Contribute
Register

The Perfect Customac-Pro: X99-A II, i7-6950X, 128GB G.Skill TridentZ, Aorus GTX 1080 TI Xtreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm running Rampage V Extreme, 5960X and same RAM with GTX 950 - it seems my installation USB just hangs with a circle error (diagonal line) after the PCI Begin thing, at least what verbose mode shows.

Do you know of any culprit to my config functioning? If you're aware of any diff...

I just use 3 drives in RAID 0 configuration. No issues at all with Sierra. Everything recognized as expected.

Are you using software RAID built within Disk Utility? The more I read about this "Intel Rapid Storage", the less I believe it can work. It's not a true RAID controller. It relies on software running at the OS level. Without anything available for Mac OS, it will never support RAID. Are you saying that within the BIOS you created a striped volume and you can see that volume in Disk Utility or the 3 separate disks?

Why was @kgp suspended? Such a helpful fella got suspended. :(

Might be because he has a link to a prohibited website in his guide.

Might be because he has a link to a prohibited website in his guide.
We do not suspend anyone for posting links to prohibited websites. Those posts are removed.

@kgp was suspended for breaking a rule that warranted a suspension.

Why was @kgp suspended? Such a helpful fella got suspended. :(

Seems that I am online again. Apparently my suspension was based on a technical misunderstanding and mistake at my side. Two nearly identical replies on the two latest Tonymacx86 threads related to Nvidia Pascal Drivers and the Nvidia Pascal Graphics Cards Buyer's Guide unfortunately resulted in the immediate suspension of my account ("You have been banned for the following reason: Disregarding Forum Policies on Duplicate threads."). In my opinion, a simple notification and advise also would have been more than sufficient. Sometimes to me it appears very difficult to totally understand and always properly follow all forum policies. I regret for any inconvenience possibly caused by my temporary suspension as I also regret for the delay of missing replies related to my thread.

Let's go ahead and rock X99! :thumbup:

Are you using software RAID built within Disk Utility? The more I read about this "Intel Rapid Storage", the less I believe it can work. It's not a true RAID controller. It relies on software running at the OS level. Without anything available for Mac OS, it will never support RAID. Are you saying that within the BIOS you created a striped volume and you can see that volume in Disk Utility or the 3 separate disks?

Honestly, I was building my RAID-0 configuration long time ago by means of the BIOS of a Gigabyte X79-mobo. I was not using "software RAID built" within Disk Utility! When changing to the ASUS X99-A II, I simply connected the three individual drives to the new ASUS-mobo. The RAID-0 configuration was immediately recognized and adapted out of the box without any further interaction of myself with the mobo-BIOS or Sierra.

See the System.Info.png attached below:

Storage.png

Apple's Disk Utility provides the following information depicted below:

Disk-Utility.png

I therefore see no reason why one should not be able to build a RAID by means of the BIOS of the ASUS X99-A II, ASUS X99 Deluxe II and derivatives, which will be fully recognized by Sierra.

Last edited:
I'm running Rampage V Extreme, 5960X and same RAM with GTX 950 - it seems my installation USB just hangs with a circle error (diagonal line) after the PCI Begin thing, at least what verbose mode shows.

Do you know of any culprit to my config functioning? If you're aware of any diff...

Please check once more your config.plist, as well as /kexts/10.12/ and /driver64UEFI/ directories! Please carefully read and exactly follow my guide. It works! :thumbup:

The Guide KGP referenced has a name at the top he thanks that is not on this board that is where the audio and another guide can be found.

Kevin

Sorry about this late quoting, but only thing which brings me back to pull the trigger on this kind of build is the lack of sleep/wake facility, which is a no-go for me.

In that guide referenced by KGP, sleep/working shows at supported, so, are there any improvements in that topic? My knowledge of this platform is not enough to see crucial differences...That's why I¡m asking here.

If this question is out of scope, please pay no attention to this message.

Thanks.

Please check once more your config.plist, as well as /kexts/10.12/ and /driver64UEFI/ directories! Please carefully read and exactly follow my guide. It works! :thumbup:

Yes, it does. Running my 5960X/128GB/GTX950 fine. Couldn't make xcpm work as per your instructions (would get a hang) or Pike's for that matter. I don't think it matters tho, the CPU seems to work according to Intel Power meter. My output for the stats reads max freq. as 25GHz which is probably an error, but it tops out at 4.0GHz at Cinebench (expected 1550ish at 4.0GHz) so I guess even Geekbench 4 which can't make CPU run at max is actually that way? My power usage readings are a joke too, tho, getting 0,61W at idle and load. Temperature seems fine under AIO Corsair H115i water, about 39ºC at idle 4.0GHz and 60ish at full load with Geekbench scores at 4700/32000 and change.

Thanks for your assistance. What actually helped is that I've skipped using tools - just wen't for Clover and put suggested kexts and patches without too many modifications.

Now, what bothers me - I had to physically remove Asus Xonar PCI amp card from the slot to install, but putting it back did not break the boot. I presume during install, the boot tries forcibly to init all PCI devices it finds. On already installed boot it seems not.

Did you just drop 1080Ti in without changes or you had to make any after 980Ti? Also, are the changes required for dual GPU? So far I've read about making your cards registered as GFX1 and GFX1 (both 1, yes) to make it work since MPro 2013 (6,1) works that way, but there are different instructions too....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back