Contribute
Register

The Perfect Customac-Pro: X99-A II, i7-6950X, 128GB G.Skill TridentZ, Aorus GTX 1080 TI Xtreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
in your case, NvmExpressDxe-64.efi is the key for clover to see your drive at boot, if your bios don't see the drive, you can just use any efi partition from any drive on your system to hold the clover EFI folder and tell clover to boot OSX on that EVO 960.

The problem was that the EVO 960 M.2 1TB did neither show up in the clover boot menu nor in the disk utility, after cloning from my SATA SSD. However, this morning after 12 hours rest, after a complete shutdown and reboot of the system the M.2 was suddenly there. Of course you are totally right, once the EVO 960 M.2 1TB shows up in the clover boot menu, you can also boot the system from this disk although it is not recognized by the Asus X99-A II mainboard. However, clover has to be initialized by booting from an EFI partition located on a standard SATA SSD or HDD recognized by the Asus X99-A II mainboard.

Thus finally I can recommend the following procedure:

1.) Patch the IONVMeFamily.kext on your SATA SSD or HDD, following the procedure provided and described in detail by Nickwoodhams, who also refers to the IONVMeFamily.kext patch provided by RehabMan on github. The important step is that you you rename the patched kext in the temporary directory to IONVMeFamily.kext. Subsequently remove the original IONVMeFamily.kext in the S/L/E directory on your SATA SSD or HDD and install the patched IONVMeFamily.kext in the S/L/E directory by means of the kext utility. Copy the patched IONVMeFamily.kext to the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12/ directory of the EFI partition on your SATA SSD or HDD.

2.) Once recognized by Apple's Disk Utility, clone your actual SATA SSD System Drive to the 1TB EVO 960 M.2 SSD Drive, including the EFI partition.

Although the 1 TB EVO 960 M.2 SSD Drive will not be recognized by the Asus X99-A II mainboard, you will be able to boot the cloned 1 TB EVO 960 M.2 system partition from the clover boot loader menu, which has to be previously initialized by booting an EFI partition located on a standard SATA SSD or HDD drive, which is recognized by your mainboard.

Current limitations of this approach: The EVO 960 M.2 1TB only shows up in the clover boot menu and disk utility after a complete shutdown and subsequent reboot of the system (confirmed!). Surprisingly after successfully booting your system, the EVO 960 M.2 1TB is still implemented as an external drive, although it harbors the running and active system (i.e., it is the active system disk).

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 11.39.12.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 11.40.55.png

Last edited:
I clearly commented repeatedly that one should avoid M.2 SSDs at present :!: Based on your post, I committed several tests with a Samsung EVO 960 1TB myself. :banghead: This specific 1 TB M.2 SSD seems not to be recognized by the board. :thumbdown I do not know if this is due to the actual BIOS 14.01 or due to the board architecture in general and therefore I do not know either if this particular 1TB M.2 SSD will be ever supported by the X99-A II :crazy:. The workaround you describe above does not work at all! :thumbdownBy this workaround, the EVO 960 1TB is indeed ones recognized by Apples Disk Utility as an external drive, thus one is able to clone the system from a regular SATA-SSD. o_O However, after reboot, the fully configured 1TB EVO 960 is neither recognized by the BIOS nor by Apples Disk Utility (System):banghead:. Following this weird behavior, it seems to be totally impossible to use the 1TB EVO 960 as a boot-able system drive but also totally impossible to use this particular M.2 SSD even as a simple data storage drive :mad:. Helpful comments by others are very welcome. However, I once more encourage the user to stay with the hardware suggestions provided in my build, in this particular case i.e. to stay with regular SATA SSDs and to avoid M.2 SSDs in any case :!:. My experience gained with the EVO 960 1TB during one awful day was anything else than promising :banghead:! It was a TWoM (Total Waste of Money) and a TWoE (Total Waste of Energy). A 450 $ experiment, just leading to nowhere.. I even cannot return the disk to the vendor, as it is crowded with personal data, which cannot be erased due to the apparent inaccessibility :oops:.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/

Apparently outdated post and instructions provided by the link above... See RehabMan on GitHub, 10.12 Update, Usage!

That's incorrect. The link I provided is the currently recommended way to add NVMe support and links to RehabMan on GitHub ? It is also where you would post for support....

Have you created the SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml correctly according to your system? This step is important as it's preventing the IONVMeFamily.kext from loading in the system so you can see your drive plus it has a line of code to make macOS recognize your drive as internal.

According to what you described in your post, The drive shows up sometimes and as external, I would look closely at the SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml. And make sure you have this driver NvmExpressDxe-64.efi in your clover drivers64UEFI folder.

My hack is an 5yrs old system and the mainboard doesn't see my m.2 drive, I just used my windows 10 drive ssd's efi partition to hold clover bootloader. I used my m.2 drive for macOS boot drive and it's working fine.

Nearly everything solved so far! I updated my previous comment and added a short m.2 guide towards the end of my originating post. I finally followed the procedure provided and described in detail by Nickwoodhams, who also refers to the IONVMeFamily.kext patch provided by RehabMan on github.

By the way, I could not find at any place the NvmExpressDxe-64.efi you repeatedly mention above. Do you think this file is needed in addition to the patched IONVMeFamily.kext? What is its function? Does it work with Sierra 10.12.3?

Cheers and many thanks for your reply!

!!! Update - 6 March 2017 !!!
After a firmware update for the update Smasung EVO 960, the m.2 drive now also always shows up in the Asus X99-A II bios, clover boot menu, system info and disk utility, also after a simple reboot. Before a complete shutdown and subsequent reboot have been necessary. Thanks to the instructions of giacomoleopardo, the m.2 SSD is now also recognized as an internal drive by the system. Please see the update of my guide in the originating post.

System Info.png

Disk Utility.png

Last edited:
That's incorrect. The link I provided is the currently recommended way to add NVMe support and links to RehabMan on GitHub ? It is also where you would post for support....

Many thanks for your fruitful comment and reply! However, I finally decided to follow the instructions provided by Nickwoodhams, who also refers to the IONVMeFamily.kext patch provided by RehabMan on github. I also updated my previous comments in consequence and added a short m.2 guide towards the end of my originating post.

Cheers and once more many thanks for your kind help!

i have a hard time trying to get the "Samsung 960 EVO" running in my system.
i cant see it in BIOS, System Information or Disk Utility.
i dont even know if it's not defective.. very frustrating

i tried the following:

- Disabled CSM in BIOS/BOOT
- followed this guide: link (spoofed the IONVMeFamily.kext, created a HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_3.kext and copied to EFI/CLOVER/kext/10.2
- patched my config.plist link (won't boot, so i removed it again)

Im googling to death :mad: so any hint appreciated!

Hi dennz, I guess I finally might have solved your problems and issues with the Samsung 960 EVO M.2 drive :wave:. Please have a look to the new appendix towards the end of my guide in the originating post ;). Good luck! :thumbup::wave: You owe me 450$, which I invested to solve your problems and issues :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
O.K., many thanks although this guide does not look to me very complete. In any case I already solved all issues and I added a new m.2 guide towards the end of my originating post.

Cheers

Well, I haven't tried that method with a Samsung drive. Mine is Intel, so maybe that somehow makes a difference. Not sure. I just remember that I followed aforementioned guide and got my m.2 drive to work on initial attempt. Beginners luck, perhaps.

Either way, I'm glad you got yours to work and posted a comprehensive guide for others facing a similar issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back