFriend + CPUFriendDataProvider attached on this post #2,353
Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 5.37.16 PM.png

Last edited:
ASUS PRIME B660M-A WIFI D4 is better.

Asus Thunderbolt cards suck, they always did, I cannot trust them. Before it was possible to just use Gigabyte cards on Asus boards, but now they use another pinout.

I also tested both boards (and many others) and they both use the same amount of power under stress, winch really is the only thing i care about - vrm efficiency. Other cheap b660 from ASRock used more with lower scores.

Anyway this is not the point - I am looking to enable USB 3 on Mojave with B660 chipset, anyone have any idea how to solve?

I see you're using a EFI derived from my Asus Prime P D4 build. :)

Okay, you don't just need XHCIPortLimit enabled. You'll need these as well:

SSDT-AWAC.aml
SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml
SSDT-HPET.aml
SSDT-PLUG.aml
SSDT-UIAC.aml

along with the magic sauce - USBMapLegacy.kext which is designed for pre-Catalina OS USB maps. I built that at the same time as USBMap.kext and included it just in case. To use you must disable USBInjectAll.kext.

SSDT-DTPG and SSDT-TB3 or SSDT-TB3HP needs to be enabled for Thunderbolt functionality. HP stands for Hot Plug version.

I see you forgot to install IntelBluetoothInjector.kext and IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext for Bluetooth (which I have done). Enable these two for anything like from Mojave to Big Sur. Disable IntelBluetoothInjector and enable both IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext and Bluetoolfixup.kext if using Monterey (using an Intel BT card that is). If you are using a Broadcom card this fix will be somewhat different.

I've also added some values in the Device Properties section. Seeing that you are spoofing Coffee Lake in the CPUID section, ideally you should add the correct Coffee Lake IGPU values also. I use 00001259 and 12590000 which worked for me on a Comet Lake setup (booting from the Intel IGPU). If using an AMD card to boot it may be best to change the connector from 00 to 03 ie. 03590000. Device-id should stay the same ie. 12590000. I understand with the above details given it is a Z690/Alder Lake we are working with (the IGPU technically is unsupported) but give it a try nonetheless.

I also removed some of the SMBIOS details under your PlatformInfo section which didn't need to be there under Opencore, but the EFI should work for you as is. Give it a try.

Attachments

• OCb660mojave-monterey-2.zip
    11.6 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
SSDT-UIAC.aml
Can you say more about why you use this in concert with USBmap?

The reason I ask is because my recent research suggests that SSDT-UIAC is an older approach that predates USBmap, and that USBmap subsumes it. IOW one way or the other but not both. But maybe I missed a finer point?

Hello,

Thank you very much.
Okay easy31,

I had a look at your EFI. Looks like you missed a lot of info there, including the vital AppleALC, Lilu, Whatevergreen and VirtualSMC and SMCProcessor related kexts (which needed to be downloaded separately and added into the EFI/OC/Kexts folder from the Opencore Dortania guide). For stability reasons I have downgraded the OC to 0.7.8 (as OC 0.8.0 is still very new).

As your EFI was missing quite a bit of info I had to derive it from one of my existing working builds for the Asus Z690 Prime P D4. I've adjusted a number of things in the file to suit your Z690 Aorus Master board which includes the Aquantia AQC-113 LAN, Realtek ALC-1220A audio, Radeon RX580 card and Intel BT/Wifi card which now should all be enabled. Btw the AppleMCEReporterDisabler kext is only relevant for AMD Ryzen systems on Monterey 12.3+, NOT Intel based ones so I've removed that as well. The EFI should work as is (for Monterey) so give it a try.

Attachments

• EFI for Z690 Monterey.zip
    34.9 MB · Views: 123
Can you say more about why you use this in concert with USBmap?

The reason I ask is because my recent research suggests that SSDT-UIAC is an older approach that predates USBmap, and that USBmap subsumes it. IOW one way or the other but not both. But maybe I missed a finer point?
Alright. Well yes it does predate it - but afaik it works. From the builds I've had going so far (anything from Z490 onwards), having the SSDT-UIAC included seemed to allow the system to recognise the USB map properly for some reason and get past verbose, particularly with first-time installs. I've seen at times that not even enabling just the USBMap worked (despite it being configured correctly). A lot of builds I've seen others have also added SSDT-UIAC in addition to their USB map kexts (with no explanation given), so I decided to add it in as part of the build (since there is no real harm done to the system). I'm guessing there is still some finer areas about the USB map that need to be resolved.

Back