i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I upgraded my GPU to the XFX RX 6950 XT. I followed the guide to spoof to the 6900 version and that’s working as intended. However, I have big issue: The computer keeps shutting down!

It appears that when the GPU goes into heavy load, it shuts down the system. In my situation, this happens every single time I run Geekbench, daVinci Resolve, Lightroom, etc. I also tested it with the OC switched in the silent, but had the same outcome. Attached it’s a video link showing the problem as it happens.

Does anyone have a solution to this? I spent hours searching online and did not find anything. I would hate to return this card. I wonder if these Navi cards are just incompatible with my motherboard. The reason I say that is because I had similar issues a few years back with an RX 5700 XT which I ended up selling.
Any ideas or suggestions on what I should do?
If the issue is XFX card incompatibility with this specific motherboard and GPU, I'm willing to upgrade the CPU/Mobo to the best most compatible one that Mac OS supports.
I do a lot of 4K video color grading/editing in daVinci Resolve. This is what I want to optimize my build for.

Thanks in advance!

Questions:
  1. Do you have a sufficiently powerful PSU to drive your system when it is working flat out?
  2. Which PSU are you using? (Make & Model)
    1. XFX recommend using an 850W PSU as a minimum with their RX 6950 XT
  3. Which other devices/components are you using in your i9-9990K/Z390-A system? Assuming this is happening on the system shown in your User Profile.
    1. How many drives connected, type?
    2. How many PCIe cards attached?
    3. How many unpowered USB devices attached?
The GPU is compatible with your motherboard and CPU. You don't need to change them, unless you want to!

The power spike for 6900 XT (as well as 6950 XT) is about 600W so 850W is the minimal requirement for a suitable PSU.

Thanks guys for responding to my questions. I removed every peripheral unnecessary to run the machine. The only things attached to my motherboard (models and picture listed below) are the CPU, GPU, m.2 SSD, USB mouse, Apple keyboard via USB, CPU liquid cooler and 4 case fans

1. Do you have a sufficiently powerful PSU to drive your system when it is working flat out?
    Yes, upgrade to the 850W PSU when I had my 5700 GPU because some suggested I needed more watts but that wasn't the case.
    Corsair HX850i

3. Which other devices/components are you using in your i9-9990K/Z390-A system? Assuming this is happening on the system shown in your User Profile.
    - Yes, i9-9990K/Z390-A system
    - COUGAR Panzer Evo RGB Black ATX Full Tower (4 fans)
    - H150i Pro Liquid CPU Cooler
    - 64GB G. Skills Ripjaws V, F4-3200C16Q-64GVK

• How many drives connected, type?
      1, only the M.2 Running MacOS. PNY XLR8 CS3040 4TB M.2 NVMe Gen4 x4 M280CS3040
    • How many PCIe cards attached?
      Just the GPU
    • How many unpowered USB devices attached?
      Only the case USB headers
Hope this helps solve the mystery. @Edhawk let me know if you need any other info.

Attachments

• 20230715_124425.jpg
    20230715_124425.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Thanks guys for responding to my questions. I removed every peripheral unnecessary to run the machine. The only things attached to my motherboard (models and picture listed below) are the CPU, GPU, m.2 SSD, USB mouse, Apple keyboard via USB, CPU liquid cooler and 4 case fans

Yes, upgrade to the 850W PSU when I had my 5700 GPU because some suggested I needed more watts but that wasn't the case.
    Corsair HX850i

- Yes, i9-9990K/Z390-A system
    - COUGAR Panzer Evo RGB Black ATX Full Tower (4 fans)
    - H150i Pro Liquid CPU Cooler
    - 64GB G. Skills Ripjaws V, F4-3200C16Q-64GVK

• How many drives connected, type?
      1, only the M.2 Running MacOS. PNY XLR8 CS3040 4TB M.2 NVMe Gen4 x4 M280CS3040
    • How many PCIe cards attached?
      Just the GPU
    • How many unpowered USB devices attached?
      Only the case USB headers
Hope this helps solve the mystery. @Edhawk let me know if you need any other info.
So does it still crash now? If so look at your memory timings in the bios and if XMP is enabled try changing it to auto. If it still crashes try two sticks of RAM, instead of four, still set to default.

So does it still crash now? If so look at your memory timings in the bios and if XMP is enabled try changing it to auto. If it still crashes try two sticks of RAM, instead of four, still set to default.
I tried Auto, XMP I, XMP II and with 2 sticks (following the manual's recommended order config), and I'm still having the same issue. These changes don't make any difference

I tried Auto, XMP I, XMP II and with 2 sticks (following the manual's recommended order config), and I'm still having the same issue. These changes don't make any difference
Okay, good start to trouble shooting the hardware. I reread your initial posts and do not see if you have tried other operating systems. If it does happen in Linux or Windows you can rule it a hardware issue, you just won't know what component if causing it yet. If it doesn't then its something related to Opencore, the existing OSX Installation or your bios settings.

Okay, good start to trouble shooting the hardware. I reread your initial posts and do not see if you have tried other operating systems. If it does happen in Linux or Windows you can rule it a hardware issue, you just won't know what component if causing it yet. If it doesn't then its something related to Opencore, the existing OSX Installation or your bios settings.
It doesn't happen in Windows.
Here are my bios settings: https://github.com/idev1669/Hackintosh-Opencore-Z390-A#bios-setup

Last edited:
Here is the sanitized (removed SMBIOS) version of my config.plist. Anything that I can change that could help but won't hurt?
Thanks!!!

Attachments

• configSantized.plist
    19.9 KB · Views: 32
Back