Contribute
Register

XFX RX 6950 XT Crashing my System!

Sorry, the last part of my last post reads as if I'm having a stroke. Lol. (I was really sleepy while typing it).

In the last sentece, I was trying to say that after the Apple logo the monitor goes dark for like a minute then the macOS login screen comes on.

Also, I noticed with these two new cards that I tried, after the Apple logo there is a brief "No signal detected" on my monitor which doesn't happen when I'm using my Radeon VII. I wonder if this is this could help explain some of the issues I'm having

In regards to contacting AMD and Adobe, I will probably do that. I'll also keep digging around in the forums as well.

Thanks!

Post a copy of your whole EFI folder, so we can see exactly what you are using, and just as importantly what you are not using.

Just remember to delete/redact your serial number from your config.plist before posting a copy here.

Post a copy of your whole EFI folder, so we can see exactly what you are using, and just as importantly what you are not using.

Just remember to delete/redact your serial number from your config.plist before posting a copy here.
Please see attached as requested. In case it helps, I also included a "Detailed System Report" that I ran on the Intel website while running Windows.
Thanks again!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 56
  • Detailed-System-Report.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 32
SSDT's:
Why do you have a DMAR.aml table in your /OC/ACPI folder and config.plist? I've never needed this APCI table in any Coffee Lake system I have built and hack'd.

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 22.46.03.png DMAR.aml table deletion and replacement?

Are you also Deleting the original/system DMAR.aml table?

You are using the 'Generic' SSDT's from Dortania in your OC setup, you have been playing around with this system long enough to have generated/created custom SSDT's for your CFL system, using Corpnewt's SSDTTime script and the system DSDT.aml. The tables generated in this manner would be better than the generic tables you are currently using.

If you don't know how to use this Python script, it works in Windows and macOS, just post a copy of your system DSDT.aml and I will see what I can create for your system.

IGPU Framebuffer:
You have your Intel UHD 630 IGPU set with a Framebuffer that looks to drive a display, why?

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 22.47.55.png Drive display framebuffer

With your discrete dGPU your IGPU should be set with a headless/empty framebuffer, to mimic how a real Apple CFL system works.

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 22.48.30.png Headless framebuffer

RTC Patch:
One of the custom SSDT's you would create with Corpnewt's SSDTTime script would be used in place of the Kernel > Patch you are using to fix an RTC error.

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 22.54.23.png RTC fix/patch

Kernel > Quirks:
Were you having issues with Kernel > Quirks > DisableIoMapper enabled in your config.plist, as you currently have is disabled. I ask this as the Dortania guide for CFL systems recommends enabling this quirk.

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 22.56.27.png DisableIoMapper quirk set as false, should be set as true.

Misc settings:
You have Misc > Debug > AppleDebug set to false/disabled, it is normally set to True/enabled.

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 23.02.53.png AppleDebug should be set to True.

You have Misc > Security > SecureBootModel set as 'Disabled', the normal setting is 'Default'. So again I ask did you have issues booting your system when this entry was set to 'Disabled'?

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 23.08.16.png SecureBootModel > Disabled

Drivers:
There are a couple of drivers in the /EFI/OC/Drivers folder that you don't need when booting your system, AudioDxe.efi and ExFatDxe.efi. Unless you are booting from an ExFat partition and need to hear the Apple Chime when your system boots. If neither of these scenarios are true then you can delete them.

Other than the items listed above your OC EFI is in good shape!

Which Drive are you using for macOS, the 4TB PNY CS3040 NVMe SSD or one of the USB attached drives? I ask as the drives C, D & F are formatted NTFS or ExFat. The PNY drive isn't listed in the Storage section and only one other drive (USB) doesn't declare their formatting in the system report you provided.

I see that 2 x drives are formatted as ExFat, this now makes more sense of your use of the ExFatDxe.efi driver.

SSDT's:
Why do you have a DMAR.aml table in your /OC/ACPI folder and config.plist? I've never needed this APCI table in any Coffee Lake system I have built and hack'd.
DMAR.aml table deletion and replacement?

Are you also Deleting the original/system DMAR.aml table?
The reason I'm using the DMAR table is because my wifi stopped working after installing and setting up my 10gb aquantia aqc107 card. In order to get the 10gb aquantia aqc107 card to work I have to enable ForceAquantiaEthernet and disable DisableIOMapper. However, this fix breaks my wifi. After digging around I found the solution to get both devices working, which involves dropping the original DMAR and using a modified version of it.​
If there is a more clean solution let me know.​

If you don't know how to use this Python script, it works in Windows and macOS, just post a copy of your system DSDT.aml and I will see what I can create for your system.
See attached.​

IGPU Framebuffer:
You have your Intel UHD 630 IGPU set with a Framebuffer that looks to drive a display, why?
Yeah that was a mistake, I think I had it correctly but somehow changed it while tinkering around. I will change it back to 0300913E​

RTC Patch:
One of the custom SSDT's you would create with Corpnewt's SSDTTime script would be used in place of the Kernel > Patch you are using to fix an RTC error.
Can you help me with this?​

Kernel > Quirks:
Were you having issues with Kernel > Quirks > DisableIoMapper enabled in your config.plist, as you currently have is disabled. I ask this as the Dortania guide for CFL systems recommends enabling this quirk.
I had to do disable this in order to make my wifi and 10gb card work at the same time (see my response to your SSDT question).​

Misc settings:
You have Misc > Debug > AppleDebug set to false/disabled, it is normally set to True/enabled.
In the OpenCore Post-Install guide under "Decluttering" section it says I can disable Debug: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/cosmetic/verbose.html

You have Misc > Security > SecureBootModel set as 'Disabled', the normal setting is 'Default'. So again I ask did you have issues booting your system when this entry was set to 'Disabled'?
This was a mistake, I will change it back to Default.​

Drivers:
There are a couple of drivers in the /EFI/OC/Drivers folder that you don't need when booting your system, AudioDxe.efi and ExFatDxe.efi. Unless you are booting from an ExFat partition and need to hear the Apple Chime when your system boots. If neither of these scenarios are true then you can delete them.
Yes I chose AudioDxe.efi on purpose to hear the Apple Chime when I boot. As far as ExFatDxe.efi I misunderstood what this was for. I just now went ahead and removed it.​

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    275.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Also, when I select screensaver in the macOS settings, it shuts down and reboots just like when I select denoise in Lightroom.
See attached. Hope this helps solve the mystery.

Attachments

• 20230730_202626.zip
    20.8 MB · Views: 18
@kSilva,

Regarding your card crashing, have you tried to add revblock=media to your boot-arg? Apparently this fix helps to fix any crashes or freezing on Ventura or newer versions of macOS.

Also, when I select screensaver in the macOS settings, it shuts down and reboots just like when I select denoise in Lightroom.
Any progress with your restarts @kSilva ?

I've been building a i9-13900KF with the XFX 6950 XT and the PugetBench Premiere benchmark would force a restart. After numerous testing (and even getting Windows 10 to force a restart as well) I started working with voltages.

It's my humble opinion that a forced restart under load mixed with CPU and GPU (Cinebench would not do it as it is only CPU) is a voltage issue.

I de-tuned my i9 and set my v-droop to level 1; turned off auto OC stuff in my ASUS, set limits on the CPU, put RAM at XMP I, left voltage auto and really honed in the stability.

After a few days of tinkering, I could totally get the computer to restart at various stages of the benchmark and finally, it now completes it. No restart. And Lightroom does not restart either.

EDIT:
I would start with loading defaults in BIOS (make sure the boot and necessary changes are made) and see what occurs. Most likely it will restart because defaults leaves everything in auto.

Then I would work on detuning the RAM first. Take off XMP and in BIOS see what it says the default speed is on your RAM. Also, I'd try it with only 1 stick.

My previous hack, video/GPU stuff was RAM speed related. I had 4000 mhz I ended up settling at 2333.

If RAM doesn't change with one stick detuned, put XMP back on and start on CPU.

This hack, changing RAM speed did nothing. It was all CPU related.

EDIT 2:
I tried Lightroom denoise on some tough large photos, works great. No restarts.

Last edited:
Hi,kSilva. I'm from China, my configuration is: I7 8086K ASRock-Z390-Phantom-Gaming-ITX RT6950XT, GPU spoof 6900XT. My fault phenomenon is very similar to yours. It is very easy to crash when I open Safari in full screen to watch videos. I have also tried the BIOS default state, MPT injection pp_phmsoftpowerplaytable and other methods, but none of them work. As long as the GPU is not involved, the screen will not be black, such as The Cinebench R23 stress test can be passed normally. This graphics card is completely normal under Windows. I really can't find a solution. Seeing that your situation is the closest to mine, I specially registered for the forum to ask for advice. If it has been solved, can you tell me what to do? Thank you.

Back