Contribute
Register

XFX Rx 590 not working on Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll just add to this thread my experience.

XFX Fatboy would cause my Mojave USB installer to fail. I used my Windows 10 boot to flash it to the PowerColor BIOS and Mojave installed and it works.

There are difficulties in flashing the BIOS. The first thing is there are actually two of them on the card, the Polaris 10 and Polaris 30, and you will want to flash the adapter number assigned to the 30. As mentioned, there is a subsystem ID mismatch and you have to force the flasher to ignore it with a command line option.
Could you please be more specific about the dual bios thing?
I flashed the Fatboy with the PowerColor vbios and didn't see any of it.

I wonder if I did it right or wrong then.

Thanks for your help.
Best,
-a-

I wonder if I did it right or wrong then.

Thanks for your help.
Best,
-a-

There is a switch near the HDMI and DisplayPort end of the card. It’s small but it can be set to quiet mode or overlock mode. These are 2 different bios sets.

Here is the RX 590 (after flash) viewed with GPU Z in Windows. It looks like just one BIOS.
GPUZ Polaris 30.PNG

By the way, I used GPU Z to save the stock XFX Fatboy BIOS in case I need to flash it back to its original state.

Here is the card inspected with the AMD flash tool from Windows power shell. It shows two adapter numbers, 0 and 1, to be used with the command.
amdvbflash info.PNG

So when you use the command line to flash, you'll use the number for the Polaris 30 as an argument.

There is a switch near the HDMI and DisplayPort end of the card. It’s small but it can be set to quiet mode or overlock mode. These are 2 different bios sets.
Where did you say the switch was?
what does it look like?
I cannot find it.

Attachments

• 2019-03-28 15.55.12.jpg
    2019-03-28 15.55.12.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 439
  • 2019-03-28 15.55.40.jpg
    2019-03-28 15.55.40.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 315
Found it, thanks :)
It's actually next to the power connectors.

I have no idea what this switch is for. (quiet mode vs overclock mode? I thought this would be automatic).

It's for normal and overclock mode.

Could someone please show step by step how to replace the XFX RX 590 ROM with the Powercolor RX 590 ROM? I do not know how to do this, especially via the command line. I bought XFX without knowing it is incompatible with hackintosh.

Download PowerColor ROM
Download amdvbflash tool
Copy ROM file to same folder as flash tool
Change directory to flash tool
Command line: amdvbflash -f -p 1 powercolor.rom

hi guys. i bought a xfx fatboy. Right now, I'm using windows 10, but I'd like to install Hackintosh Catalina, not Mojave. Is the graphics compatible? Or is it a mandatory flash of bios as written in this thread? thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back