Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Thank you for answering.

... the HUBs are USB 3.0 .. so why are they recognised as USB 2.0 ?

EDIT:
and of course they are connected to blue or red usb-connectors on the back side.

Last edited:
Thank you for answering.

... the HUBs are USB 3.0 .. so why are they recognised as USB 2.0 ?

EDIT:
and of course they are connected to blue or red usb-connectors on the back side.

Sorry I didn't answer fully...

Yes, but you only have 1x SS (USB3) port defined as such - and as expected it is delivering the correct speed with a flash drive plugged in.

You can't connect a device to an HS** port and expect anything other than USB2 speeds. Yes, it may be blue or red but will only run at higher speeds through its SS persona. Remember each USB port has both.

So revisit your port configuration and activate the SS too.

ok ... i do not understand this !

for testing purposes I did the following:

OC 0.7.1, OCC 2.46.1.0, HackinTool 3.6.2, macOS11.5, Aorus Pro Z390 Bios F12J

(discovered all USBPorts with USB2.0 & USB3.0 FlashDrive.
What I have noticed here is that my USB2.0 FlashDrives are not recognised on my USB3.0 Ports !!
.... so maybe wrong BIOS settings ?)

1. in EFI Folder is USBInjecktAll.kext / XhcPortLimit = yes / only 1 USB3 FlashDrive connected & detected correctly

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-24 um 08.28.13.png

2. i´ve deleted all other USB ports except HS11 because of the Bluetooth & the ITE Device (whatever ITE is)

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-24 um 08.31.31.png

3. Exported USBPorts.kext and put it into EFI, deleted USBInjectAll.kext & removed from config.plist,
also unchecked XhciPortLimit.

4. Shutdown & connect 1 4xUSB3.0-Hub to the USB3.0 connector on the backside
(the same where my USBDrive was connected before)
To that HUB connect are also 2 USB2.0 Harddrives & 1 USB3.0 CardReader with
1 CF-Card & 1 SD-Card inserted.

5. boot into macOS & .... nothing !

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-24 um 08.56.27.png

... so what I am doing wrong here ?

ok ... i do not understand this !

for testing purposes I did the following:

OC 0.7.1, OCC 2.46.1.0, HackinTool 3.6.2, macOS11.5, Aorus Pro Z390 Bios F12J

(discovered all USBPorts with USB2.0 & USB3.0 FlashDrive.
What I have noticed here is that my USB2.0 FlashDrives are not recognised on my USB3.0 Ports !!
.... so maybe wrong BIOS settings ?)

1. in EFI Folder is USBInjecktAll.kext / XhcPortLimit = yes / only 1 USB3 FlashDrive connected & detected correctly

View attachment 525355

2. i´ve deleted all other USB ports except HS11 because of the Bluetooth & the ITE Device (whatever ITE is)

View attachment 525356

3. Exported USBPorts.kext and put it into EFI, deleted USBInjectAll.kext & removed from config.plist,
also unchecked XhciPortLimit.

4. Shutdown & connect 1 4xUSB3.0-Hub to the USB3.0 connector on the backside
(the same where my USBDrive was connected before)
To that HUB connect are also 2 USB2.0 Harddrives & 1 USB3.0 CardReader with
1 CF-Card & 1 SD-Card inserted.

5. boot into macOS & .... nothing !

View attachment 525357

... so what I am doing wrong here ?

Okay.

I can check your USBPorts.kext. Upload your complete EFI folder as a zip archive, with the serial-number removed from config.plist.

:)

That would be fine, thank you !

In the archive is my "very minimalistic unhappy" version of my configuration.
If possible, I would really need the 4 USB2.0 ports on the back of my tower.
With this version the USB3.0 4xHUB and its devices on SS05 is correctly recognised,
the second USB3.0 7xHUB on SS08 is recognised as HUB but not recognising the devices on it!
(Connected to the 7xHUB: 1x USB2.0 S-VideoCapturing Device, 1x USB3.0 HDMItoUSB VideoCapture,
1x iPhone, 3x FTDI-RS232)
Only thing that's working on that 7xHUB is charging my iPhone.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-24 um 18.40.06.png

ITE Device (i don´t know what this is :angel:)

Also, as I told before, it is strange that my USB2.0 FlashDrives are not recognized @USB3.0 Ports !

Attachments

• EFI-Tony.zip
    9.6 MB · Views: 46
good morning !

I was playing around again with my usb-port configuration and noticed the following:

1. USBInjectAll.kext / XhciPortLimit = checked / no SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
2. discovered all my USB ports but this time I did not delete the unnecessary ports and
just exported the configuration.
3. put USBPorts.kext and SSDT-EC-USBX.aml to their right places, deleted USBInjectAll &
unchecked Xhci Port limit.
reboot and did a NVRAM reset.

... now I get this:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-25 um 08.29.01.png

I don't know if this has something to do because macOS is ripping down the USBPorts to 15,
but why is it changing the SS ports down to HS ?

good morning !

I was playing around again with my usb-port configuration and noticed the following:

1. USBInjectAll.kext / XhciPortLimit = checked / no SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
2. discovered all my USB ports but this time I did not delete the unnecessary ports and
just exported the configuration.
3. put USBPorts.kext and SSDT-EC-USBX.aml to their right places, deleted USBInjectAll &
unchecked Xhci Port limit.
reboot and did a NVRAM reset.

... now I get this:

View attachment 525438

I don't know if this has something to do because macOS is ripping down the USBPorts to 15,
but why is it changing the SS ports down to HS ?

In your first picture you have the normal 15-ports Apple allows without any hackintosh modifications. Because of the way they are numbered and addressed in the registry those 15 are all the USB2 ports (14) plus either a USR1 or SS01 port, depending on setup.

In your second picture you have an active port-limit removal system in place and now all the ports the Z390 chipset has, are available to work with.

The Intel Z390 has a maximum of 14x USB2 ports and 10x USB3 ports. All those USB3 ports can also operate in USB2 mode if required. Usually the way the PC ACPI tables are coded is, for example, HS01 to be the USB2 persona of the SS01 USB3 port, up to HS10 being SS10's. HS11 - HS14 tend to be the USB2-only ports and very often these are present on your motherboard as either black, back-panel sockets or internal headers.

When we calculate our 15x permitted ports we have to bear in mind that despite the above - HS01 and SS01 are counted as two ports in macOS. So a Z390 can have a total of 24 active ports which is why we deactivate some by testing for ones we will not usually use.

... Thank You ! Got it to work now 95% like I would :angel:,
but one question left behind:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-25 um 17.45.09.png Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-25 um 17.43.18.png

My system is now recognising the hubs and usb2.0 flashdisks correctly.
But the USB Video device should be @5Gbps and not @480MBbps.
It's connected to the SS08/HS08 7xHUB. All other devices connected to this HUB are
USB2.0. ... Is there still an error in my configuration or does the HUB simply takes
the slowest device in its chain for all other devices ?

No they don't take the slowest device. The device will work at the speed it is capable of using, if it is USB2 then it will work/show as 480Mbps. If it is USB3 capable it will work/show at up to 5GHz.

The only time a USB3 device will work at USB2 speed is when it is connected to a USB2 port instead of a USB3 port.

You would need to look in your IOReg to see which of the two ports the camera is connecting through, HS08/USB2 or SS08/USB3.

Coming from this thread, I'm about to redo all the port mapping steps from scratch as it may be a reason for my power issues.
Problem is, I've been on Big Sur since 11.4 came out (I'm on 11.5.1 right now) and as long as XhciPortLimit is enabled, all of my USB ports stop working (except for one). Thus making it impossible to do the port mapping properly.
I could simply leave XPL turned off, but I assume that this patch has to be some meaning, otherwise it wouldn't be part of the guide? However, as @Edhawk pointed out in the other thread, only my first 15 ports are active no matter what we tried.

If I ignore that and try to map my ports anyway (USBInjectAll present and enabled, while XhciPortLimit remains off), all of my ports respond as HS, but never SS, even though 4 of them are definitely USB 3 ports. I tried both USB 2 and USB 3 devices, yet it's always HS (plus, there is at least one USB 3 port that isn't even responding at all, unless I plug in a USB 2 device).

This doesn't seem right at all and I'm not sure if there's much sense in proceeding.

Is this due to the missing XhciPortLimit patch?
Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 18.57.00.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 18.57.00.png
    889.8 KB · Views: 41
Back