Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Ok so I just did the following:
  1. deleted USBPorts.kext out of /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
  2. copied latest USBInjectAll.kext from here - I hope copying is enough? Because Multibeast just installs it in /Librabry/Extensions, which I was advised against by pastrychef
  3. Enabled the port limit removal patches (for 10.15 only) again, see attachements
  4. After reboot, here is the current IOReg export, see attachements
Could you have a look again @UtterDisbelief ? :)

Attachments

• Port limit patches 10.15 enabled.png
    Port limit patches 10.15 enabled.png
    180.2 KB · Views: 88
  • config.plist
    12.5 KB · Views: 64
  • iMac Pro_w:_USBInjectAll.ioreg
    6.8 MB · Views: 88
  • Hackintool_w:_USBInjectall.png
    Hackintool_w:_USBInjectall.png
    180.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Ok so I just did the following:
  1. deleted USBPorts.kext out of /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
  2. copied latest USBInjectAll.kext from here - I hope copying is enough? Because Multibeast just installs it in /Librabry/Extensions, which I was advised against by pastrychef
  3. Enabled the port limit removal patches (for 10.15 only) again, see attachements
  4. After reboot, here is the current IOReg export, see attachements
Could you have a look again @UtterDisbelief ? :)

Hi there.

Great!

You now have all XHCI USB ports enumerated correctly and present. :thumbup:

Everything about the USB ports is showing correctly in IOReg and Hackintool.

No problem putting USBInjectAll.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

:)

Okay, before we tackle USB ...

A few suggestions for config.plist if hardware is as your profile. I may be wrong so take care experimenting:

1) The only ACPI Rename you need is probably the HDAS to HDEF.

2) Un-tick all the ACPI "Fixes" and then tick the "FixShutdown" one.

3) Remove boot-flag "-disablegfxfirmware"

4) In the Graphics section deselect "InjectATI" (un-tick if using Clover Configurator).

Right, on to USB:

Your motherboard has 7x USB3 ports and 2x USB2 ports. This makes for a maximum number of ports of 16x.

Therefore you should see HS01 to HS14 and SS01 to SS07 in Hackintool. However it is possible Gigabyte have altered the usual layout and the port numbers do not correlate.

I get the impression you have USBInjectAll.kext installed in Library/Extensions ? It should not be used if USBPorts.ext is in place. Otherwise it will just confuse the scenario.

You can use USBInjectAll and the port-limit removal patches to open up all possible ports, however Gigabyte do not implement the full contingent on such a small motherboard. USBInjectAll will still open all it finds and the patch aims to reveal 26. Hence the USR ports.

I take it you have removed Gigabyte's default wifi/BT card and installed your own Broadcom one?

Let me know how you get on, then we can move forward.

It was the same. I think that there is something wrong with the Hackintool when you open it the first time with usbinject all. If you disable just one port and use that kext instead it shows everything correctly.

Here's a screenshots with usbinjectall and patches. Hackintool thinks there is something in USR2 and Bluetooth USB host controller is in HS08 and SS08. IORegistryExplorer shows correctly bluetooth only in HS08 and USR2 is empty.

I left SS08 just to be safe and disabled USR2 with the rest.

I wonder if Hackintool is correct and USR2 is used although there is nothing visible in it in IORegistryExplorer. But then again if I disable just one random port and install that kext then Hackintool no longer shows anything in SS08 and USR2 so that makes me think that on the first screenshot SS08 and USR2 is not correct.

Another question. On your screenshot there is Bluetooth USB Host Controller and according to your screenshots you disabled it also? You didn't lose Bluetooth? If I disable HS08 Bluetooth USB Host Controller, then Magic keyboard and Magic Mouse stops working. Bluetooth is Apple Card with adapter on M.2 slot.

Näyttökuva 2020-1-5 kello 12.03.53.png

Näyttökuva 2020-1-5 kello 12.03.59.png

Last edited:
Hi there.

Great!

You now have all XHCI USB ports enumerated correctly and present. :thumbup:

Everything about the USB ports is showing correctly in IOReg and Hackintool.

No problem putting USBInjectAll.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

Okay thank you @UtterDisbelief :) so you mean I should keep the USBInjectAll.kext now and don’t change anything?
will the red USB 3.1 Ports also work now? I am still a little bit confused

It was the same. I think that there is something wrong with the Hackintool when you open it the first time with usbinject all. If you disable just one port and use that kext instead it shows everything correctly.

Here's a screenshots with usbinjectall and patches. Hackintool thinks there is something in USR2 and Bluetooth USB host controller is in HS08 and SS08. IORegistryExplorer shows correctly bluetooth only in HS08 and USR2 is empty.

I guess it is what it is. It's safe to disable SS08 and USR2 also.

Another question. On your screenshot there is Bluetooth USB Host Controller and according to your screenshots you disabled it also? You didn't lose Bluetooth? If I disable HS08 Bluetooth USB Host Controller, then Magic keyboard and Magic Mouse stops working. Bluetooth is Apple Card with adapter on M.2 slot.

View attachment 443660
View attachment 443661

Hi there.

1) No, I don't think I disabled HS14 which was the Bluetooth header.

2) You are correct, however, that Hackintool does seem to show all ports even when they have been selectively disabled by patch or kext, whereas IORegistryExplorer shows them configured. I am putting this down to either intentional for some reason, or a bug. It has come to light in recent posts from others and I've seen it myself. IORegistryExplorer is my preference but felt the need for something more visual for a Beginner's Guide.

3) In my last post I was saying, great, you are back to being able to see all your available ports. However this is more than the 15 Apple allows. As Hackintool seems to have been causing problems for your build, maybe consider using my other guide to configure them using the USBInjectAll.kext method :thumbup: The only potential problem is moving forward with Catalina and beyond. We will have to wait and see.

Hi there.

1) No, I don't think I disabled HS14 which was the Bluetooth header.

2) You are correct, however, that Hackintool does seem to show all ports even when they have been selectively disabled by patch or kext, whereas IORegistryExplorer shows them configured. I am putting this down to either intentional for some reason, or a bug. It has come to light in recent posts from others and I've seen it myself. IORegistryExplorer is my preference but felt the need for something more visual for a Beginner's Guide.

3) In my last post I was saying, great, you are back to being able to see all your available ports. However this is more than the 15 Apple allows. As Hackintool seems to have been causing problems for your build, maybe consider using my other guide to configure them using the USBInjectAll.kext method :thumbup: The only potential problem is moving forward with Catalina and beyond. We will have to wait and see.

I think that it might be safer to leave SS08 and USR2. So I'm down to 15 now when leaving those also just in case. Here are also screenshots if anyone is interested, first is with usbinjectall + patches, taken after disabling ports and changing some internal. Second is after reboot with usbports.kext (usbinjectall and patches removed).

Thank you for this great guide.

Näyttökuva 2020-1-5 kello 13.09.53.png

Näyttökuva 2020-1-5 kello 13.13.27.png

In my last post I was saying, great, you are back to being able to see all your available ports. However this is more than the 15 Apple allows. As Hackintool seems to have been causing problems for your build, maybe consider using my other guide to configure them using the USBInjectAll.kext method :thumbup: The only potential problem is moving forward with Catalina and beyond. We will have to wait and see.

is this alsoyou advice for my case @UtterDisbelief? :)

is this alsoyou advice for my case @UtterDisbelief? :)

I don't like to tell people what to do because they can sometimes lose data. There are no rules really. I just want you to succeed and am sorry Hackintool did not work for you in this case.

Hello,

First of all thanks for the great tutorial. Bluetooth is now working for me. I had worked with USBinjectall.kext before and the BcrmPatch3.kext did not work. After I created my own USBport.kext, Bluetooth worked. It was super easy with this tutorial. Normally I try to solve the problems myself, but I just can't get anywhere. My problem. Bluetooth is running, but my wired mouse hangs every 10-20 seconds since I created the USBPorts.kext. Now the question, did I create my USBPorts.kext wrong. Please find attached my Config.plist and my USBPorts.kext.
I have attached everything else as a screenshot. My chipset is a Z170 (Skylake 6600K and the mainboard ASUS z170i Gaming Pro). Thanks for the help.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-09 um 13.07.34.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-09 um 13.06.40.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-09 um 13.06.26.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-09 um 13.06.26.png
    236.3 KB · Views: 59
Hello,

First of all thanks for the great tutorial. Bluetooth is now working for me. I had worked with USBinjectall.kext before and the BcrmPatch3.kext did not work. After I created my own USBport.kext, Bluetooth worked. It was super easy with this tutorial. Normally I try to solve the problems myself, but I just can't get anywhere. My problem. Bluetooth is running, but my wired mouse hangs every 10-20 seconds since I created the USBPorts.kext. Now the question, did I create my USBPorts.kext wrong. Please find attached my Config.plist and my USBPorts.kext.
I have attached everything else as a screenshot. My chipset is a Z170 (Skylake 6600K and the mainboard ASUS z170i Gaming Pro). Thanks for the help.

View attachment 444249View attachment 444250

Hello there.

No, you didn't do anything wrong. I do ave a few recommendations though, that might be useful.

1) First, most obvious test you can do is move the wired mouse connection to a different port. I guess you might already have tried this. Was the mouse still hanging every few seconds?

2) I'm curious as to why you think the wired-mouse problem might be related to getting Bluetooth working... Has something made you believe they are connected? If so, which Bluetooth adapter are you using?

3) No need to include the USR ports in your 15. As you can see in IORegistryExplorer they are appearing between the HS and SS ports (yes, they are at the bottom of the list but check their enumerators).

4) You haven't stated which version of macOs you are using. This can be relevant to the CrsActiveConfig setting you are using.

Last edited:
Back