Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Okay here come a few screenshots. There was a sea of red text, so I'm sparing you a few screenshots of that red text and sending the start, second part, and the end (leaving out maybe 3-4 shots worth). Hope this makes sense.
View attachment 453520
View attachment 453521

View attachment 453522

Right, you need to close up some of those big tree nodes so you just have the port name line and the one below it, so for example HS02 / 4-port USB2 Hub etc.

What you are looking for is somewhere around HS09 - HS12 for the bluetooth adapter. Now as it is Fenvi it comes with a cable that plugs in to a two-port motherboard header, but is only connected to one of them.

If there really is nothing showing with a detail similar to "20702" then you need to check the cable physically.

If you'd rather not do all of this then just open the File/Save As... menu of IORegistryExplorer, export the file and then upload it here.

:)

@UtterDisbelief Ask and you shall receive. The latest Hackintool, Thank you @headkaze!

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 4.45.59 PM.png

Right, you need to close up some of those big tree nodes so you just have the port name line and the one below it, so for example HS02 / 4-port USB2 Hub etc.

What you are looking for is somewhere around HS09 - HS12 for the bluetooth adapter. Now as it is Fenvi it comes with a cable that plugs in to a two-port motherboard header, but is only connected to one of them.

If there really is nothing showing with a detail similar to "20702" then you need to check the cable physically.

If you'd rather not do all of this then just open the File/Save As... menu of IORegistryExplorer, export the file and then upload it here.

Hey @UtterDisbelief , sorry for the delay, but I collapsed those trees and I think found what you were looking for - under HS14 I see a BluetoothHostController.
Attaching that screenshot, along with the exported file from IO in case it's helpful.

I tried working on this machine for a couple hours this morning and would continually get lags/delays with my mouse, keyboard, and wacom tablet. Think it's related to this?

Thanks again for the help!
Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 12.13.39 PM.png

Attachments

• Mac Pro 2020.ioreg
    7.2 MB · Views: 47
Hey @UtterDisbelief , sorry for the delay, but I collapsed those trees and I think found what you were looking for - under HS14 I see a BluetoothHostController.
Attaching that screenshot, along with the exported file from IO in case it's helpful.

I tried working on this machine for a couple hours this morning and would continually get lags/delays with my mouse, keyboard, and wacom tablet. Think it's related to this?

Thanks again for the help!
View attachment 453777

Hi there.

Your Bluetooth controller is actually on HS13.

USB2.jpg

You will need to double-check what type of port HS13 is and where. IORegistryExplorer shows it is where a USB2 Hub of ports is attached. The same is true for HS11. Confusingly the Gigabyte manual states this hub is attached to a header under the shield (?)

Whichever way is up, Hub ports are not recommended for a BT connection.

HS14 is actually a good choice however it has been configured for other use by the system. Yes, BT is showing up there too, although only a "ghost" and something must be causing it. Maybe the Thunderbolt controller reserving some ports. Not sure at this point.

Okay, what to do?

You need to check and find a free header port that does not have anything else associated with it. Sorry I can't do that remotely - I don't have your motherboard. But it should not be a Hub port and obviously able to accept your Fenvi lead.

Any further problems will be caused by two factors - 1) going over Apple's 15-port limit, and 2) Having your Wacom tablet connected on a port next to BT/Keyboard.

Hi there.

Your Bluetooth controller is actually on HS13.

Okay, what to do?

You need to check and find a free header port that does not have anything else associated with it. Sorry I can't do that remotely - I don't have your motherboard. But it should not be a Hub port and obviously able to accept your Fenvi lead.

Any further problems will be caused by two factors - 1) going over Apple's 15-port limit, and 2) Having your Wacom tablet connected on a port next to BT/Keyboard.

I opened up the machine and swapped the two USB headers I have. The other one (F_USB2) was being used by my Corsair AX1600i PSU. So now the fenvi card is going into that one, and the PSU is going into F_USB1.
I took a look at IO and it appears to me that the item you pointed to, (BRCM20702) is still under HS13?
I looked at my Gigabyte Xtreme Z390 manual and I think the only USB headers (2.0/1.1) I have are these two along the bottom. It does not in the manual, "For purchasing the optional USB bracket, please contact the local dealer."
Is that something I'd need if these two headers aren't enough?

You mentioned I may be experiencing problems because I'm going over Apple's 15-port limit. So is that just a matter of disabling USB ports I am not using? And would that possibly explain why my keyboard, wacom, etc are sometimes freezing up, not responding?

(attaching updated IO report since swapping these)
Gigabyte Z390 Map.png

Attachments

• Mac Pro 2020v2.ioreg
    6.3 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Seems my board is a little bit different. (Asus X99 Deluxe)

Here is my usb map on the back, plus 2 front usb3.0 on the motherboards which located as HS01-HS04/SS01-SS04.
Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 5.38.08 PM.png

The interesting part is the last two USB ports on the back which are located in PCI0/RP07/D08D. If I plug a USB device in those two ports, it will not show up in hackintool. If we check in IOregexplorer, the device shows like this:

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 4.44.55 PM.png

How to enable these two ports in USBports.kext? I guess only using hackintool would not be enough right? Since it's even not listed as an USB port in that tool.

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 4.45.04 PM.png

I also attached the USB specification of my motherboard.

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 5.35.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 5.37.00 PM.png

Seems my board is a little bit different. (Asus X99 Deluxe)

Here is my usb map on the back, plus 2 front usb3.0 on the motherboards which located as HS01-HS04/SS01-SS04.
View attachment 453818

The interesting part is the last two USB ports on the back which are located in PCI0/RP07/D08D. If I plug a USB device in those two ports, it will not show up in hackintool. If we check in IOregexplorer, the device shows like this:

View attachment 453819

How to enable these two ports in USBports.kext? I guess only using hackintool would not be enough right? Since it's even not listed as an USB port in that tool.

View attachment 453820

I also attached the USB specification of my motherboard.

View attachment 453821
View attachment 453822

Hi there,

Yes those two ports are on a third-party controller - ASMedia - and as such are not a part of the Apple 15-port limit. A few years back we could use an extra kext to configure them but sadly it has not been updated for 5 years and no longer works.

The ASMedia ports show up, as you can see in Hackintool, however macOS treats them as external just as it would in a real Mac Pro and that is why they show in the RP** node of the IORegistryExplorer tree.

They should work but without a proper driver may not be reliable.

I opened up the machine and swapped the two USB headers I have. The other one (F_USB2) was being used by my Corsair AX1600i PSU. So now the fenvi card is going into that one, and the PSU is going into F_USB1.
I took a look at IO and it appears to me that the item you pointed to, (BRCM20702) is still under HS13?
I looked at my Gigabyte Xtreme Z390 manual and I think the only USB headers (2.0/1.1) I have are these two along the bottom. It does not in the manual, "For purchasing the optional USB bracket, please contact the local dealer."
Is that something I'd need if these two headers aren't enough?

You mentioned I may be experiencing problems because I'm going over Apple's 15-port limit. So is that just a matter of disabling USB ports I am not using? And would that possibly explain why my keyboard, wacom, etc are sometimes freezing up, not responding?

(attaching updated IO report since swapping these)
View attachment 453812

Yes, you are correct, the 4x USB2 ports your motherboard has are those two headers - F_USB1 and F_USB2. As you know each header is actually 2x ports. Depending on what type of plug your Fenvi came with you may or may not be able to select each (a 9-pin plug only accesses 1x port and blocks the other. A 5-pin plug can be moved to each one etc).

To be honest I'm surprised that neither of these ports is working correctly for you. Although it doesn't look as though you have, have you installed any third-party USB-related kexts anywhere? XHCI-unsupported, GenericUSBXHCI or FakePCIID_XHCIMux? Any SSDT patches? These can cause the "ghosting" we are seeing.

Of course, my suggestion now is to follow this guide and complete your USB configuration. That way macOS is not seeing something it doesn't understand.

Run Hackintool and see what USB configuration it shows (as per the guide). Remember you have a Thunderbolt controller in the mix here and it will "attach" to a couple of conventional USB3 ports, because they work with USB3 devices too etc.

Post a screengrab of the Hackintool USB pane.

Last edited:
Hi @UtterDisbelief thank you for your guide, I just discovered it... Have been using USBInjectAll with SSDT-UIAC on my NUC8 and wanted to ask a couple of setup questions, if you know (or anyone else of course, is welcome).

1. You mention on your first post:
The physical port is the same, but how it is enumerated is different depending on what type of device is plugged-in - USB2.0 is an HS** port and USB3.0/3.1 is an SS** port. So as you can see, a single, physical USB3 port counts as 2x ports towards our 15-limit because either type of device can be plugged in to it.

I agree on that of course, but I still wanted to ask you if, for the sake of being 100% accurate on later computers without EHCI controller but only XHCI, we should (or not) mark all HS0x ports as USB2 instead of USB3 controller type? Indeed HS probably stands for "High Speed" but as USB 2.0 devices are mapped only to HS0x ports and USB 3.0 devices show as SS0x ports (in IOReg) is it better to tell the system that HS0x is eventually a USB2 type controller? (on Hackintool, prior to exporting) Any ideas why we should (not)? Just to learn...

2. And speaking of learning (part of Hackintoshing joy) it was my prior understanding to reading your guide that USBPorts.kext (being a binary-less kext) was replacing SSDT-UIAC.aml only; didn't realise we don't need USBInjectAll.kext anymore! Is this valid for Mojave or only Catalina and forward? And do you understand the mechanics on how its special Info.plist manages to "force" USB port names etc. to the system without the need of a binary kext such as USBInjectAll.kext? It's very interesting how this is achieved, to my opinion!

Thank you all for your input!

Back