Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Yes, "ProvideCurrentCpuInfo", the "CPUTopologyRebuild.kext", "CPUFriend" and "CPUFriendDataProvider-iMacPro-1-1.kext" are all necessary. I didn't mention since these are also necessary for Big Sur and Monterey. Except for those settings I mentioned in the first post (which I just amended for Aquantia), all other settings were the same between Mojave and the more recent macOSes.

My basic config file was otherwise derived from CaseySJ's thread (and a nod to shinoki7 — our USB assignments seem to differ).

Unrelated to booting Mojave, I did adjust the DDR4(5) Memory section of the PlatformInfo section. (This is where RestrictEvents is required.) Despite the instructions saying that there must be 12 slots occupied, I found it mildly annoying to see 12 slots when there are only 4 on our mobos (so what I'm writing is probably more cosmetic than functional). By adjusting (as shown in the Spoiler), only 4 slots, as shown at bottom, are displayed. When using these settings, there seem to be no problems with respect to booting, sleep-wake, etc.

As for the actual memory, I'm running 2 sticks of Corsair 32GB Dominator 5200MHz DDR5s. OpenCore (or Apple) does not presently have a code for flagging the Type as DDR5; instead, for now, we must continue to use Type = 26 (DDR4).

View attachment 545234

If there is interest, I can post an EFI with config files for Mojave and Big Sur/Monterey. Attached is an EFI for the ASUS Z690 Maximus Extreme mobo. After editing, change the name of either the config-Mojave.plist or config-BigSur.plist (also works for Monterey) to config.plist based on your macOS. The included ACPI, Kext and Driver folders have the correct files for both config files.

Several changes, aside from the usual SN stuff are required, such as generating your own USB-15.kext file since mine is unique to the ASUS Z690 Maximus Extreme. Also, in BIOS, I disabled all on-board audio (the ALC4082 is USB-based; I never have any need for on-board audio, as I run audio from a USB port to an Apogee Desktop Symphony unit for all my computers), and disabled the internal Intel Wifi/BT.

These two changes freed up 2 more USB ports thereby making functional all USB ports on the front and rear panels. In turn, this means my config file has no need for either the Audio.efi driver nor the AppleALC kext in the config file, which is contrary to many users.

Additionally, I'm using the CpuTopologyRebuild kext (with an extra boot-arg of "-ctrsmt"), which can be downloaded here, along with some patches (patches_ht.plist and patches_legacy.plist; the latter useful with Mojave) provided by the same author.

Finally, after adding your SN info in the PlatformInfo/Generic section, look at the adjacent PlatformInfo/Memory section to add real or fake SNs for your 2 or 4 sticks of DDR5, according to your setup.

So perhaps, unless you're using the same mobo, my EFI would be more work than help. (What the heck: I've explained the differences, so I might as well attach it. The EFI is a recent v080: RELEASE-d8957a9.)

I might as well also post some test results. The reason I decided to build a Z690 was that I had an opportunity to purchase a pre-binned i9 12900KF with 5.3GHz across all 8-cores. In BIOS, I have active both AI-Optimized sections along with XMP-I; I've not yet performed any other tweaking.

Power usage during a Cinebench 23 run; PS = 850W; CPU was using ~250W with another 200W for everything else:
View attachment 545246

C23 Result:
View attachment 545247

C15 Result:
View attachment 545248

Geekbench 5, CPU:
View attachment 545250

Geekbench 5, GPU:

View attachment 545249

Interesting our USB mappings were different (shinoki7 is me lol). I believe I did this in Windows with another program so I could've messed up....

Ive spent the best part of a few days trying to get an
Asus Z690-M prime
RX6600
I9 12900K

working.....
no matter what i tried......
then i loaded in
efi-asrock-z690m as an absolute last resort.....

and now i'm looking at this.....
IMG_20220401_115827.jpg

It's enough to make grown men cry... ... but it does validate the build & and my process...

Ive spent the best part of a few days trying to get an
Asus Z690-M prime
RX6600
I9 12900K

working.....
no matter what i tried......
then i loaded in
efi-asrock-z690m as an absolute last resort.....

and now i'm looking at this.....
View attachment 545268

It's enough to make grown men cry... ... but it does validate the build & and my process...
make sure to use a wired keyboard and mouse, try different ports, press spacebar at that screen

I was going to say, after watching this video recently from Max Tech of the real-world performance comparisons between the new M1 Ultra Mac Studio and the PC, there is a very strong argument for choosing the hackintosh route
>

In fact he's also posted a new video update on this, and talks about new unexpected issues he's found with the Mac Studio after 1 week of usage >
And this is my thoughts about Mac Studio.

LogicBench.png

Today, Intel announced the Intel® NUC 12 Extreme (code-named Dragon Canyon) and the Intel® NUC 12 Extreme Compute Element (code-named Eden Bay), a highly modular desktop PC kit engineered to provide phenomenal performance for high-end gaming and content creation tasks. With the latest 12th Gen Intel Core desktop processors, capacity for full-size 12-inch discrete graphics cards and a full range of I/O ports including Thunderbolt™ 4, the Intel NUC 12 Extreme delivers massive performance and features that enthusiast gamers and professional creators need in a compact and modular form factor.

Intel-NUC-12-Extreme-2.jpg

Additional features include:

• Intel® UHD Graphics 770 (32EU)
  • Support for up to 64 GB dual-channel DDR4-3200 MHz SODIMMs
  • Support for PCIe Gen5 x16 graphics cards
    • Backwards compatible with PCIe Gen4 and Gen3 devices
  • Support for up to three PCIe Gen4 M.2 SSDs
  • Two Thunderbolt 4 ports, Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211, a 10Gbps Ethernet port standard; and additional 2.5Gbps Ethernet port on Intel Corei9 processor SKUs

make sure to use a wired keyboard and mouse, try different ports, press spacebar at that screen

I think the reason i could not get the damned thing working initially, was the USB ports going off line.
different ones were activated depending on the boot stage.

in the end i used a hub into a single port, that seemed to be always working... and i made it to a full boot
and it's been stable for a day, even played some heavy usage games , seeing >150fps, lucky if i got 30 previously.

I see some other members with working EFI for Asus Z690M P D4 Prime.
I'd like to get my hands on one of those Asus Z690M P D4 Prime EFI sets
to see why the "efi-asrock-z690m" is such a good match for this board.

next task , is to recover the other USB ports
get the intel fibercard working i8259X (done)
get the sound out of the motherboard instead of my USB sound dongle
(done)

Find out why it did not copy the EFI folder over to the physical startup drive
(it's a manual process)

Last edited:
I think the reason i could not get the damned thing working initially, was the USB ports going off line.
different ones were activated depending on the boot stage.

in the end i used a hub into a single port, that seemed to be always working... and i made it to a full boot
and it's been stable for a day, even played some heavy usage games , seeing >150fps, lucky if i got 30 previously.

I see some other members with working EFI for Asus Z690M P D4 Prime.
I'd like to get my hands on one of those Asus Z690M P D4 Prime EFI sets
to see why the "efi-asrock-z690m" is such a good match for this board.

next task , is to recover the other USB ports
get the intel fibercard working i8259X
get the sound out of the motherboard instead of my USB sound dongle

and find out why it did not copy the EFI folder over to the physical startup drive
Not sure its worth anything to you but I found if XHCIPortLimit is enabled then it all goes to hell.

Not sure its worth anything to you but I found if XHCIPortLimit is enabled then it all goes to hell.
Yep.. had a look and it is cleared.
I suspect USB is not mapped correctly becasue the base mother board is ASrocks not Asus

the system rebooted cleanly every time yesterday...
but this morning, it paniced in the video driver on initial boot, but after that it's been fine.

Interestingly the sound on mother board worked this morning, with no mods...
so its clear that a "reboot" is *NOT* enough when worknig with these motherboards.
Every so often you have to fully power down(cables out, power button pressed) for 5 minutes to check your work...

Reboots,warm start,sleep
all work.......
might pop out later to pick up a suitable wifi & BLE card

i'm just sat herewith a tear in my eye at the beauty of this system... Just screw Apple, .... because this clearly shows what CAN be done if they were really motivated....

Yep.. had a look and it is cleared.
I suspect USB is not mapped correctly becasue the base mother board is ASrocks not Asus

the system rebooted cleanly every time yesterday...
but this morning, it paniced in the video driver on initial boot, but after that it's been fine.

Interestingly the sound on mother board worked this morning, with no mods...
so its clear that a "reboot" is *NOT* enough when worknig with these motherboards.
Every so often you have to fully power down(cables out, power button pressed) for 5 minutes to check your work...

Reboots,warm start,sleep
all work.......
might pop out later to pick up a suitable wifi & BLE card

i'm just sat herewith a tear in my eye at the beauty of this system... Just screw Apple, .... because this clearly shows what CAN be done if they were really motivated....

You'll figure it out. Take your time, stay methodical, and enjoy it. The journey is the actual fun part of this.

When something starts working, figure out how to break it! This is important.

As for the shutdown vs restart I have a similar issue on my MSI. If I want to enter Bios I have to do a shutdown first. If I reset NVRAM I also have to restart. Nuances!

Back