Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Hah, thanks for the encouragement.. I need it.
Okay, I removed a whole lot to get down to 15 ports, exported the USBPorts.kext file, dropped it in my EFI (replacing the old) and deleted USBInjectAll.kext from the same folder.
Then used OpenCore Config to rename USBInjectAll.kext to USBPorts.kext, and I removed the ExecutablePath field.
Also un-ticked XhciPortLiimit.

Restarted to test things out. Bluetooth isn't working, but it is trying to. I was able to connect my keyboard, but then it drops. Even my wired keyboard is wigging out a bit (repeating strokes, ignoring others). Also tried to connect to my bluetooth Airpods; same experience - it'd connect, but then drop almost immediately.

Dropping a screenshot of Hackintool with the remaining USB ports as well as my config.plist in OpenCore Config.
View attachment 454051
View attachment 454052
i wouldn't use opencore configurator to edit your config.plist

i wouldn't use opencore configurator to edit your config.plist
Okay, I opened the config.plist with XCode to check it's settings matched what I did with OpenCore Config and it appears to me to be good -

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 3.47.45 PM.png

Hah, thanks for the encouragement.. I need it.
Okay, I removed a whole lot to get down to 15 ports, exported the USBPorts.kext file, dropped it in my EFI (replacing the old) and deleted USBInjectAll.kext from the same folder.
Then used OpenCore Config to rename USBInjectAll.kext to USBPorts.kext, and I removed the ExecutablePath field.
Also un-ticked XhciPortLiimit.

Restarted to test things out. Bluetooth isn't working, but it is trying to. I was able to connect my keyboard, but then it drops. Even my wired keyboard is wigging out a bit (repeating strokes, ignoring others). Also tried to connect to my bluetooth Airpods; same experience - it'd connect, but then drop almost immediately.

Dropping a screenshot of Hackintool with the remaining USB ports as well as my config.plist in OpenCore Config.

Keep going, you'll get there :thumbup:

Whatever opinions there may be on the use of OpenCore Configurator ...

I must have missed something here:

Why are you using the VoodooPS2Controller kexts?

Why are you using the SATA-200-Series-unsupported kext?

Why are you using the NoTouchID kext?

This looks like it might be some old Laptop configuration, not one for a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Extreme.

Last edited:

This looks like it might be some old Laptop configuration, not one for a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Extreme.
That's a good question. When I was stuck at the ACPI step while following the Vanilla OpenCore guide, and @pastrychef graciously offered to help me out by handing over his EFI folder, having a similar board to mine.
I think that's where those extra kexts came in. Probably safe to delete those?

Keep going, you'll get there :thumbup:

Whatever opinions there may be on the use of OpenCore Configurator ...

I must have missed something here:

VoodooPS2Controller will enable the PS/2 port(s) on the motherboards. I have been using an old school PS/2 mechanical keyboard with my desktop for a long time.

SATA-200-Series-unsupported will make System Information > SATA show "Intel 11 Series Chipset" instead of "Generic". It's just cosmetic. Should not cause any harm. In Contents, it's just an info.plist.

NoTouchID can help speed up the booting process. Should not cause any harm if you want to delete it.

I have been using these kexts on my desktops for a long time now. They are not laptop-only kexts.

Last edited:
That's a good question. When I was stuck at the ACPI step while following the Vanilla OpenCore guide, and @pastrychef graciously offered to help me out by handing over his EFI folder, having a similar board to mine.
I think that's where those extra kexts came in. Probably safe to delete those?

Okay, understood. You didn't need to explain but it does help.

I have to bow to @pastrychef 's superior knowledge here :thumbup:

I couldn't see any PS/2 ports on your motherboard when I checked the spec. My bad.

:)

Okay, understood. You didn't need to explain but it does help.

I have to bow to @pastrychef 's superior knowledge here :thumbup:

I couldn't see any PS/2 ports on your motherboard when I checked the spec. My bad.

:)
Also with hackintosh.... "Less is more" :)

Searched around and did end up finding a USB map for the Xtreme version of my board.
It accounts for most ports that show up in Hackintool, with the exception of:
HS01, HS09-12, USR1, USR2, SS07-10.
I am content to disable MOST USB ports just to get this thing working honestly.

I wonder if Bluetooth might "partially" work and just needs me to get under the 15 limit because today my Apple Watch asked me if I want to trust the Hackintosh, and Apple Watch communicates via Bluetooth, right?

Back to the original guide - Step 5 for OpenCore instructs to replace USBPorts.kext -AND- to amend the kext name in my config.plist.. remove PLR_patches, etc.
That second part is new to me (I had help with the original setup from @pastrychef) so I don't actually know what steps to take to amend the kext name.
If I open my config.plist with XCode, I can find 14 items under Kernel > Add, but I don't see any of those as USBPorts.kext. (though I do see Item 8 is USBInjectAll.kext).
Is this where I am adding USBPorts.kext?
Or am I way off?

Also, XHCI Handoff is enabled in BIOS.

Made my own USB map for my Z390 Aorus Xtreme below:
View attachment 454042

Okay then, if I can remember where we were...

Now that you show HS14 is associated with the CNVI port it seems to me the "ghost" bluetooth entry you are seeing is the one on the Intel wi-fi card Gigabyte include. If there is a setting, disable the onboard Intel wifi/bluetooth.

It is known that the Intel BT part of their adapters can actually work, though the Wireless side does not (yet). So it's logical to assume you are seeing this.

Disabling the entry in Hackintool is a good idea BUT the adapter does need disabling in BIOS. What will happen when you disable is that the port is free to be used again BUT is actually registered as an IOUSBHostDevice already. :thumbup:

Once that is sorted there's still the problem of BT connectivity using Fenvi on HS13 ?

Okay then, if I can remember where we were...

Now that you show HS14 is associated with the CNVI port it seems to me the "ghost" bluetooth entry you are seeing is the one on the Intel wi-fi card Gigabyte include. If there is a setting, disable the onboard Intel wifi/bluetooth.

It is known that the Intel BT part of their adapters can actually work, though the Wireless side does not (yet). So it's logical to assume you are seeing this.

Disabling the entry in Hackintool is a good idea BUT the adapter does need disabling in BIOS. What will happen when you disable is that the port is free to be used again BUT is actually registered as an IOUSBHostDevice already. :thumbup:

Once that is sorted there's still the problem of BT connectivity using Fenvi on HS13 ?
Okay, I looked in BIOS and found the option disable Wifi. Nowhere can you disable Bluetooth, but I went ahead and disabled the Wifi and rebooted.
It may have made some difference. For the first time I was able to connect my bluetooth keyboard and type with it... for about 1 minute.
I then opened IOReg and the red text with strikethrough started adding up as I'd scroll, my keyboard disconnected, and now won't work again. When I opened bluetooth settings in System Prefs, I got the beachball.

I've seen some have had to physically remove the Wifi/Bluetooth card on their MoBo, but since I was able to disable Wifi, and it did seem to make a difference for a moment, do you think there's another way to solve this other than physically removing the Wifi card?

btw, even with my wired keyboard, input is not consistently working. Sometimes there'll be a long delay, or repeated inputs. It almost feels like the MBP butterfly keyboard problem Apple experienced with their last gen.

Back