Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Hi all! Let me know if this is not the right thread for this.

I've got a new 12900K build that has been working nicely for a few months, but I'm having trouble getting its Thunderbolt 4 to work with OpenCore for my new Studio Display.

I have the MSI Z690i, which I believe has a JHL8540 Thunderbolt 4 controller. I've seen other posts in this forum with tweaks for that controller, but those seem mostly cosmetic. My issue is that OpenCore never reaches the boot picker if I fully enable the controller. The BIOS setting for this is called "DTBT Controller 0". If I enable that BIOS setting, OpenCore won't load.

View attachment 544881

Thunderbolt (and the Apple Studio Display) is confirmed working in Windows with full resolution and USB hub / speaker support, so the Thunderbolt controller and Displayport-in are working.

OpenCore seems to be unable to figure out how to output video to the studio display. Here's a (debug mode) log from OpenCore: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/...8982e8792bb235/opencore-2022-03-24-012247.txt

Any ideas?
please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

Hello.
Sometimes ago I got in Opencore this issue: before picker loading I see 4 identical strings on screen:

hdr: open pci i/o protocol (try DisconnectHda quirk?) - Already started

I tried this quirk - nothing happends. This strings goes away after BIOS update.
Last week I updated BIOS again - and got it again ;)

Somebody with MSI Z690 got this messages too?

Last edited:
Hello. First, let me say hello to everyone on the tonymacx86. I will present my set: MSI Pro z690 A-wifi ddr4 motherboard, everything works except BT and wifi.

View attachment 537428
Would you mind if I poked around your EFI a little bit? We have the same board and I'm trying to trouble shoot an aspect of my own.

Last edited:
Hello.
Sometimes ago I got in Opencore this issue: before picker loading I see 4 identical strings on screen:

I tried this quirk - nothing happends. This strings goes away after BIOS update.
Last week I updated BIOS again - and got it again ;)

Somebody with MSI Z690 got this messages too?

See if anything in here helps.

A note on the USB map: HS14 is not needed as the two USB 2.0 headers on the board are actually a hub at HS13. Also, there seems to be no USB 2.0 port for the on board Type C connector.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    9.2 MB · Views: 164
Last edited:

I've got a new 12900K build that has been working nicely for a few months, but I'm having trouble getting its Thunderbolt 4 to work with OpenCore for my new Studio Display.

I have the MSI Z690i, which I believe has a JHL8540 Thunderbolt 4 controller. I've seen other posts in this forum with tweaks for that controller, but those seem mostly cosmetic. My issue is that OpenCore never reaches the boot picker if I fully enable the controller. The BIOS setting for this is called "DTBT Controller 0". If I enable that BIOS setting, OpenCore won't load.

View attachment 544881

Thunderbolt (and the Apple Studio Display) is confirmed working in Windows with full resolution and USB hub / speaker support, so the Thunderbolt controller and Displayport-in are working.

OpenCore seems to be unable to figure out how to output video to the studio display. Here's a (debug mode) log from OpenCore: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/...8982e8792bb235/opencore-2022-03-24-012247.txt

Any ideas?

Check out my build, very similar.

Set DTBT Controller to 1.

Solved it. Repeated sleep works. USB isn't waking but I'll get there.

Looks like we're lucky on this board. No patches required for wake from USB. Simply enable it in bios and follow the procedure below. Triple sleep works.

In bios you have to go to EZ Mode with F7 to disable TPM 2.0. Then Save without restarting and shutdown with the power switch on the PSU. Otherwise it will restart and revert to the last known setting that worked.

Admittedly the bios is a little tricky to navigate. When I get around to filling out my build post I'll document this well. Theres lots of flying between menus. I've only been on Asus and MSI and I've gotta give it to ASUS.

Boot time has sped up significantly. It's possible the errors we saw in verbose boot are still there but I haven't spotted them during the fast crawl as it no longer stalls there.

Update the errors are still there it simply doesn't stall on them. No adverse effects so far.

There are still 4 unsupported modules in the bootlog that aren't problematic but I'd love to know what they are because...science?
I have the same crash on the second wake-from-sleep but unfortunately I don't see TPM 2.0 in Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 :(

Would you mind if I poked around your EFI a little bit? We have the same board and I'm trying to trouble shoot an aspect of my own.
Of course you can view it, I also use this forum :) After many attempts I was able to improve my set a bit, and added a wifi card BCM94360NG converter to M.2 M Key. It works perfectly.
bench.jpg

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23.5 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:

View attachment 544881

Any ideas?
Hey Heuristic,

Unfortunately I can't help with the tb4 controller issue. Following closely here...

I have the same board and am having persistent kernel panics.

Do you have some direction on your EFI? Any golden build you followed? So far you're the only build I've seen also with this board.

Cheers,

Of course you can view it, I also use this forum :) After many attempts I was able to improve my set a bit, and added a wifi card BCM94360NG converter to M.2 M Key. It works perfectly. View attachment 545091

Thank you very much!

I see you've also got AppleXCMForceBoost enabled. I've had to disable that as Pro Tools and UAD got buggy with random disconnects but that speed is to die for. I'm having trouble getting Turbo to kick in with all E-Cores disabled at the moment and was looking for something I might have overlooked.

Back