Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Do you have the specially-modded SSDT-PLUG-ALT file? If you don't then that could be why. Technically you 'should' have because otherwise the system won't boot beyond verbose stage. Just to be sure, have ProvideCurrentCPUInfo under Kernel checked and CPUFriend, CPUFriendDataProvider.kext, SMCProcessor and SMCSuperIO are installed and make sure your SMBIOS is at least iMacPro1,1. That should ensure your system gets the correct readings.
I dont have CPUFriend, I do have the SSDT-Plug-Alt the one available via dortania, or is there another specific one for i9 12900k? Provide current CPU Info is checked, and have SMCProcessor, and SMCSuperIO, my SMBios is MacPro 7,1

After reading up a LOT i was led to believe CPUFriend was only optional. I may need to go look into that. Thank You.

I dont have CPUFriend, I do have the SSDT-Plug-Alt, Provide current CPU Info is checked, and have SMCProcessor, and SMCSuperIO, my SMBios is MacPro 7,1

After reading up a LOT i was led to believe CPUFriend was only optional. I may need to go look into that. Thank You.

Big diff.

Attachments

• CPUFriend.kext.zip
    11.7 KB · Views: 44
  • CPUFriendDataProvider.kext.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 48
I dont have CPUFriend, I do have the SSDT-Plug-Alt the one available via dortania, or is there another specific one for i9 12900k? Provide current CPU Info is checked, and have SMCProcessor, and SMCSuperIO, my SMBios is MacPro 7,1

Right. Well for the SSDT-PLUG-ALT, yes there is. They are found in my EFI build here for the Asus Z690 Prime P D4 > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...1-monterey-install-and-support-thread.318407/. Also AppleXCPMCfgLock must be enabled.

As for CPUFriend it really depends on your build. Some work better with it, some maybe not. For my setup I found the system needs all of the SMC items enabled plus CPUFriend to work (in addition to the SSDT-PLUG-ALT which is compulsory). If you use CPUFriend you may not need to enable ProvideCurrentCPU checked, but I found it helped with my setup. In some cases even the SMBIOS switch caused a massive change in performance (between iMac20,2, iMacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1). I stuck with iMacPro1,1 for the best performance overall for my setup.

Right. Well for the SSDT-PLUG-ALT, yes there is. They are found in my EFI build here for the Asus Z690 Prime P D4 > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...1-monterey-install-and-support-thread.318407/. Also AppleXCPMCfgLock must be enabled.

As for CPUFriend it really depends on your build. Some work better with it, some maybe not. For my setup I found the system needs all of the SMC items enabled plus CPUFriend to work (in addition to the SSDT-PLUG-ALT which is compulsory). If you use CPUFriend you may not need to enable ProvideCurrentCPU checked, but I found it helped with my setup. In some cases even the SMBIOS switch caused a massive change in performance (between iMac20,2, iMacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1). I stuck with iMacPro1,1 for the best performance overall for my setup.
My build loves the CPUFriend+DataProvider combo. Are you getting similar performance without?

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 11.05.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 11.08.53 AM.png

Ok, I have used CPUFriendFriend to generate a CPUFriendDataProvider.kext, at the same time the script created a Mac-xxxxxxxxx.plist (its a longish string of alphanumeric characters), I had a look in the contents of the created kext plist.. not much there tbh, and i looked at the created plist..a lot more data in there... So.. can anyone clarify do i need this Mac-xxxxxx.plist and if so where does it go, as there seems very little information on it, and the one post i found happened to be on here, and no explanation was given for it. I also found it hard to get the required TDP-Down base frequency for the current 12th gen processors, as it seems intel have rejigged the way they calculate thing's and no longer report this. but by digging down i was able to work out that a suitable number is 1800mhz (1.8GHz) so used this when building the Provider kext (0x12), set the EPP to 0x40, and the Perf bias to 0x01 as during day to day tasks it will be fine, but ramp up reasonably quick when I'm doing more intensive image editing etc. i mostly use the machine for design work.

If anyone knows and can explain what the created plist along with the CPUFriend.DataProvider.kext does, and how it needs to be used. id like to know, as i really like to try and understand whats going on as best i can. and I'm sure others are just as curious. I will hold off inserting these kexts until I'm sure I've done it right. do the settings i chose seem ok for a 12900k?

Ok, I have used CPUFriendFriend to generate a CPUFriendDataProvider.kext, at the same time the script created a Mac-xxxxxxxxx.plist (its a longish string of alphanumeric characters), I had a look in the contents of the created kext plist.. not much there tbh, and i looked at the created plist..a lot more data in there... So.. can anyone clarify do i need this Mac-xxxxxx.plist and if so where does it go, as there seems very little information on it, and the one post i found happened to be on here, and no explanation was given for it. I also found it hard to get the required TDP-Down base frequency for the current 12th gen processors, as it seems intel have rejigged the way they calculate thing's and no longer report this. but by digging down i was able to work out that a suitable number is 1800mhz (1.8GHz) so used this when building the Provider kext (0x12), set the EPP to 0x40, and the Perf bias to 0x01 as during day to day tasks it will be fine, but ramp up reasonably quick when I'm doing more intensive image editing etc. i mostly use the machine for design work.

If anyone knows and can explain what the created plist along with the CPUFriend.DataProvider.kext does, and how it needs to be used. id like to know, as i really like to try and understand whats going on as best i can. and I'm sure others are just as curious. I will hold off inserting these kexts until I'm sure I've done it right. do the settings i chose seem ok for a 12900k?

That's the spirit. CPUFriend without DataProvider does nothing. With DataProvider however it provides a frequency table for our CPU to use. The GitHub sort of says it all. The knee jerk reaction over there seems to be that you probably don't need CPUFriend and sometimes that's true. On my build however, ya need it.

Re ...plist. Are you talking about the info.plist inside of CPUDataProvider.kext? If so, that's what CPUFriend is looking at.

As for creating your own, I've found that the one we're using on this forum is the best one. No matter how many I've made myself, I still get the best performance out of that one. Wouldn't it make since if we captured the frequency vectors of a real Mac? Anyway, with the forum approved one we're getting great performance. Highly recommend it.

@etorix do you remember who built ours?

Last edited:
@NorthAmTransAm It was provided here by @vandroiy , alongside ProvideCurrentCpuInfo.

Awesome, thank you. @Cerberus73 there's your info! Specifically the comment after.

Last edited:
That's the spirit. CPUFriend without DataProvider does nothing. With DataProvider however it provides a frequency table for our CPU to use. The GitHub sort of says it all. The knee jerk reaction over there seems to be that you probably don't need CPUFriend and sometimes that's true. On my build however, ya need it.

Re ...plist. Are you talking about the info.plist inside of CPUDataProvider.kext? If so, that's what CPUFriend is looking at.

As for creating your own, I've found that the one we're using on this forum is the best one. No matter how many I've made myself, I still get the best performance out of that one. Wouldn't it make since if we captured the frequency vectors of a real Mac? Anyway, with the forum approved one we're getting great performance. Highly recommend it.

@etorix do you remember who built ours?
No, not the info.plist contained within the CPUFriendDataprovider.kext, I used the CPUFriendFriend Script to compile the kext, and, when it did this in the "results" folder, it also created another separate plist, not contained in the kext. (It uses my Mac serial in the name, so I wont post it.) It also creates the ssdt_data.aml and ssdt_data.dsl in case you wanted to use the SSDT method instead of the kext.

And thank you for the link to the other posts, I've had a read through, and I think I see what's needed, and what I have to do. so ill give it a try.

Back