Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Does anyone know what exactly is needed to get Mojave 10.14.6 running? I saw @scj312 and @ori69 working on High Sierra and Mojave.

I have a working EFI for the Gigabyte Z690 UD D4 for Monterey.

I tried spoofing Cpuid1Data to both
EB060800 00000000 00000000 00000000
and
DE090600 00000000 00000000 00000000

using with and without CPUFriend and CpuTopologyRebuild kexts, but I can't seem to find the right way to do it. I get stuck at the "End RandomSeed" structurally.

I've uploaded the most recent EFI I was working with here.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 91
Does anyone know what exactly is needed to get Mojave 10.14.6 running? I saw @scj312 and @ori69 working on High Sierra and Mojave.

and

using with and without CPUFriend and CpuTopologyRebuild kexts, but I can't seem to find the right way to do it. I get stuck at the "End RandomSeed" structurally.

You'll need to use an SMBIOS compatible with Mojave.

and

Catalina worked once, but after new Bios and New Opencore it does not work anymore. SMbios iMac Pro 1.1.

Last edited:
Hi @ori69 and @NorthAmTransAm I'm using iMacPro1,1, otherwise it simply shows "OS not supported". It ends at "End Randomseed", which is something you don't get to see without a proper SMBIOS.

What do you mean by "string BIOS" and "new OpenCore"? Did you get it to work with other versions and, if so, which ones?

I assume that if Catalina can work, Mojave can too.

Hi @ori69 and @NorthAmTransAm I'm using iMacPro1,1, otherwise it simply shows "OS not supported". It ends at "End Randomseed", which is something you don't get to see without a proper SMBIOS.

What do you mean by "string BIOS" and "new OpenCore"? Did you get it to work with other versions and, if so, which ones?

I assume that if Catalina can work, Mojave can too.
Wanna try adding -no_compat_check as a boot arg?

Also disable secure boot model possibly.

Last edited:

and

I got Mojave working on my ASUS Z690 MaxExtr this weekend, using OC v080 (latest commit).

The keys (as some have mentioned) were:
1. iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS
2. Emulate: EB060800 00000000 00000000 00000000
3. Booter/Quirks below
Mojave-Booter-Quirks.jpeg
4. RestrictEvents (it now works in older MacOSes)
5. Kernel/Quirks below
Mojave:Kernel:Quirks.jpeg
5. boot-args were simple: keepsyms=1 debug=0x100
6. an older GPU (I was using a Vega 56). Newer Navi GPUs won't boot in anything earlier than mid-Big Sur.
7. All Aquantia SSDT, DevProp and Kernel/Patches were disabled since AQC113 didn't exist during the time of Mojave.

Last edited:
@rj510 That was crazy useful! I got past picker and the initial boot, but I did get a "Thread 0 crashed" kernel panic, after ACPI loading, and right after "VM Swap Subsystem On". I'm booting the Mojave installer (10.14.6).

Would you mind taking a look at my EFI, or posting yours?

I imagine I may be lacking the proper CPU support now, especially after disabling Kernel/Quirks "ProvideCurrentCpuInfo". Maybe I'm not having your kexts, and that's bugging.

I'm using an RX570 4GB, which should be supported well.

Update:
After enabling "ProvideCurrentCpuInfo", the "CPUTopologyRebuild.kext", "CPUFriend" and "CPUFriendDataProvider-iMacPro-1-1.kext" I managed to boot Mojave installer and install. Working OK now.

Last edited:
@rj510 That was crazy useful! I got past picker and the initial boot, but I did get a "Thread 0 crashed" kernel panic, after ACPI loading, and right after "VM Swap Subsystem On". I'm booting the Mojave installer (10.14.6).

Would you mind taking a look at my EFI, or posting yours?

I imagine I may be lacking the proper CPU support now, especially after disabling Kernel/Quirks "ProvideCurrentCpuInfo". Maybe I'm not having your kexts, and that's bugging.

I'm using an RX570 4GB, which should be supported well.

Update:
After enabling "ProvideCurrentCpuInfo", the "CPUTopologyRebuild.kext", "CPUFriend" and "CPUFriendDataProvider-iMacPro-1-1.kext" I managed to boot Mojave installer and install. Working OK now.

Yes, "ProvideCurrentCpuInfo", the "CPUTopologyRebuild.kext", "CPUFriend" and "CPUFriendDataProvider-iMacPro-1-1.kext" are all necessary. I didn't mention since these are also necessary for Big Sur and Monterey. Except for those settings I mentioned in the first post, all other settings were the same between Mojave and the more recent macOSes.

My basic config file was otherwise derived from CaseySJ's thread (and a nod to shinoki7 — our USB assignments seem to differ).

rear-paneo-io-v2.png

*** PlatformInfo/Memory Settings ***​

Unrelated to booting Mojave, I did adjust the DDR4(5) Memory section of the PlatformInfo section. (This is where RestrictEvents is required.) Despite the instructions saying that there must be 12 slots occupied, I found it mildly annoying to see 12 slots when there are only 4 on our mobos (so what I'm writing is probably more cosmetic than functional). By adjusting (as shown in the Spoiler), only 4 slots, as shown at bottom, are displayed. When using these settings, there seem to be no problems with respect to booting, sleep-wake, etc.

As for the actual memory, I'm running 2 sticks of Corsair 32GB Dominator 5200MHz DDR5s. OpenCore (or Apple) does not presently have a code for flagging the Type as DDR5; instead, for now, we must continue to use Type = 26 (DDR4).

About-Memory.png

ASUS-Z690-MaxExtr-PlatformInfo-Memory.png

Last edited:
Yes, "ProvideCurrentCpuInfo", the "CPUTopologyRebuild.kext", "CPUFriend" and "CPUFriendDataProvider-iMacPro-1-1.kext" are all necessary. I didn't mention since these are also necessary for Big Sur and Monterey. Except for those settings I mentioned in the first post (which I just amended for Aquantia), all other settings were the same between Mojave and the more recent macOSes.

My basic config file was otherwise derived from CaseySJ's thread.

Unrelated to booting Mojave, I did adjust the DDR4(5) Memory section of the PlatformInfo section. (This is where RestrictEvents is required.) Despite the instructions saying that there must be 12 slots occupied, I found it mildly annoying to see 12 slots when there are only 4 on our mobos (so what I'm writing is probably more cosmetic than functional). By adjusting (as shown in the Spoiler, only 4 slots as shown further below. There seem to be no problems with respect to booting, sleep-wake, etc. when using these settings.

As for the actual memory, I'm running 2 sticks of Corsair 32GB Dominator 5200MHz DDR5s. OpenCore (or Apple) does not presently have a code for flagging the Type as DDR5; instead, for now, we must continue to use Type = 26 (DDR4).

View attachment 545234
iMacPro1.1 DDR5.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 100
I was going to say, after watching this video recently from Max Tech of the real-world performance comparisons between the new M1 Ultra Mac Studio and the PC, there is a very strong argument for choosing the hackintosh route
>

In fact he's also posted a new video update on this, and talks about new unexpected issues he's found with the Mac Studio after 1 week of usage >

Back