Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Hi, first off... the guide is great.

But I can't get it to work. I did all the necessary steps and after reboot it looks like the usb.kext isn't being used.

The guide only talks about the usb.kext file, would a SSDT-EC-USBC ACPI patch influence it?

How can you troubleshoot the loading or if a kext is ok?

Kext attached.

Attachments

• USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 46
My BT issues still persist, for the next step I'm going to take a look at the BT guide you posted. I don't want to spam too much since it's all about port mapping here.

But just to report back since we were on that topic. I totally forgot to mention that I already had brcmpatchram2 and brcmfirmwarerepo installed (if I remove them my BT isn't working at all, just did that to confirm).

I just gave it another shot with brcmbluetoothinjector.kext as @Gigamaxx suggested but it all remains the same. BT and WiFi still working, just poor BT performance as always (btw regarding brcmbluetoothinjector, rehabman says "Do not use any of the other kexts (BrcmPatchRAM, BrcmPatchRAM2, BrcmFirmwareRepo, or BrcmFirmwareData) with this kext." so it's either one or the other, no "may also need"). However, didn't make a difference anyway. :(

Hi, first off... the guide is great.

But I can't get it to work. I did all the necessary steps and after reboot it looks like the usb.kext isn't being used.

The guide only talks about the usb.kext file, would a SSDT-EC-USBC ACPI patch influence it?

How can you troubleshoot the loading or if a kext is ok?

Kext attached.

Hi there. Thanks :thumbup:

Did you create the USBPorts.kext on the MSI Z270 motherboard in your profile? The reason I ask is because a Z270 chipset has an XHCI controller with the Device ID of 8086_a2af. However your USBPorts.kext is built with a Device ID of 8086_a12f, which from my experience is a Z170.

The SSDT-EC-USBC.aml is exported automatically by Hackintool if it determines one is needed. Yes, you use this alongside your USBPorts.kext.

:)

Hi there. Thanks :thumbup:

Did you create the USBPorts.kext on the MSI Z270 motherboard in your profile? The reason I ask is because a Z270 chipset has an XHCI controller with the Device ID of 8086_a2af. However your USBPorts.kext is built with a Device ID of 8086_a12f, which from my experience is a Z170.

The SSDT-EC-USBC.aml is exported automatically by Hackintool if it determines one is needed. Yes, you use this alongside your USBPorts.kext.

Ah... see that is missing in that case from your guide :)

And your assumption is totally correct, it is a Z170.. it is a Shuttle Z170 R2 (there is a 3 year old thread about it :) which is a "new" hackintosh I'm building.

So I will add those.. IIRC I need to compile them first.
Also how did you open the kext? Which tool are you using?

And thanks!

Hi UtterDisbelief,
Really thanks for your work.
I do my SSDT with your old beginner guide. I want to try the new one. I have a question first. Do you know why I see in hackintool all my USB port in double ?

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2020-04-14 à 18.56.08.png
    Capture d’écran 2020-04-14 à 18.56.08.png
    703.5 KB · Views: 84
Hi UtterDisbelief,
I do my SSDT with your old beginner guide. I want to try the new one. I have a question first. Do you know why I see in hackintool all my USB port in double ?
you have set almost everything to internal?

Hi UtterDisbelief,

Well as you can see from your screengrab - IORegistryExplorer is showing the correct XHC USB ports. I suspect Hackintool is showing connections to the Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt controller. You have highlighted it in the top panel. Remember, Thunderbolt 3 ports can act as USB too, and feeds into it.

Unfortunately I do not have a Thunderbolt controller in any of my builds, so am unable to check for you. It is certainly strange that they should have the same Location IDs for every port. I would suggest, selecting only the Z170 XHC controller and refreshing the Hackintool cache. Remove the Alpine Ridge entry if possible.

Generally I have not touched on Thunderbolt 3 in the "Beginner's Guide" because it is quite an advanced topic. Our resident expert is @CaseySJ .

Also @Feartech is correct, you need to set each port with the correct UsbConnector type. Easy to do in Hackintool. Just use the pull-down menu in column 5. :thumbup:

you have set almost everything to internal?
no it was just the beginning, i open hackintool and i see the usb port in double. I immediatly post the message before doing anything. Thanks

Well as you can see from your screengrab - IORegistryExplorer is showing the correct XHC USB ports. I suspect Hackintool is showing connections to the Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt controller. You have highlighted it in the top panel. Remember, Thunderbolt 3 ports can act as USB too, and feeds into it.

Unfortunately I do not have a Thunderbolt controller in any of my builds, so am unable to check for you. It is certainly strange that they should have the same Location IDs for every port. I would suggest, selecting only the Z170 XHC controller and refreshing the Hackintool cache. Remove the Alpine Ridge entry if possible.

Generally I have not touched on Thunderbolt 3 in the "Beginner's Guide" because it is quite an advanced topic. Our resident expert is @CaseySJ .

Also @Feartech is correct, you need to set each port with the correct UsbConnector type. Easy to do in Hackintool. Just use the pull-down menu in column 5. :thumbup:

So I have remove TB3 entry, test all my "double" USB port with USB2 key and USB3 key. Each time just one port react. So I select and delete all no reacting port and restart computer. It works, I don't have any double anymore. Even after another restarting and add TB3 entry. So I configure UBS port, export and intall kext, delete old usb SSDT and restart. Everything is WORKING GREAT ! Thank you Utterdisbelief !

Back