Contribute
Register

The Perfect Customac-Pro: X99-A II, i7-6950X, 128GB G.Skill TridentZ, Aorus GTX 1080 TI Xtreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm waiting for the new nvidia pascal drivers and i'll try, if i succeed or not i'll post here!

I would also add: Make sure to update BIOS for you X99-Pro to latest... that should give you much better chance of all the BIOS settings being similar/identical to the X99-A II
:headbang:

:thumbup:

i'm waiting for the new nvidia pascal drivers and i'll try, if i succeed or not i'll post here!

o.k. :thumbup: @BoomR 's comment concerning the X99-Pro BIOS is very important. You can already download the latest X99-Pro BIOS version and have a look whether all BIOS settings discussed in my guide can be applied also in case of the X99-Pro...

Yes, my bios is on the latest version, my only concern to be honest is about the cpu (kexts for the cpu).

Yes, my bios is on the latest version, my only concern to be honest is about the cpu (kexts for the cpu).

That's the point I would less worry about... In the worst case you live with the old Intel CPU power management although I am very positive that also xcpm will work with the correct KernelToKext-patches. BIOS setting options are however crucial.

kgp,

I've been looking at building something to replace my aging (real) 5,1 and found your excellent build description. I'm placing an order matching what I saw here. Sorry for the deluge of questions, I will post my findings as I go along with the build.

I'm ordering the X99-Deluxe II on the assumption I can bond both ethernet ports as I currently do on my 5,1. Is that a valid assumption? If I cannot bond both ports, there is no reason for the Deluxe II. Better yet would be a 10G Ethernet but I have yet to find something that works on a Mac. I've tried a "Tehuti networks" 10G copper adapter (which has Mac drivers) but it proved to be too unreliable.

Will the built-in Wifi/BT4 work as a "native handoff, etc."? If the X99-A II had two Ethernet ports, I would probably go that route along with the osxwifi you indicated. If the Deluxe II Wifi doesn't work like a native Wifi, I will simply disable it and get the osxwifi (I need both Ethernet and Wifi for what I do).

When setting up a RAID through the BIOS, using the "Intel Rapid Storage", will this be seen by the (Mac) OS? This will be for data only. Boot will be off SSD.

Finally, has anybody tried using 3 monitors? I currently use a 27" 4K (DP) and 2 x 27" (HDMI) off a (flashed) GTX 780.

Thanks!

X99-Deluxe II on the assumption I can bond both ethernet ports

Only one port works, the other one doesn't (works only 10sec with the right kext). They don't use the same chipsets, that's why.

When setting up a RAID through the BIOS, using the "Intel Rapid Storage", will this be seen by the (Mac) OS?

I'm pretty sure it will, but I can't confirm.

kgp,

I've been looking at building something to replace my aging (real) 5,1 and found your excellent build description. I'm placing an order matching what I saw here. Sorry for the deluge of questions, I will post my findings as I go along with the build.

I'm ordering the X99-Deluxe II on the assumption I can bond both ethernet ports as I currently do on my 5,1. Is that a valid assumption? If I cannot bond both ports, there is no reason for the Deluxe II. Better yet would be a 10G Ethernet but I have yet to find something that works on a Mac. I've tried a "Tehuti networks" 10G copper adapter (which has Mac drivers) but it proved to be too unreliable.

Will the built-in Wifi/BT4 work as a "native handoff, etc."? If the X99-A II had two Ethernet ports, I would probably go that route along with the osxwifi you indicated. If the Deluxe II Wifi doesn't work like a native Wifi, I will simply disable it and get the osxwifi (I need both Ethernet and Wifi for what I do).

When setting up a RAID through the BIOS, using the "Intel Rapid Storage", will this be seen by the (Mac) OS? This will be for data only. Boot will be off SSD.

Finally, has anybody tried using 3 monitors? I currently use a 27" 4K (DP) and 2 x 27" (HDMI) off a (flashed) GTX 780.

Thanks!

I was on the way to forward your questions concerning the X99-Deluxe II to @Thireus who he already replied :thumbup:. @Thireus, what about the build-in X99 Deluxe II Wifi, does it work like native Wifi, does it work at all?

The osxwifi Wifi/BT4 shall work as native handoff etc. If you have a dual boot system with windows, I can also provide the windows 10 drivers. I already purchased the card but it has not been delivered yet to my place in Europe. Typical annoying problems with the customs I guess....

My RAID, setup through the BIOS of a GA-X79-UP4 v1.1, is fully recognized by MacOS Sierra.

There have been several discussions along my thread concerning the use of even up to 8 monitors. I would simply refer to these individual posts you can easily look at.

And yes.. please post your findings as you go along with the build. Any feedback or further input will be appreciated by everybody! :thumbup:

Last edited:
@Thireus and @kgp

Thank you both. I just placed the order (Deluxe II, 6950X, 960 PRO M.2, G.Skill RAM, etc.) We'll see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back