AMD Ryzen 5900x
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys.

I bought an XFX Rx590 Fatboy on Black Friday. After a quick glance on Tonymac I saw that some people already had success running RX590's on Mojave so I pulled the trigger. Only after the purchase did the posts surface that this particular brand is proving troublesome.

I would really like to keep this card as it's a huge upgrade from my previous card (RX 560 - 4GB)!

Is there a process or procedure I can follow or test to try and get this to work? To date, the only suggestion has been to try and overwrite the vbios, but that isn't an option as I would then forfeit any opportunity to sell it again by voiding the warranty.

Please help.

For reference, this i the error I get.

IMG_2776.JPG

Sapphire Nitro+ RX 590 and XFX RX 590's BIOS are known to be incompatible with macOS. PowerColor RX 590 is only thing that works. You will either have to exchange it for PowerColor or flash it with PowerColor BIOS.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the input.

I guess my real question is - will there be a fix in the future? If I return it, I get hit with a 25% penalty, so that's not really an option.

Doubtful with XFX as they had history of being incompatible with macOS. You could, at your own risk, flash the XFX BIOS using Sapphire or PowerColor BIOS. It's has to be the same reference design card, ie. same ports, memory/gpu speed, etc. and excluding the heatsink/fan. Currently, there's only XFX BIOS on TechPowerUp and hopefully someone will upload other brands soon.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...el=RX+590&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

It would be better to ask to exchange the card for Sapphire, PowerColor or ASUS since XFX is incompatible with macOS.

Doubtful with XFX as they had history of being incompatible with macOS. You could, at your own risk, flash the XFX BIOS using Sapphire or PowerColor BIOS. It's has to be the same reference design card, ie. same ports, memory/gpu speed, etc. and excluding the heatsink/fan. Currently, there's only XFX BIOS on TechPowerUp and hopefully someone will upload other brands soon.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...el=RX+590&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

It would be better to ask to exchange the card for Sapphire, PowerColor or ASUS since XFX is incompatible with macOS.

Thanks Remington. Not the news I was hoping for.

I think I'll sit on the card for a while and then resell it (I bought it on Black Friday), and then get one of the recognised cards.

All the best!

Isn't it possible to just fake the deviceID or something?

From the screenshot you provided at the start of the thread, this is not GPU related. But there has been no evidence showing any specific manufacturer of any RX series GPU not working. It has all been misconfiguration of the user. Upload your entire EFI folder and if you have used MultiBeast to install 3rd party Kext move those into the EFI/Clover/Kexts/other folder before upload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back