Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt Driver ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thanks, yeah I'm on F7 and Alpine ridge. I have hotplug working on one port using SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml from @kgp with a modification for the Z370. See screenshots below. Not sure if this made a difference but, before flashing to F7, I flashed to F10, then loaded Windows and initialized the card. I saw on the webpage for the card, GIGABYTE listed F10 needed for full compatability with Windows and I wasn't getting hotplug with F7 and Windows. I then Flashed back to F7 (without removing Alpine ridge card), loaded Mojave, loaded kgp's SSDT, and I had hotplug working on one port. When kgp's profile says retired, does that mean from his career, or from posting on here?

Wow! So I went into my config file and put in my Thunderbolt patches in the "Sorted Order" section. I also checked the "FixIPIC" and "Fix Headers" boxes. Still no "power-swap" for the Apollo 8 Quad back (re-sensed and connected via the driver -after powering down the interface and later powering it back up.) Did you alter any UUID field in a DTGP patch for the Thunderbolt? Or did you just do find/replace RP05 to RP21? Please and thank you... (Oh, IDK but I think KGP is just taking a well-deserved break. Maybe we'll see him around at the end of the summer...)

Would you mind sharing your Thunderbolt patch?

One more thing: Is CSM disabled in your BIOS? It's disabled in mine when I created the "true UEFI" Windows install. I had to reactivate both of my Thunderbolt devices in Windows when I installed F13v2.

Attachments

• ACPI Patched shot.png
    ACPI Patched shot.png
    20 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Wow! So I went into my config file and put in my Thunderbolt patches in the "Sorted Order" section. I also checked the "FixIPIC" and "Fix Headers" boxes. Still no "power-swap" for the Apollo 8 Quad back (re-sensed and connected via the driver -after powering down the interface and later powering it back up.) Did you alter any UUID field in a DTGP patch for the Thunderbolt? Or did you just do find/replace RP05 to RP21? Please and thank you... (Oh, IDK but I think KGP is just taking a well-deserved break. Maybe we'll see him around at the end of the summer...)

Would you mind sharing your Thunderbolt patch?

One more thing: Is CSM disabled in your BIOS? It's disabled in mine when I created the "true UEFI" Windows install. I had to reactivate both of my Thunderbolt devices in Windows when I installed F13v2.
Hey,
CSM is enabled in my BIOS. I think it is by default.

So @Gothic4684 just gave me all their SSDT files and hotplug is still working (on only one TB port) with those files instead, and my system report is looking much better. I copied them to my patched folder (after removing my .aml files). After doing that I also removed the entries in sorted order, in Clover config and I still have hotswap. As for the checkboxes (FixIPIC and FixHeaders), I don't know what they are for. Clover just came like that after doing my vanilla install (no Tonymac tools, apart from kextbeast to install USB inject all kext) My level of knowledge is very beginner at the moment. I've been trying to find out what DTGP or UUID even are. Therefore, I can confirm that I have not personally altered any UUID field in a DTGP patch. I seem to be able to have hotplug working whether I have a DTGP file in the patched folder or not. I believe that RP05 is replaced with RP21 in the SSDT file - that I know how to do, but I didn't do it myself on this file. I've attached @Gothic4684's patched folder here. I built my friend an identical machine to mine, and after getting TB hotswap working on mine, I tried on his to no avail. It's super frustrating. Perhaps the clean install of Windows (on F10) and then clean install of Mojave (on F7) was the key, because I didn't do that with his, but who knows. At this point, I feel like reading tea leave may have the same chance of success as any of the other steps, just because I have no idea what I'm doing. I hope thunderbolt sticks around long enough for documenting in hackintoshes to get up to scratch. Info is super patchy and not very accessible to beginners.

So you're sticking with BIOS F13v2? I was under the impression that F7 was mandatory for our mobo and TB functionality?

Attachments

• patched.zip
    14.8 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Hey,
CSM is enabled in my BIOS. I think it is by default.

So @Gothic4684 just gave me all their SSDT files and hotplug is still working (on only one TB port) with those files instead, and my system report is looking much better. I copied them to my patched folder (after removing my .aml files). After doing that I also removed the entries in sorted order, in Clover config and I still have hotswap. As for the checkboxes (FixIPIC and FixHeaders), I don't know what they are for. Clover just came like that after doing my vanilla install (no Tonymac tools, apart from kextbeast to install USB inject all kext) My level of knowledge is very beginner at the moment. I've been trying to find out what DTGP or UUID even are. Therefore, I can confirm that I have not personally altered any UUID field in a DTGP patch. I seem to be able to have hotplug working whether I have a DTGP file in the patched folder or not. I believe that RP05 is replaced with RP21 in the SSDT file - that I know how to do, but I didn't do it myself on this file. I've attached @Gothic4684's patched folder here. I built my friend an identical machine to mine, and after getting TB hotswap working on mine, I tried on his to no avail. It's super frustrating. Perhaps the clean install of Windows (on F10) and then clean install of Mojave (on F7) was the key, because I didn't do that with his, but who knows. At this point, I feel like reading tea leave may have the same chance of success as any of the other steps, just because I have no idea what I'm doing. I hope thunderbolt sticks around long enough for documenting in hackintoshes to get up to scratch. Info is super patchy and not very accessible to beginners.

So you're sticking with BIOS F13v2? I was under the impression that F7 was mandatory for our mobo and TB functionality?

Thank you!

Well, my BIOS upgrade was for Titan Ridge support. It has microcode patches built in -it was reported that there were, uh... "issues" with the QC of the stock F13 from Gigabyte) so the microcode fixes supposed to be applied before Clover starts, the idea being that if the patches are loaded at this stage, it precludes having to place the burden on the OS. I don't know if it's actually working or not. I have the Titan Ridge Card. It's the only add-in card (AIC) that allows both TB3 ports to work in Mac OS X. Each time I installed an AIC, I had to "initialize/wake up" the card in Windows 10 for it to be recognized later in Mac OS X. FWIW, alll physical ports and all manner of hot-swap work in Windows 10, whether I'm using Alpine or Titan Ridge.

As @jb007 and I have discussed, I think pursuing hot swap on this board is at best a waste of time. If your devices work, just power them up before booting the machine.

Thank you!

Well, my BIOS upgrade was for Titan Ridge support. It has microcode patches built in -it was reported that there were, uh... "issues" with the QC of the stock F13 from Gigabyte) so the microcode fixes supposed to be applied before Clover starts, the idea being that if the patches are loaded at this stage, it precludes having to place the burden on the OS. I don't know if it's actually working or not. I have the Titan Ridge Card. It's the only add-in card (AIC) that allows both TB3 ports to work in Mac OS X. Each time I installed an AIC, I had to "initialize/wake up" the card in Windows 10 for it to be recognized later in Mac OS X. FWIW, alll physical ports and all manner of hot-swap work in Windows 10, whether I'm using Alpine or Titan Ridge.

As @jb007 and I have discussed, I think pursuing hot swap on this board is at best a waste of time. If your devices work, just power them up before booting the machine.
Thanks, well I have hotswap working on one port in Mojave, I just can't seem to be able to replicate it on my friend's machine. Yeah, initializing using Windows on card install is fine, so long as I don't need to boot windows every time I want to use thunderbolt, which I don't have to do at the moment.

So I don't have to stick with F7 BIOS?

Last edited:
I’ve had hotswap working on the gaming 7 only with my OCW TB3 10GBe network card. It does not require any patches in the ACPI/patch dir to achieve this.
With my eGPU on my Z390 Designare with builtin TB3 Titan Ridge, I can get it to work (could not on gaming 7) only if I have no patches!
Hot plug still remains elusive for my eGPU on all motherboards including a gigabyte Z390 Pro.
I don’t have any audio devices to test hot plug functionality.

From what I've read from Gigabyte is that the only hotplug that will work on the Z390 and the UAD stuff has to be true/native TB3. It's not backwards compatible for the rackmount units with the Thunderbolt 2-type connectors. Those users have to get a Thunderbolt 3 card for their Apollo unit. https://www.uaudio.com/review/thunderbolt-3-option-card/#second-nav

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back